Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Put it off long enough, Got Painted today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Apr 11, 2014.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I had the car pretty straight, but it still took me 2 weeks to get it straight enough for black. I'm pretty jacked that it came out pretty straight.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Looking good. Stu

3. That came out amazing.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Thanks, I reluctantly tried a new paint this time with the advise from a friend. Sherwin Williams acrylic enamel. I bought a gallon with activator for under $150. It laid real nice, covered real well, and cured just as fast as the PPG I have used in the past at double the cost. The orange peel is very minimal and should cut real nice for buffing. I did put 6 coats on it.

5. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Ooooh.....shineee paint. Me likey! Lol

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very nice---great job

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

So shineeee, I have plans to buy a new dust mop tomorrow.;)

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I can almost smell it. I can see a little peel but yeah it looks pretty good.
    I think some gold pinstriping around the edges would look good as it for some reason reminds me of a hotwheel and/or model car paddy wagon I had as a kid.
    [​IMG]

9. I used Sherwin Williams ( Martin Seynour ) on my roadster. Crossfire Urethane base/clear, half the price of PPG. They make good paint, although I didn't have the stones to go black. A little 1000 grit wet then 1500 and a buffer and you'll really have a nice glass finish. Good job.:cool:

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That's a thought. I was actually planning on putting a tomato red pinstripe flame job on it. Something very subtle to break it up a little.

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Got it together enough to take it for a spin. Have TONS of cleaning left to do.
    [​IMG]

12. Love the Black!

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Thanks, I'm glad to have it "finished" after driving it for 3 years.

14. Hot Rodders definition of finished is only about 37 things left to do but it's a driver. :D:D

15. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Only 2 weeks? Hell, it takes me 2 weeks to stick a car in primer. Nice job

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

The hardest part was making the commitment to tear a driver back down.:(

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

OK, I'm officially digging the black a lot. Wish I had the energy left to clean it today, but I'm probably better off staying away from the paint anyway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ol' Henry would be proud. Car looks really good.

19. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Really came out great. My 46 Chevy needs some touch up in a few places but I have almost decided to do a complete repaint in the same Silver Aqua paint. In about a month it will be in the shop getting all the window rubber & seals replaced so that will be a good time to go ahead & do a paint job while all the glass is out.
    Hope mine comes out as nice as yours did.
    Jimmie

20. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Looks great.ol black betty.

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Henry who? It's a Willy's, lol.:D

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Got the 5" fronts painted tonight, waiting by the mailbox for front tires.
    [​IMG]

23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Dayam.Get out the Foster Grants.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Hey its yours, do as you please but I think if your gonna run painted steelies on that car,which is a cool idea by the way, they would look better black like the car is with caps something like this for a more classy high end look you might say,theres more pics of cars with black wheels and caps etc.floatin around here if you wanna look.
    ....only thing is if you were gonna go that direction I probably wouldnt get wild with pinstriping as I suggested earlier, that would be a diffrent type car with diffrent type wheels etc. [​IMG]

Not to insult at all in any way but the silver painted wheels just looks like a cheap wanna be mag wheel instead of embracing the cool steel wheel it is with black or maybe even bronze or somthing, not red or cream on that car.
    But like I said thats just my kind of opinionative, opinion this morning carry on as you please.

25. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I don't like black wheels, maybe because of the latest fad of all these kids blacking out everything I guess. I would say that your wheels would look cool with a slim trim ring at the bead. I think I might experiment with a pinstripe or something though. I agree with the wanna-be mag as I would rather have a set of halibrands on the car of course.
    Now you got me thinking about trim rings, Dammit, lol.:) but I know that wouldn't work out with the cheater slicks.

26. Nice job, the car looks great. Has a evil look in the black!

27. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I also enjoy how helpful these tire sales websites are. First, I had to make up a vehicle for the order form to be processed because their calendar didn't go back to 1923, lol.
    Then I get this vital information in my confirmation E-mail.
    *** Since you have purchased fewer than four tires (or wheels), you must mount the new tires on the rear of your vehicle for best safety and handling. ***
    That would look awesome with 165/80/15's on the back and 10"x29" cheater slicks on the front.:rolleyes:

28. Roger53

Roger53

Very nice I'm thinking the wheel will go great .It will break the black great. By the way I've gone from DuPont to S/W I real like it. Again car looks great. Roger

29. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I'm still amazed how low cost the SW is compared to the bottom of the barrel PPG I was using, and same characteristics at least as far as I can tell. I'll know when I cut and buff it.