Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Red Rim History?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CruisinJRod, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Ya the goal for my 52 Buick is to keep it as original as possible.:cool:

2. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Howzabout those rebels with the lime green or yellow wheels?
    That oughta stir the pot a little.

3. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I can remember cutting a radius in a large piece of cardboard so that I could protect my wide whites from overspray as I touched up my red rims! At this point I have still have them on my 38. I didn't do it but I have left it while I fix other "stuff" and it's traditional...

Attached Files:

4. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

my very worn original 41 cad has red wheels. as far as i can tell it is stock. body is silver top with charcoal below the window line.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In the fifties if you had no dough it was something you could do to dress up your car a bit. Paint the wheels red, first thing.

This was before mag wheels and chrome wheels were invented.

Model T1 likes this.
  6. RED RIMS RED RIMS (from the shinning ) could not resist. Pete.

7. 48bill

48bill

Don't know when it started but I recall that was common on most kid's cars in the 50's in high school.

In 1954 my barber bought a new Ford two door coupe. Two tone green, light on the botom and dark on the top. Cheapest style of Ford but he had white walls and the full disc hub caps on the front, skirts in the rear. With a brush he painted the area of the rim that showed in red. When one of the caps fell off or was a victim of midnight auto you could see the crude job of painting the red. Also kind of strange with the green car.

Model T1 likes this.
  8. ...I always liked em...let's see some more...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Mr49:
    You are 100% correct.
    Didn't you mean to say "uncool" as rewritten above?
    Red rims were popular in the 50's and 60's for sure.
    When all is done and said,
    There is nothing wrong with red.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Model T1 likes this.
  10. :cool:

11. In sales brochures from the late -40ies and -50ies, you often see the red line outside the hubcap, so it was common!
    For me personally, i like it most on black or white cars, it can be too many colors otherwise, but of course there are exceptions to that rule too :)

12. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Here's my red rims.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

13. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

'49 Cadillacs had red rims standard on most color cars and optional most others.

I had a '33 Chevy 3 window and '31 Ford coupe that both had red wire wheels in the early '60's.

Currently have a couple of cars that are black with red wheels. Recently had a self-appointed car critic tell me he wasn't too thrilled with the red wheels and small hubcaps on my '49 Cad. Everyone has an opinion, but this is what could have been on the car new.

Attached Files:

14. sasquatch12

sasquatch12

If i may comment on this,, Back in the middle fifties red rims seemed to become a fad again with the young guys. I was too young then to own a car yet, but in my town/area there was a 1950's car club called the "Red Rim Ramblers".

15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I was always under the impression the steel thing was a rim... The a rim and tire together was a wheel or a mag or alloy rim was a wheel

16. You are under the wrong impression.
    The rim is the part that the center section is welded to. The two components make up a wheel. Early cars had demountable rims. The rim was removable from the spoke and felloe assembly. When bolted together, you had a wheel. Some cars and bikes have wire wheels, comprised of a hub or wheel center, wire spokes and a rim which, as usual, make up a wheel.

Model T1 and Hnstray like this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

""Mr49:
    You are 100% correct.
    Didn't you mean to say "uncool" as rewritten above?
    Red rims were popular in the 50's and 60's for sure.""

I think you misread it. the posers think they (the posers themselves) are cool because they think red wheels are uncool.

18. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here's my red rims behind hub caps
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404253188.685718.jpg

Posted from Austinrod

Model T1 likes this.
  19. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

My 41 buick

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

20. whitewalls2.jpg This will be my roadster as soon as I can afford the wide whites. Photo shopped for now.

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Red wheels on a black car is always the right choice,,it's like a tuxedo,,always a classic. HRP

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I heard the fad got started right after the invention of red paint. Or was it lipstick? Regardless, looks hot on the right subject! Gary

Model T1 likes this.
  23. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

I dont know when it started, but I had red rims on a black 48 Mercury coupe in the mid 60s. I dont think I was the first. Just funin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.