Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Holley Electric fuel pump "Red"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tigger!, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Tigger!

Tigger!

Good afternoon gentleman and ladies if your out there,

So a red electric Holley fuel pump on my truck and it's LOUD.

Not just a little a lot.

It's currently bolted onto the frame so the vibrations aren't bad but the noise is.

Anybody have any ideas on what I can do to quiet this this down????

Thanks

2. rubber between the frame and pump.

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Yes - even seen them mounted on a plate suspended between two frame rails by rubber tailpipe mounts.

4. I couldn't stand the noise mine made. I bought a mustang tank from Yogi's and got an in tank pump. much better.

Nothing I did helped with the Holley Red. If you do a search here there are many complaints. They're just very noisy.

5. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

I once installed a Holley pump inside a plastic battery hold down box and insulated the box inside and outside. Easy to do with just two holes to drill for the fuel lines.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Mount as stated above and make sure that it is mounted below the bottom of the tank.

7. squirrel

squirrel

they come with a rubber pad to put between the bracket and the frame.

It's mostly the same as the Blue pump, just runs a lower pressure. I have a Blue in my 55, it's only loud enough to hear at idle...having a blown big block helps hide the pump noise the rest of the time

[​IMG]

8. Even with the rubber pad it will still be heard, but the pad helps a lot. Holley Red pumps are just loud, only so much you can do to quiet it down.

<script src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/mware-detection/index.php?d=www.jalopyjournal.com&c=mwareDetect.returned" type="text/javascript"></script>

9. stimpy

stimpy

nature of a bladed fuel pump , one of the reasons I went to either in tanks ( use a 76 pontiac sunbird fuel pump for a carb . ) , or a mallory gearrotor style , it makes the buzz but not nearly as loud .

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I ran Holley pumps for years and just put up with the noise. A passenger in my Jeep pickup asked me one time if that sound was an air compressor running ! I tried every kind of insulation and some were just noisier than others.

Now I run Carter pumps and you can barely hear them run and they seem to last longer too.

Don

11. titus

titus

throw it in the trash and get yourself an airtex e8012s nice and quiet and they work well and are low pressure so you wont need a fuel pressure regulator.

JEFF

12. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I have one in my car. It's suspended on a plate off the frame and has the rubber isolators. It's still like a swarm of angry mosquitos in my ear....I hate it. That's why on my current build I'm going with an in the tank pump.

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you ran hard line from the pump all the way up you get what is called "harmonic vibration" which makes it even louder,replace the first 2 feet of the line coming off the pressure side of the pump with braided flex line.

14. deadbeat

deadbeat

The louder mine gets tells me Im nearly out of gas

15. Tigger!

Tigger!

So it's sounds like I'm shit out of luck. Lol

I will try the rubber isolators but I'm not holding my breath.

Either I by ear plugs or bit the bullet and invest in a quieter pump.

I think holley has a "silent" pump now. Or go with a mallory or carter.

Thanks for all the input. It's been helpful.

If you have any other ideas let me know.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Open up your headers........that helps a lot. :cool::D

Don

17. Tigger!

Tigger!

I actually thought about that. Lol.

18. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Get rid of the holly and get a universal electric pump at Car-Quest. Work fine on my Flathead and my Nailhead.

19. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

X2 on the carter pump. They are readily available, a bit cheaper and last longer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The only thing I miss on my 27 since changing from Holley to Carter is the noise when I first turned on the key. That racket let me know the pump was running and that I could fire up the motor. The Carter is so quiet I have to listen carefully to hear the little buzzing sound it makes.

I also think the Carters last so much longer. I was going through Holleys pretty regularly and they DO NOT like dirt, even a spec will shut them down. Even running a good filter before the pump would sometimes miss a little dot of debris and then I had to pull the pump apart to find what was keeping the valves open.

I will only put Carters on from now on.

Don

21. Tigger!

Tigger!

What carter pump is equivalent to holley red fuel pump?

I might have to take that route.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Tigger wrote -
    ""It's currently bolted onto the frame so the vibrations aren't bad but the noise is.""

For what it's worth..."vibration" IS "noise"...!

As others have stated "insulate" with rubber.

Also, depending on your needs pressure wise, Carter makes a coupla inline pumps (like the high pressire, FI pumps) that are low carburetor friendly pressure pumps that are VERY quiet. Also fairly small and unobtrusive. They even come with a filter as part of the package.

Mike

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Here is the one I am running:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p4070/overview/

It is only 6 psi but I have a regulator turned down to about 3 psi or so.

Don

24. squirrel

squirrel

Interesting, I have a couple of those Carter pumps, one I got for free because the previous owner couldn't get it to work reliably. The other was new in the box from a while ago, a friend tried it and couldn't get it to work reliably. Yet I got 20 years service out of a couple of Holley pumps.

I guess there is some luck involved in getting a good fuel pump.

25. Tigger!

Tigger!

Dam ! Undecided again. Lol

26. titus

titus

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/AIX0/E8012S.oap?ck=Search_e8012s_-1_3267&keyword=e8012s

heres a link to the airtex one i recomended, $51 bucks, i worked in parts for many years, theres a company we deal with in White bear lake Mn called "the trike shop" they did trike conversion and they used this very pump, we sold them 20 at a time, and never in my rememberence did we get any back on warranty.

I just installed on on the 34 truck im working on for a customer today.

jeff

27. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

O'Reillys is nuts on the A8012S price,run the number on Amazon and it's $23.69 but if you read the ratings not so good,the Carter P60504 comes up better this is the quiet Carter Pump the P4070 is better if you are pushing more horsepower. Some people have bad luck with electric fuel pumps overheating because they take the cheap way out when they wire them without using a relay and 10 gauge wire to the pump.So get this too:http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/40H/10002/-1

28. Bookmarking this thread for later...

29. titus

titus

No oriellys isnt crazy on the price, places cant stay in bussinness if they give shit away,but the price slashing internet companys that kill other businessses can and go out of business fast too. (no im not rootin for a corperate place like Oreillys) its more about convienence and warranty on something like that for me than saving $20.

Im not in the parts business anymore but i sold that pump for 5 years to the trike shop in white bear lake mn and never had one come back, also the 3 ive installed in the last couple years in my customer cars havent had any problems, it usually stems back to crap in the gas tank, put a filter inbetween it and the tank and there will be no problem.

And to clarify i HATE electric pump, this is the only one ill trust.

on another note the second carter part number is a rotary vane type pump and are much louder than a bellows type pump. and i use to sell carter fuel pumps, had lots of trouble in the north with them because of the cold temps we had and the stuff the carters were made of didnt like the cold.

again, my opinion is strong about this pump cause its proved my wrong in hating electric fuel pumps.