Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Should
    Count
    On
    Terrific
    Time

2. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Hey Hokey Pokey if your still out there.....just finished the clutch on the gold 55....this is the first time ever it will have an insane clutch in it...takes both legs to hold it down and I have to use a stick on the gas until I launch to get the rpm's up...hope your still down for a real old school match race! But seriously clutch is in hooks the best it ever has now in 10 years!

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

Can't wait to see that beast rip and snort with a new clutch in its belly Koop!
    You might have to adjust your launch rpm to dial down the extra hit a bit.

Holy CRAP I love putting new parts on an old car!:D

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ric:
    I'm really getting pumped for the race....changing out my old ripped seats for a pair of universal buckets I bought as well....and changing out my slightly tweaked front bumper for one I got from some outfit in Ohio...;)

Scott

Ps: I really should mention that both my subframe connectors and my front bumper came from Crites,and I couldn't be happier with the quality.
    The finish of the bumper is absolutely straight,smooth,and flawless.
    Many guys will advertise their part as "ready for paint",but most aren't even close.
    My Crites bumper is getting cleaned and degreased,then a quick scuff and it's getting some silver paint.

The subframe connectors are built like a tank,and fit like a glove without modifications.There was a small interference with a strengthening bead stamped into the rear floor pan on the driver's side,but some quick hammer clearancing took car of that!

I would use Crites parts again in a heartbeat. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  5. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Im ready for some action.......this winter sucked!:D

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

I read you there! -40/-50 all winter long for me up in the arctic....:(

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Got the subs ready to weld in,but it's so damn tight with the exhaust under this little bugger,I'm not sure how I'm going to fit a driveshaft loop in there.....:S
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397934309.168575.jpg

Scott

8. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Eric, did you go through ram?

9. I spent most the day getting the RV ready for a week at Pismo Beach, I closed my eyes several times and fantasized I was getting ready to tow to Byron. I'm sharing a little bit of my skunk works stuff for the 56, with Uncle Joel Dirty. Even though he is running with the north, he put a proper 56 nose on his racer finally, so we're BFF's now. Its gonna hurt my heart a little when I "STOMP THE SILLY PUTTY OUTA ENGINE SLOW, & DIRTY JOE! (I'm frothing at the mouth, and looking maniacle this very instant)

PS. Eric Koopenhagen, I'm nawing on a clutch disc and throwing my arm wildly forward and backward thinking of you now (and I'm still frothing at the mouth, and looking even more maniacle!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  10. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Your killin me Ric! lol

11. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

We are about ready to race! Is it July yet?

Attached Files:

12. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Jeff(strokedstang331)and Jeff(91whitestang) gave me a hand today getting the engine back in the old Chevy. 83 year old sheetmetal was desecrated:D Thanks fellas.

Meltdown Drags
    July 18-20 2014

Attached Files:

55belairx2 likes this.
  13. That ole lady ain't gonna hold it against you man, not when your putt'n a whole lotta umph back in her step!

14. You're killin me Ric! :D

15. II FUNNY: Those stacks really look great!

16. Looks killer Kip! Cant wait to see her run.

17. ardyboy

ardyboy

II FUNNY...very cool!!!

18. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

thanks....I hope they run like they look.

Meltdown Drags
    July 18-20 2014

19. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

I got goose bumps at the photos ........car is gonna' be even more wicked!:D

20. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

[​IMG]
    Bad ass shot right here!;)

21. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Hey Falfa-

Glad to hear that you got a new clutch in that field car. It probably needed it after using that field car for plowing this winter.

If you been keeping up with those arm exercises this winter, it should make for a good match.

I can't say too much about what I have been working on this winter...the Okie has an element of surprise to it.

22. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

23. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

What kind of clutch, Falfa? Having trouble with mine...it was a centerforce....12". I bet I only got 15 runs on it and started slipping bad. Was one of those dual friction deals. Not sure I want to spend another 300 bucks on another one. Now i have to reface the flywheel. Sucks.

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

What was the clutch in?The Falcon?What kind of power are you making?Sounds like something else was contributing....maybe a weeping main seal,or some kind of funky action in your clutch linkage messing with the engagement/release?

Scott

25. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

yep in my falcon....sure wasnt enough power to ruin it. I did have rear main seal start leaking, but when I took it apart, the pressure plate or the flywheel didn't have a bunch of oil on it.....but it sure was glazed

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Damn...!
    My buddy runs those in his o/t mercs and has beat on them with everything form a 375hp Cleveland to a hot 428scj and never had a problem....he always ran street tires though.

Scott

27. dblgun

dblgun

I have also beat the crap out of some C/Force DF's and never had an issue. On the other hand even the best stuff fails every once in a while.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. i got tired of going through clutches a few years ago. i bought a mcloud street twin duel disc. it has lasted several years now with no problems. its the only clutch i have not been able to drive through and ruin in a few passes. not cheap to buy but worth it.

29. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

yea, i looked at those but 1000 bux makes me pucker....i know its probably worth it tho

30. i was told by the famous herb mccandles driver for ronnie sox and the first mopar parts distributor "no body has the money to do it right the first time but they always find the money to do it right the second time". i never forgot his words. how true they are. its like the guys that blow up 8 3/4 rear ends over and over. just buy the dana. after 2 blown 8 3/4s the dana is paid for. it took a long time for me to learn how to save money in the long run.