Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical radiator hose pressure! cooling problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40chevycoupe95, Apr 18, 2014.

1. quick question..
    on my1953 Packard clipper, I just got it running and when it gets to operating temp, the top and bottom rad. Hoses are under lots of pressure. I can't even squeeze them. Why would this be happening? It only happens when the car reaches operating temp...

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Possible head gasket leaking combustion gasses in coolant.

3. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Do you have a reliable temp gauge? If it were mine I'd check the actual water temp with a new gauge. What psi radiator cap do you have? My first reaction thinks its an overheating system that someone threw a heavier cap on to keep it from boiling over.

4. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

If you haven't already, start the car when its cold with the radiator cap off, check for nonstop bubbles.

5. 54vicky

54vicky

as already stated usually exhaust valve chamber leak ie cracked or head gasket not a good sign wrong cap a possibility cracked head hard to detect without proper equipment as some I have seen the crack only shows once hot it will be in pocket under valve if not easily seen in head

6. There's an app for that :)

Easy to test for combustion gasses in coolant - ask for it by name at your favorite parts store.

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Do you have an expansion tank plumbed into the system? Is your radiator cap of the proper pressure fr your system and functioning properly? Sounds to me like the coolant is expanding (as it should when it heats up), but may not have a place to go. So the pressure rises.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They are under pressure. What rad cap? Should be 4 pounds. Packards have a deep neck in the rad and need a special cap.

Must be ok, if pressure was too high it would be puking out the overflow.

Don't overfill the rad, leave a couple inches for expansion, or it will puke out the excess when it gets hot.