Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine dies in left turn PROBLEM FIXED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Apr 17, 2014.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Help guys before I start changing unnecessary parts.

The loaded '50 Cad. engine in my '48 Ford dies when making a left turn from a dead stop. Not sure if it is flooding or starving. Don't smell fuel. Don't remember it doing it in a right turn. The only thing I can think of that I changed lately is the electric fuel pump. Not sure if it is a Holley red or blue.

Throw out your ideas.

Thanks Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'd be inclined to think more likely an electrical connection failing rather than fuel.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Obviously not a NASCAR engine.

4. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I had a truck do the same thing except it was right turns...it was the wire going in the distributor...it had a bare spot on it and when I turned the torque of the engine and all made it go dead..it would crank back up and go right on...this was a chevy engine with distributor in the back...may check this.

5. Give the wiring harness the wiggle test.

6. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Probably not your problem, but I had to smile as I read your post. Years ago I had a TR-4 come into my shop. Engine would die on a right turn. after MANY days of troubleshooting we discovered that replacing the coil solved the problem. We very carefully cut it open and after a VERY close inspection we found one of the windings was broken. The only time it disconnected was in a right turn. Shorted against the housing. Otherwise it made contact. Ah, LUCAS memories!!

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm inclined to agree. I had that happen with my OT late model Challenger after the first time I got rear ended in it.

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys all I could think of was fuel. I'll check the wiring.

9. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

Check the automatic choke vacum passage between the airhorn and body.

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I has a similar experience to flatheadguy in an OT car. Give your harness a wiggle test while running and see if you can cause it to stall. Inspect all our wiring closely under hood and if you think it checks out, try a different coil and take 'er for a spin. Just be thorough and really get anal while you inspect your wiring.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. 41 C28

41 C28

I had a similar crazy problem and found it to be a bad coil.

12. Another vote for electrical. Mine was a terrible miss at half throttle in a right hand turn in my '59 Chevy. Tourque roll would short the coil primary to the throttle linkage rod, but only at 1/2 throttle possition the way it was routed.

13. I had that when i used a old afb carb.

14. I am amazed no one has said.."Just don't turn left":D

I also experienced this on a old Dodge A-100 Van,turned out to be a wire that was loose on the coil. HRP

15. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

I had a 73 charger, when you made a turn left or right it died out turned out to be the fuel pump not working to good and the extra force of the turn made it stop working so it sounds like elc but don't put the pump out of mind just yet you did say it started after you put a new elc pump on ? Have you checked the wireing at the pump make shure it has a good connection every time you turn it could be turning off the pump long enough to kill the car , keep us posted

16. Slimmey

Slimmey

If you happen to have a WCFB carb, this may be your problem. My '58 vette did the drying on any hard left turns, this fixed it.

Attached Files:

17. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

This place is amazing....I wouldnt have thought it could be electrical. Sounds simple and reasonable enough. Of course, Slimmey has a good point too! At least you have a couple of thing to look at.

18. txturbo

txturbo

There was a service bulletin on 50s caddys about this issue. I believe the factory fix was to lower the float level. You didn't say if it was the stock carb. It was something about the fuel in the bowl being a little to high and causing a quick over rich condition on left turns.

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

News flash--- a carb has float bowls that hold enough fuel to make the turn with the fuel pump off, And unless you are "drifting" there is not going to be any fuel slosh
    Its an electrical issue

20. put a holley on it and never did it again. I was told it was the float pivot design in the afb

21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks again guys I have a lot to check now. You for sure have paid for my alliance membership.

22. sadsack

sadsack

ignition wire grounding out.
    sadsack

23. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

My mom's old Mercury did this. Turned out the ignition switch was worn out inside. Just the weight of the keys on her keychain hanging there, when turning left, would stall the car.

I figured this out when I went & had my own key made, and ran without any keychain.

24. Tudorp

Tudorp

Maybe thats its way of telling you that it is all right? ;)

Nothing constructive to add here other than like mentioned, sounds electrical to me.

25. Well reallly the fix is learn to make 3 rights to go left...........

Boden likes this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Check your floats.

27. stimpy

stimpy

had one come to the shop this was the cause .... old worn out cylinder and lots of keys . took us several times to figure it out .

28. txturbo

txturbo

Then why was there a factory service bulletin to lower the float level genius? It had to do with the fuel getting into a passage some place and causing a short rich condition. It was on the choke side of the carb....which is on the right....there was also another bulletin about drilling two extra holes in the top of the carb to cure a stalling problem. It would help to know what year the caddy motor is.

29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay guys this is a HOTROD engine and has a couple of mid '50s Cad. four barrel carbs. I have disconnected most of the auto choke stuff and added a manual cable. When I have a chance I am going to check all electrical connections and then get into the carbs. This is all good shit and I am grateful for all of it. Please keep it coming.

Gary

30. fordor41

fordor41

If power steering, try sitting with engine running, turn the wheels in both directions to the stops. See if it quits then.