Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Small block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TINGLER, Apr 17, 2014.

1. TINGLER

TINGLER

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  2. I've never used that type of gasket, but if it's saturated now it seems that it'll only get worse the more you run it. I'd pull those off and get a good Fel Pro set, and when you do the front and back where it seals to the block, I always put a 1/4 inch bead of RTV red instead of the rubber ones in the gasket set.

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I don't know about your specific question, but I haven't seen you post in forever. Its good to see you back.

4. Fogger

Fogger

I've used no other gaskets than FelPro on all my builds. And always use the blue intake gaskets on sbc engines with aluminum intakes, never a leak or failure. Good luck with your project.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds like a normal thing for a paper gasket. Is it a problem? I'd leave it, but I'm not a white gloves kind of guy

6. squirrel

squirrel

I'm doing ok. been building a Chevy II altered wheelbase car, it's a blast

Sounds like you have other things you should be worrying about, besides oil seeping into a gasket

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd just keep an eye on it, and if it gets to where it's making any mess on that nice clean intake, then I'd pull it again and put a new intake set on.

8. Yeah, study its habits and if makes a mess, then do something about it. I've always used Felpro gaskets on almost anything myself. I do use their intake end pieces, but give it a shot of 3M Weatherstrip adhesive (aka Gorilla Snot..) at the corners where it meets the heads.

I also use a touch of Permatex blue silicone sealer under them and let them set up over night before dropping the manifold in place.

Bob

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Is it wicking up through the gaskets OR through the bolts? The overall appearance would be the same. Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. stimpy

stimpy

all the paper gaskets I have used over the years all wick up oil and it helps swell it to keep the seal . its not a big problem untill they get older and can cause smoking issues on deacelleration . looks like crap sometimes after it gets dirt on it . change out to the felpro permatrques and no more oil .

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Like said above , could be oil coming up the threads on those bolts or could be a little seepage from the V/C gaskets

dave

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As far as the bolt issue. What thread sealer are you guy's using? That's my issue.

13. stimpy

stimpy

I use teflon paste and adjust the torque specs to match .

14. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

Yes it follows the bolt thread. Take them out one at a time put some sealer on each re tighen them and wha lah no leak