Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 rpu

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tedders, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Tedders

Tedders

Grinder works well, used a course wire wheel on the door came up nice. The body is in great shape very fortunate in that regards. There is two coats of paint red and green and they are thick. Was slow going with the wire wheel, I had another knotted wire wheel tried that on a small space in the back, paint flew off but it seemed harsh on the metal. Splash guards still on...if someone had have told me how the running boards, spare tire holder and splash guards would become that bane of my existence I would have laughed. More grinding tomorrow.

2. Tedders

Tedders

Great day today, most the bolts holding the truck bed came off with ease..minus one. Always has to be one trouble maker.

The gent who wants my 5 tires is going to pull the engine, blast it and paint in exchange. Turns out he has a shop and is a great new contact, think he was taken a back by how original I am keeping the car.

Have one side of the cab up, I am going to wait till the engine is pulled then go after the last bolt on the other side that's been tormenting me for two days..when she flies off that will be a sweet moment.

Then finally pull the splash guards I do not expect them to survive....after the time I have had I don't what them to lol.

Truck bed will be off next weekend, the wood is the original and has some cracks but I would like to save them...she's meant to be a driver not a show car..just keep reminding myself of the guys back in the day limited tools learning as you go.

Did some grinding on a door yesterday came out great, it will take a longgggg time but feels right, paying your dues and all.

Will load up some pics once I have items pulled and some more grinding down.

3. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya real nice build.. keep up the great work..

4. jetmek

jetmek

hey Tedders for that stuck carriage bolt just weld a piece of scrap to the head to act as a handle use a mig'''gas welding mite lite up the wooden body block

5. Tedders

Tedders

Thanks! Will try it this weekend

6. Canuck

Canuck

Another idea:

Get a "Nut Cracker". Handle with a screw pushed chisel blade that cuts through one side of the nut and spreads it open enough to remove. Found it irreplacable taking a 28 Chevy panel truck apart, everything was carriage bolts through wood.

Think I got it a Princess Auto.

No danger of fire that way.

Canuck

7. Tedders

Tedders

Headed there now, thanks!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  8. Tedders

Tedders

And deeper we go...

Beds off...last bolt gave and she came down with a bang..change underwear and went back to work

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397426749.710174.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397426759.050734.jpg

Engines coming out next week for blast and paint..what's up with this alternator I don't see one like this on anyone else's.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397426801.967690.jpg

Drained the radiator to remove tomorrow in anticipation of engine removal...smell gas in the coolant...uh oh..pretty sure it's from the transporters trying to get it started hope nothing serious.

9. Have you tried 3M purple strip discs for stripping paint? Far superiour to wire brush wheels :)

10. Carter

Carter

That is an early Model A Powerhouse Generator.

11. Tedders

Tedders

As you can see its in ruff shape, anything vintage I can replace it with or do most just use a mod generator?

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Just get it rebuilt. When I first got my coupe it came with a powerhouse and a regular A generator. I ran the more common A gen cause it already worked. The powerhouse would make a pretty cool detail on your banger.

13. Tedders

Tedders

Thanks appreciate the direction!

14. Tedders

Tedders

Having a "save your money and buy one already done" day.

Doing some grinding on the back end of the cab and it's warping the panel. Anything light will not take off the paint.

15. Carter

Carter

What are you using to strip it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Tedders

Tedders

Wire brush, tired the nylon or whatever it is started throwing brushes immediately. I have a guy who does blasting going to get a quote and do the frame my self. At least that came up good.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397503213.604534.jpg

17. Tedders

Tedders

To anyone starting off a build. Do not buy the aftermarket or speed toys first buy the right tools for the job...and get someone to soda blast.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397503300.652263.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397503307.505051.jpg

18. Tedders

Tedders

I'm not sure what made we go out tonight after work and get into the build but man am I happy I did...the spare tire holder is no more..the left running board is off..tremendous moment. I am sure most of you think I'm a newbie moron but you have to take the wins when you get them!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397687631.186283.jpg

The warping with the wire brush was bad, anything lighter doesn't take the paint off, tried a few of the other options no luck so waiting to hear how much a blast will cost me.

The material between the gas tank, cowl is really rotten in a few spots but when I look at all those old bolts under the dash that would have to be removed..well I'm not eager to do it. May see what the blasting leaves and use some small bead of something just to seal it for now. We will see.

Feeling good

19. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya great start.

20. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Have you tried aircrafty paint stipper?

21. Tedders

Tedders

Haven't been able to find any in the great white north..from what I understand in the States it's in Walmart and other major chains.

22. Tedders

Tedders

Just ordered a mess of parts, fingers crossed i get to the mail before my wife does..anyone have a couch to sleep on just incase?

23. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I just picked mine up at Canadian Tire.

24. Tedders

Tedders

Don't ever tell me they don't have a soul, my RPU has been getting so much attention that may 2010 truck decided to make an awful sound and throw its engine light on...not good

25. They sell a paint removal wheel that looks like a really hard foam. Large voids as it's about the size of a grinding wheel but fits on a drill. It works and does not seem to heat the material where it wants to warp. I believe it's made my 3m. Ill snap a pic when I'm at home.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Tedders

Tedders

Awesome thanks

27. Tedders

Tedders

Hmmm just pulled the rad and noticed this crack

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397910201.964047.jpg

28. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

easy fix with a MIG, going to find more of these cracks

29. Squablow

Squablow

Yup, super common on stockers. Take the U bolts off, Vee it out good and weld it up, nothing to worry too deeply about.

30. Tedders

Tedders

Vee it out?