Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Another "Should I sell it?" dilema-1936 Chevy Wrecker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fan Attic, Apr 22, 2014.

1. It's raining here today and one of my finished projects is sitting outside while the barn is full of "some day" treasure. I'm thinking my '36 Chevy takes up a lot of space, and I haven't used it for years now. Maybe it's time to pass it on. It started life at a salvage yard 45 miles from my house, I have the original title. I drove it home about '91. The body is rust free, never painted, and still runs and drives with a little work. I has it's original Weaver Auto Crane single mast with a "vintage" home made extension boom. I used to hang building trusses with it up to about 10 years ago. Should I clean it up and put it on the big old interweb or just sell it locally? It's a 1 1/2 ton so would a buyer even consider shipping it? I can't find anything similar that has sold in the past few years so where do I start on price?
    Or should I go to COSTCO tonight and get a canopy for the nice one? I never sell anything so this is hard. I really am an addict.:( I'll never find another I could afford and I'm not sure why but that really bothers me.
    I'd appreciate constructive comments, WAGS, or even snide remarks if they're not too scathing.
    I wan't sure where a question like this belongs, or if it even belongs on the board so Mods please modify as necessary.

2. Here is an easy way to figure it out! Lay a tape measure on the floor, extended out to about say 80 inches. Now make a mark at the "0" and another at oh lets say "75", now make another mark at your age (say 55) or however old you are, now stand back and look at how much their is before your age and look at how much their is to the 75 and roughly that is how much time you have left! now look at the projects and think how many you really have time for...That should put it into perspective for you.:D:eek::eek:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. 1960fordf350

1960fordf350
    from ohio

Let's see a pic!!

4. DAMN, my willy used to almost be longer than that.:mad: Maybe I should try it again with my glasses on.
    Really, Thanks for the reply. I guess I knew that, I just have these fantasies of building cars with my grandsons like I did with their parents. I'll dred the day one of them shows me a picture and says "I love this one, what happened to it?"

5. I know I have some, somewhere. I'll need to get it out for a spin and take some of how it looks now.

6. I found a few old pictures from the first building I put up with her. This old girl has the nicest original grill I've ever found. The side panels on the bed are rusty around the edges, but last I looked there still was no rust in the cab or front end. Check out the factory flaired running boards and wide rear fenders!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. I just had a friend PM me with an add for one in Ohio similar to mine but without a bed for $18,000! Is that reasonable? If it is, maybe I could sell something after all???

8. shadams

shadams

That is cool....So is the cab/hood/grill the same size as a regular 1/2 ton or is it all supersized for the 1.5ton frame? It looks a hell of a lot bigger to me but that may just be becuase of the tall tires....either way I would have a hard time parting with that if it were me...

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Flip a coin.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Hard to part with it, but whatcha gonna DO with it? How often do you need a wrecker?

If it were mine, I'd look into putting a different bed on it (saving the old one - even try to make it easy to go on/off) and using it as a truck most of the time. No way I'd sell, but I'd try to make it somewhat practical so I'd use it more.

11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Sell it.
    Pass it on to someone who will cherish it.
    You can choose the buyer in a way.You'll recognize the flipper or hoarder.
    I will mention I do not have a sentimental bone in my body.If I am not using a vehicle it goes away.

12. Looks like a museum piece to me, should bring some good coin.

13. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

awesome! :) I LIKE it!

14. I've got a '36 pickup too and the only difference is the wheel well opening on the fender. If I remember the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are about a 17" or 18" or so radius and the 1 1/2 ton and up are about 20" radius. I think a 1 ton may be a unique size between those, but I'm not sure as I don't have one of those. I'll try to get her out for some fresh pictures this weekend. Any opinions on where to sell, or what it's worth, if I can part with it after driving it again? I've got to make some room somehow.

15. raven

raven

That thing is cool just the way it is. Not something you see very often at all.
    It's nice to see something original (and respected) like this.
    r

16. sell it and let another enjoy it. Thats an awesome truck and it will be good to put some coin in the pocket, and as said before, you get to choose its new home, so patience and use the force young jedi.

17. I used to use it pretty regularly lifting bodies, setting trusses and columns, even pulled a few trees with it. The add-on 20' boom (came with it, made of old drive lines and succor rod) is pretty handy. Now after two back surguries, a shoulder rebuild and now a hip I'm not sure I'll get into many projects that need that kind of grunt, and my kids don't have room for it. I sure do like it though.

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think you've got something pretty special there, but I also think it's a good time to find someone who's as excited about it as you once were if not even more so. I took a look at the pictures and I got excited about it, it's the coolest and nicest old tow rig survivor I think I've ever seen. The homemade equipment only adds to its charm and history.

So I think it's unique enough to attract a buyer that would want it enough to have it hauled, yes. Most of these trucks are in pieces, incomplete, or just rotten; yours is in great shape, therefore, likely a hen's tooth.

I think the trick is going to be connecting with the right buyer. I don't think placing ads locally in the paper or on CL will get you too much worthwhile, maybe try Hemmings or over on stovebolt?

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Very cool wrecker! If I had it I'd probably convert it to a car hauler so I could haul my cars in style!

20. belair

belair

Sell it while you can enjoy letting someone else get it, as well as their money.

21. Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll drag a battery and some gas out and get her running this weekend and get some current pictures. I know it's not really a "traditional hotrod" so I guess I'll have to sign up on Stovebolt and see if I can learn how to load pictures to one of the photo host services they appear to require. I tried selling on Hemmings back in the 80's and it didn't work out, but maybe they've changed too?

22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'd go so far as to suggest maybe looking into auctions where big truck collectors would be. It's probably a lot of trouble, but might be worth looking into at least.

It's certainly going to be worth your while researching where the action is with these type of vehicles.

23. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If you're not enjoying it every day, sell it, and enjoy something else every day. Life is short.

24. lostmind

lostmind

I would have said keep it until you said you had a 36 pickup. You have enjoyed it
    and have a nice story to go with it. Have someone make a video of you telling the story how you got it , and all the details of it. That way the grand kids won't have to wonder.
    Wish I would have done that with each of the 125 cars I sold. a story with each.
    When you sell one , you open up avenues for something else to happen.
    Life's an adventure , allow someone else to have at it if your kids aren't interested.
    $18.000 seems like a starting point. You will know by the response if your near the ballpark.
    AACA forum is a good starting point.
    Good luck ,
    Neat truck.

25. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I'd let a museum put it on display, that way other people can enjoy it, the museum houses it and you still have access to it if you want.

26. I guess that's the essence of my affliction. I enjoy knowing I have it in the barn every day, along with way too may others. I'm an addict.
    I just had a friend call me last nght wanting to buy a truck frame I have out behind a bunch of other stuff. Since I'm getting the truck out anyway I think I'll have him put the big boom on and reach back there and get the frame rather than move all the stuff in the way, then use it to set the truck bed that is on that frame off onto another truck.

27. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

Man, I wish I had the money and a place to put it. I would love to have this. It would look great together with my 37 GMC T-14. I have always liked the old wreckers. I have only seen one other one. It is pretty complete but in poor condition and sitting in an old barn. I have asked several times about it but the guy wont sell it. I also have a cousin who has a '38 chevy that has been in the family since new and only been out of the county once. I have been trying to get my hands on that one for two years now. It's all apart and in his basement. He was going to put it on an s-10 frame with a 454. I'm glad he got side tracked becasue he hasn't done it yet and there may still be hope to putting it back together on the original frame.

I would have a hard time parting with that cool rig, using it or not. I realy like it.

28. Man, I'd be torn also... That thing is huge to try storing, when you have others... I'm just a short distance from Dickshooter... I'd love to come by and drool some...

29. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Thats a sweet old truck ..