Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taylor Dawson Chevrolet - Detroit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6t4, Nov 24, 2010.

1. 6t4

6t4
    from Ohio

Does anyone on the HAMB remember this dealer located at 9689 Grand River Ave, in Detroit...near Livernois....they operated from 1960-1970....Any information, photos, memorabilia, race parts purchased etc....much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

In the fall of 1970 I bought a 1971 Chevelle there. At that time it was Emmert Chevrolet. Salesmans name was Dick Hogan, a short fellow with a brush haircut who chain smoked & mainlined coffee.

3. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

While I don't have any memorabilia, I do remember it. With the limited brain cells I still have, I can still see it. There were alot of dealers in that area back then. The orignal Stark Hickey Ford just down Grand River from there, Floyd Rice Ford down Livernois and the place I got my start Hettche Ford at W. Grand Blvd & 14th street (two blocks from where the 67 riots started).

4. zmandet

zmandet

Your Chevelle should have came From Emmert Chevrolet, located at 20000 Grand River, on the corner of Evergreen. Taylor Dawson was located on Grand River just east of Livernois.

5. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Wasn't that dealer on the corner of Grand River & Evergreen the orignal Stu Evans LM or were there dealers on both corners?

6. zmandet

zmandet

Grand River and Evergreen I remember it being Emmert Chevy, with the new car showroom on the n/w corner and the used car lot on the n/e corner, then you had Mulligan Lincoln Mercury 1 block west of there on the corner of Grand River and Vaughan. Oh and by the way... 57 Custom 300... I still like that license plate frame on your car!

7. zmandet

zmandet

I Found an ad for Mulligan Lincoln Mercury tonight, their address was 20020 Grand River.:D

8. BULLITT65

BULLITT65
    from Indiana

Hi, I saw your thread and was hoping you guys may remember A dealership around the same time in plymouth michigan by the name of "JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET" they were located at 345 N. main st. I purchased a 69 camaro that had the p.o.p. with this dealer on it, and I would greatly appreciate any memorabilia key chains license frames anything really from this dealer. please let me know thanks

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

First post on the HAMB and you're ASKING for something???

10. I had some distant cousins (Ver Hoevens) that owned Ver Hoven Chevrolet in Royal Oak, I've been looking for a license plate frame for my Chevy powered Ford for years... or even one of those chrome dealios that go on the decklid.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  11. BULLITT65

BULLITT65
    from Indiana

there is one that just popped up on ebay today check it out auction # 320850197257 . little pricey but hard to find. I would pay that if I could find the jim edelbrock chevrolet one I have been looking for .... Plymouth michigan. Come on people help me out here!!!

(to: lady cruiser)
    pretty nice, my 2nd post and I am helping someone out on here.... ..........where you at cruisin lady???

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  12. Deuces

Deuces

Stu Evens Motorsport went on to be Livernois Engineering at some point... I'm still trying to get in there as an engine builder... :rolleyes:

13. Deuces

Deuces

DOH!..... Best go do an intro before these guys rip you a new one.. ;)

14. BULLITT65

BULLITT65
    from Indiana

whatever man, I am on here to help guys out when I can, and hopefully they can do the same given the opportunity. I'm not trying to ask the guys permission to take his daughter out on a date here..... just looking for parts

15. BULLITT65

BULLITT65
    from Indiana

Ok man your lucky day, I found another VER HOVEN license frame and License plate for $14.99!! Ebay auction number 191132691121.

Do me a favor and get it so at least one of has what were looking for.

Attached Files:

16. Ver Hoven Chevrolet was at Mc Nichols (Six Mile) and Van Dyke in Detroit. Building is still standing, now a tire store. The Chevy dealers in Royal Oak were Matthews-Hargreaves and possibly Cauley-Serra. Matthews Hargreaves was displaced for construction of I-696 and Cauley-Serra split up with Serra becoming a dealer chain mainly in the Flint area and Cauley opening a dealership in West Bloomfield Twp. in the late 70's. Cauley was a casualty of the dealer closings around here.

17. BULLITT65

BULLITT65
    from Indiana

18. I was 13 when we left Roseville in '77... My parents bought only one car there and it was a '65 Impala, I was only 1 y.o. at the time.

They closed in 1980.

19. I got it!!!! Woo Hoo!

20. BULLITT65

BULLITT65
    from Indiana

WTG. Hey still helping out here. I just found an original dealer Key chain from Ver Hoven: eBay auction number :
    ( I am still looking for Jim Edelbrock Chevrolet items, or a metal Berger Chevrolet license frame)

21. BULLITT65

BULLITT65
    from Indiana