Register now to get rid of these ads!

is this Von Dutchs work??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, May 19, 2013.

1. Definitely not Von Dutch. The lettering was done with taped bottom and top lines and that wasn't done by letterers of the day. The thin tape had not been invented yet and the thick scotch tape of the day left too thick an edge and to sign writers that was a no no. It showed that you couldn't cut a clean edge with a brush.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

A fake signature like that turns my stomach.

3. hahaha! People will always try to fake Von Dutch's work,after the HUGE money his stuff was auctioned off for. Even late in his life,when he was,let's say,"ripe",his stuff looked better than that! That signature almost looks like a kid did it,hahaha....

4. Jrockbass

Jrockbass

The lettering looks nice but the pinstriping doesn't look up to par for him.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Couldn't find anything like that sign in the Von Dutch Scrapbook...

6. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

In Andy Southard's book "Hot Rods of the 50's", on page 51, there is a closeup of Von Dutch's signature...This one is not even close to being a good fake. :mad:

7. Well, I don't know shit about von dutch pinstriping but Prewar brings up a good point. This is definitely faked patina.

It's not a real business for sure. Having also grown up in this area, no one would ever name a repair business "El Diablo" and expect to have much business. It would be bad ju-ju. Also, if you had a business, wouldn't you put your address/phone number on the signage too?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You know what would be a nice capper to this thread?
    Some pictures of nice examples of the REAL VonDutch's work! :D:D
    Anybody have some cool stuff they would like to post???

9. Jrockbass

Jrockbass

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371505055.122995.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371505072.705186.jpg

10. Jrockbass

Jrockbass

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371505635.285313.jpg

11. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

It might not be a fake... There just may be another pinstripe artist that is named or goes by "Von Dutch".... Theres an artist that is named Pablo Picasso but its not the same that did all those paintings along time ago...

12. Jrockbass

Jrockbass

LOL... Wow, that's lame.

13. If that's Dutch he was on a downer.

14. sideways27

sideways27

My opinion, This is not Von Dutch's work and not close. Dutch very seldom even signed his work unless it was for someone he liked and was asked to. The signatures, not Von Dutch's. He also did not want his work to be commercial, just wanted it to be admired for its content. I study all Dutchs work and knew him back in the 50's when he was just another painter.
    Just my opinion

15. I thought that Von Dutch just made t-shirts and hats....

Bob

16. ^^^ hahahahaha best response yet!

17. Tudorp

Tudorp

Next to the sig is should have added "inspired". Would certainly be pegging the cool-o-meter if it was his hand though.

18. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Sadly the people who wear that stuff probably don't even know who Von Dutch was.:mad:

19. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I agree....Dutches work was a little sloppy and usually the ends didn't come to a nice even transition......they usually just overlapped each other......I'd say no..........but it's just an opinion...........truck and the lettering looks nice

20. Send a PM to Deuce3wCpe here on the HAMB.....he knows a lot about VD and his work. At one time, he had a large collection of his stuff.

Murph:cool:

21. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

Looks like a guy named Jon Dutch signed it to me.

22. It's a fake.

Von Dutch was bigger in legend than in real life. His striping and lettering was average, at best. To me, his guns and knives were more special than any striping and lettering that he ever did.

23. I was waiting in line in a store, girl behind me is wearing a VD shirt. I asked her if she knew who VD was.. she says no. I asked her why she would wear a shirt if she didn't know what it meant?

Anyway, I gave her some history on him plus his real name. I don't think she was impressed.

Bob

24. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

bobss396, same thing happened to me. Before I retired I worked in NYC. I was on the subway going up to the 66th St. stop. A bunch of teenagers get off at 66th to go to MLK High. I saw a kid with a Von Dutch jacket and asked her who he was and she said "he is a famous artist from Amsterdam, he is famous for his flowers and his art work is in several museums".

25. hahaha!!!

26. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes, his striping was "average" by today's standards.

But in the early 50's he was the best because he was the only striper and that's because he started the genre!

Every other striper built on his work and inspiration. Every striper working-even the best fifty year veterans-were lousy when they started. It takes practice to perfect. Dutch was merely finding his way and in the process became a living legend because his work was completely unique (as he himself was). His standard was himself.

27. That's a great perspective. Thanks for weighing in.

28. Larry T

Larry T

So Von Dutch originated pinstriping?

29. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Exactly.

He started flames too, as far as I know. Also, the first to airbrush onto a t-shirt!

30. Larry T

Larry T