Register now to get rid of these ads!

Be cautious on using Fastenal Third Party Logistics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Jun 11, 2013.

1. I read a lot of good things on the HAMB about using Fastenal third part logistics service for transporting large parts.

I recommended this ship method to BigDaddy for a 34 4-door seat pan that I had for sale in the classifieds

The process was straight forward, I contacted Fastenal via email with a description, pallet size, my nearest store in Mn, ship to Al and received a rate of $100 to ship insured. I palletized the seat pan, blocked it, labeled clearly with the buyers information, cell phone number, dropped it at the Fastenal store, where they had the bill of lading ready...and that is the last we have seen of the seat frame.

I contacted Fastenal after two weeks, and they admitted losing track of the pallet. BigDaddy and I discussed and gave them another couple weeks to locate the pallet. To date nothing has been recovered, so I will proceed with recovery from Fastenal and a refund back to BigDaddy....I feel bad as he really needs the seat frame for his project...Bummed that this is floating around out there somewhere..

So proceed with caution, I would guess this is not common for Fastenal, but if you use the service make sure to insure the shipment not just for the value but also your time and effort, and make sure to take a picture of what you are shipping.

So if any of you guy happen to be in a Fastenal store ask them if they have any un-claimed car parts!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stogy likes this.
  2. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Hoping for both parties that it will show up but it is not looking good.

3. Amoros

Amoros

Last time I went to get car parts from a store, they handed me an empty box. A set of points for my 63 Volkswagen beetle. He didn't notice the box was empty but I immediately did and opened the box. He said, hmmm that's weird... Never seen that happen before... Called over the other guy. Showed him. Other guy asked what it was for. He said it was for a beetle. Guy said... Hmmm Andy the new guy has a beetle... They both looked at each other and shook their heads rolled their eyes and both said the name Andy in a not so pleasant way.

4. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Only tried it one time but Greyhound worked well for a pair of fenders cross country and was relatively cheap.

dan griffin and belair like this.

5. UPS still hasn't found a Mor-Drop axle sent to me over 20 years ago. i wonder how they could loose that? i also wonder who's car it is in now?

SOHC427 likes this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

After the old thread on using Fastenal for shipping, I asked the counter guys at my location. Their response? "Yes we do, but I wouldn't."

7. I manage a Fastenal store and it works well and we use it. The risk increases with the more warehouses it goes through. I have shipped parts I buy from all over the US. But you never know. I once had a part lost that was picked in a warehouse show up a year later.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. error404

error404
    from CA

I got a quote for a set of 4 leaf springs to ship to the east coast, it was going to cost me over $200 to ship. The person buying was the one going to be responsible for paying the shipping, but after I got the quote, I told him it's not worth it, just find some springs locally. The shipping, plus what I was asking for them would have been more than brand new springs! And I wasn't asking that much. The weight was right at 100 pounds.

Kreepea_1 likes this.
  9. They ALL lose packages now and then. Fed Ex lost a M/T Sportsman tire I bought once. Well, I bought two, but got one :rolleyes:

10. stimpy

stimpy

one of the carriers I worked for HAd a OS&D dept ( over , short or damaged ) and often stuff that was not labeled would wind up in there and the idiots in the claims dept were often too lazy to go down there and look to see if the stuff was in there , I had set of slicks shipped to me via my own company , and they lost it at my terminal , filed a claim , and they said they couldn't find it , went to the cage and asked the guy in there sure shit there it was , the shipping label fell off it on the dock . when I brought it up to my managers attention , he asked how do I know its mine , I then told him for one it had the matched set markings on it that the shipper applied , and 2, how many cars do you know use a 14x32W slick in a medium hard compound ( superstock heavy body ) and they checked and sure nuff the unlabeled tire showed up the same time as my other tire did , as they almost ha to pay out a $350 claim . needless the people in that dept were not to happy as now they had to go to the dock every day and check the inventory ... every 6 months we would auction off the larger items , most of the small items us drivers would buy , like the deal I got on HD contractor trash bags , 6mil , make great engine bags , got a case for 10 bucks because the box was crushed .

11. 35desoto

35desoto

I am in New Zealand and have used FAstnall three times now -the last one took some time to reach its destination but for a simple boy down under they have served me well at good pricing. They have allowed me to buy car stuff in places I would not normal consider and so far its been a good win/win for everyone. I know that there is always a risk in using a third party but if you guys in the USA are close to the claims depot (or can ring them and it not be an international call) then it just becomes another weapon in your arsenal to get the bits and pieces you need. If you want to ensure nothing ever goes wrong go get it yourself and event then I bet there are times when the transport break down or there was an accident. Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world.

12. dan griffin likes this.
  13. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

I haved used them more than half a dozen times and so far fine....
    just gotta get used to the length of time..going thru the various terminals etc
    like someone above it they all have concerns

Karl Fields likes this.
  14. Snakeoyl Joe

Snakeoyl Joe

Greyhound has worked fine for me. Find out when it will be shipped and when it will arrive. And be there when it suppose to arrive. Don't let sit around.

dan griffin likes this.
  15. It's not just fastenal,,,UPS lost a radio and I got screwed all the way around,UPS claims you have a 100 dollar insurance coverage,turns out if you don't have a receipt for what you sent you are SOL,,I sent a '54 Ford Radio to a friend in Texas and it never showed up.

I fought with ups for about 3 months and nothing ever came of it..I hope yu get restitution. HRP

Karl Fields likes this.
  16. chubbie

chubbie

Your line about things disappear..

the part is somewhere isn't it? so it didn't disappear?? another comment from above was they are to lazy to go look, might be some kind of answer. I have had packages come to me with the box busted wide open and parts just hoovering inside!!! I always try to pack tight, heavy box, lotsa tape, and the expense of a hot glue gun to seal the box. (i always tell the buyer there is a charge for the boxing. a perfect fitting box and supplies cost $ and always bitch about cost) I also use tape, sharpie or somehow put phone numbers and both address on the parts (i'm sure one guy got the wrong address inside last week because the parts were sold to another that couldn't come up w/$ and was all boxed up! LOL!) I usually ask after the part is delivered what shape the box is in. (do i need to box better??) When they ask if i want insurance on it i usually tell them. i paid your fee now bring the package to them!!!!!

17. luckystiff

luckystiff

i make sure both my and the buyers address are in several places on the package. fedex says something to me every time i drop off a package since they have their little sticky labels. palletized i put it in a visible area on the pallet in paint pen, directly on the item in some way, and again on any external wrapping. theres no way "the info fell off the package". i also don't wait for a package to move. if i have a tracking on it if i don't see movement within 24hrs or if it stalls for more than 24hrs i'm on the phone with someone and getting eyes on why it's not moving. overkill but i think i've had 2 packages lost in 20 years.

oh and i hear people talk shit but unless it's a LARGE package that gets palletized i do about 95% of my shipping via fedex. but i know full well they all drop the ball sometimes...ken....

18. Things disappear everyday - even airliners .... ;)

Packages disappear - never to be found .... :cool:

Jim

19. Good things to consider. I have a trans in Tulsa that I was going to use Fastenal to ship.

20. 427v8

427v8
    from Minnesota

UPS insurance is worthless!
    FedEx and DHL, not much better...

Case in point.
    My boss shipt racing timing equipment all over the USA. They ship in 3 large ABS shipping containers. these contaners are 2'x2'x4' and made of 1/4ABS. The equipment is packed inside in custom cut foam with at least 2" of foam to the edges.

he's been shipping these things every weekend for years.
    One case got destroyed, it looked like it got run over by a big truck.
    So they filed a claim....

UPS said, well obviously your shipping container wasnt built strong enough and denied the clam! Luckily the club has a few lawyers so they got a partial settlement, but in no way did it cover the replacement of the damaged items. not to mention how much they spent on insurance.

I never buy insurance, they won't pay.

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years ago, I sold a pair of "triple-nickel" Chrysler hemi heads to a guy in Wisconsin. Because of the weight, I had to send each head as a separate shipment via Federal Express. They both "got lost" going from Minnesota to Wisconsin. After months of going 'round and 'round with FedEx, I received one greasy SBC smogger head in a busted up box. After that, they considered the claim as "resolved" and would do nothing for me. I looked into my legal options, and decided at the time that it would not be cost effective to go after them in court, so I chalked it up to "experience". To this day, I have a very negative opinion of FedEx and would not use them to send my garbage to the dump.

What do I think happened to the heads? I believe someone who is associated with FedEx stole them. Two large, heavy packages vanished into thin air. FedEx's reluctance to help me leads me to believe they may have knowledge of some internal problem, and are covering it up. Just my opinion.

22. Seems like you could sue them in small claims, get an award you can't collect, but sooner or later those things are going to add up to where an attorney general would shut them down.

Or just walk in the store with the award and walk out with a copy machine or something.

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I meant to start this thread 6 months ago! I sent a customers Honda race car hood Via Fastenel from here in Phoenix, and as the other stories it became lost somewhere between here and there. We waited a few more weeks, and it did show.... Unfortunately, even with "For love of God TOP SHIP ONLY" written clearly in about 20 places on the cardboard shipping container, it didn't prevent a shipping monkey from tying down to the top of a pallet with ratchet straps set on 11! Completely crushed it, and since they refuse to sell insurance, it's been a mess... Never again! I ship Grey Hound all over the country almost weekly, with absolutely no problems, guess it just didn't sound fancy enough for this guy...

dan griffin likes this.
  24. Davyj

Davyj

I use Fastenal in January to ship a Glide Engineering seat, took a couple of weeks, but got through with no problems . Went from Oklahoma to Nashville for a $100. Back in the late 60's I worked at a speed shop, every time we placed an order for Mickey Thompson tires, we would order 10 and expect only 4 or 5 to get through...............the rest disappeared in transit every time

25. fuzzface

fuzzface

Fastenal farms out some of their shipping now especially the cross country ones. Before they used their own trucks. went down hill when they started farming out.

26. PackardV8

PackardV8

X10 on this. Two of the worst experiences of my long life have been trying to get FedEx insurance to pay up. Once, I handed the package across the counter in Albany, NY and was at home in Spokane, WA when an empty box was delivered. I did everything right, proved FedEx employees had to be the thieves and never was able to collect a penny.

Back to Fastenal; over on GJ, I sold a Huot tool box to a member who asked me to drop it at the local Fastenal. He paid to have them package it. Recently, he PM'd me it arrived with the top damaged. Hope he can collect on their insurance.

jack vines

27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I needed a filter when working on a crane so I ordered one UPS next day air and three via ground from Iowa to Wisconsin. The three via ground arrived the following day and the one shipped next day air took 5 days.

28. Wow, this thread popped back up out of nowhere. I was glad I insured but I should have insured for more, Fastenal was great in terms of cutting a check for the insured amount.

Since this post has taken on a life with other shipping companies, and for those in the upper midwest take a look at Spee Dee Delivery. I just had a transmission quoted from the Southern most point in Illinois (near Paducah) to Mn and the rate price was fantastic.

29. I'm the 1 who shipped the seat to Davyj and it went real smooth on both ends,also used them 2 weeks later to ship an assembled roadster top and complete windshield set up for a 32 from Southern Ok to St Louis Mo.
    All packed and strapped to 1- 4' x 4' pallet for $100.
    took 3 days transit time.
    All parties involved were happy.

Lil32 likes this.