Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hot Rod Roadster in storage for 40 years!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A.D.D., Apr 15, 2014.

1. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

I have posted about my Hot Rod before. It's not everyone's cup of "T".

" Around 1963/1964 he had a Model A Coupe with a pretty hot Smallblock. It was a 1956 265 punched out with a Duntov cam, solid lifters, 3 deuces, headers, reworked heads and a dual point distributor. This was linked to a '39 top loader tranny. The wheels were Buick hoops reversed with early Ford centers. The thing is, this guy decided he really wanted a Roadster. In 1964 Car Craft had an article "How to Build a Hot Rod". The guy looked around for a Model A Roadster body, '32 Roadster or even a "T". But in Seattle in '64 I guess it wasn't so easy to find between the rain and restorer's (so the guy says). He decided to follow the article and build a "T" Roadster. This part is pretty cool. So he calls a few Hot Rod buddies and some racer friends and puts out the word. Using the plans in the article, some buddies and lots of beer they weld together a pretty damn nice chassis. Once it's a roller he swaps the drivetrain out of the Model A (his daily driver) and sources a 4" dropped axle. It seems that this would have been around late 1965 sometime. He bought a fiberglass body from Kellison and finished all the plumbing, steering, etc and got her running. Between '66 and '67 the car went through a few changes and by '68 or so the car was running and driving and in various stages of completion. Also, in late '67 he bought a Black on Black '68 Mustang Fastback. The Mustang was a lucky break for me as you'll find out.....

According to his memory and the photos I got...it looks like the car went through a few different tire and wheel combos between '66 and 1970. Starting with the reversed Buick steelies, Torque Thrust rears with slicks and spindle mounted spokes with Ansen's on the back. The spokes are 19" and the story goes that a friend of a friend got 'em from Jerry Ruth in the Early to mid 60's. They are not Harley, but appear to be British car maybe? Also he got a Halibrand quick change from one of his Sprint cars and swapped the tri power for dual quads. Another Drag Racer buddy sourced some big Buick rear brakes with cool drilled backing plates.

The last pics from 1970/1971 are Black with black button tufted interior, dual quads, a Halibrand 201 Quick Change and the 16" Ansen mags on the back with Goodyear Speedways and spindle mounted Spokes on the front. Around '72/'73 the guy started going through a divorce I think and stopped tagging the plates in '74. Shortly after that the car came apart. The body was mounted on a base and crated up. The frame stripped and stored in the rafters, the suspension came apart, engine was on a stand for display and everything else squirreled away. The miraculous thing.....is that it ALL stayed together for nearly 40 years!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy moved a couple times and was involved in Sprint car, Indy car and drag racing".

Well......... It's been a year and I can't find the time to blow the car apart and do a "Preservation" type resto. My business is going crazy and I have to focus on that.

So... I threw her on the big auction site in the sky. We'll see what happens.... I really hope it doesn't sell... but as any guy with a roadster knows...it HAS to be in the garage at ALL TIMES. Can't even leave it out over night. That makes it tough to have something that isn't running taking up a stall. I have a couple of "runners"...which makes it all that much worse. Hell, I even considered picking up and enclosed trailer to add another "stall" to rotate cars around.

Damn... I was really hoping to get this car together and have a little fun! It is a REALLY nice looking "T". Especially the pic from around '67/'68 with the little kid standing on the seat.

I had to price it above the reach of F-wads who will snatch it, blow it apart, paint it candy blue and fill it full of Dakota gauges, Lokar, Billet Specialties and 350/350'ness....(that enough profanity for you)?

Just venting.............Gotta get it out of my system........... before I change my mind and cancel the auction.

Especially since I have had so many of you guys comment on the car and encourage me.

Attached Files:

2. abone1930

abone1930

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think you will be kicking your butt someday and talking about the car you "wish you had never sold." How often does one with this history come around ? We've all made hasty decisions that we later regretted.

70's style buckets are back in style and are VERY cool. Push the cancel sale button. :)

Don

4. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

I agree... And I outta.

But, I'll leave it up to fate. I seriously doubt it'll sell. That will be the "glue" I need to keep it and move forward with a preservation type restoration.

I definitely don't NEED to sell it. But I also don't NEED it taking up valuable garage space either.

We just moved and it was a really good move..... In the right direction. One of those "life will never be the same as it was before" moves. Guess that is what has prompted me to sell off about 4 cars now and focus on what it is I really want!

Anyways... Enough windbaggin....

Just thought I would lean on you guys for "Moral support".....(fat lotta good that did--LOL).

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Fogger

Fogger

I've always found it much easier to buy a project car than sell one I built. The one I really regret selling was my '55 Gasser that I sold after the Winter Nationals in '67. I tried to find it years later and have heard that it was restored back to stock and wouldn't recognize it. But we all live with our decisions and shouldn't look back. Good luck and make the right choice with your car!

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I understand about the "fate" thing. About 15 years ago I was in a relationship with a new GF and wasn't using my 27 at all, we were doing vacations and other romantic stuff and the car was just sitting, so I took it to Turkey Run and put a For Sale Sign on it. A guy came along and said he wanted it and to meet him at BelAir Plaza that night to wrap up the deal. We showed up but he didn't and when I called him he said he was having the trouble getting the money together.........so I decided that fate was telling me something and I drove it home, stored it, and a few years later redid the whole car.

So now the GF is gone and I am SO happy I didn't lose something I really cared about. It will go to my Sons when I pass on. I think that was really what was supposed to happen to it anyway and fate interviened. :D:D

Don

7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

WOW!! It's a VERY COOL Hot Rod! I'm not a big bucket guy but that car talks to ya! Once I seen the Lil Feller in the seat I was sold! Keep it and work around the storage deal! You'll be glad ya did!

8. redo32

redo32

I remember going to the Portland Roadster Show in the 60's & 70's and drooling over many T buckets. That's classic West Coast styling and there were lots in the PNW.

If the little boy in the pictures doesn't want his Dad's roadster back I would keep it. Roll the engine in the corner & hang the rest in the rafters again..........you won't be sorry when a space opens up.

9. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Thanks.

The little boy in the picture got the Black on Black '68 Mustang fastback a while back.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd clean it up and see if it grew on me.

11. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Dans hot rod is right, Your gona be sorry you sold it. Too neat of a story

12. Just put that Porch at the curb. :D

13. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Just do what the guy before you did! Take it all back apart and put it in the rafters! I wouldn't sell it, too cool of a story and history.

14. hoodprop

hoodprop

That is a sweet bucket. Going to look at one this weekend that is in pieces. I would keep it.

15. verde742

verde742

I moved from SW Washington with my 1932 Ford Hi-Boy 20 years ago, hung around, saw very few Hot Rods, sniffed here and there, nuthin', sold it. Now suddenly EVERYBODY is moving here bringing there HOT RODS, retiring, and playing every night and day. The NW is just full of Car activities, and YOU will be sorry, Store that SOB, You will not be sorry you kept it, Its one of the best I have seen, and it will fit in the Area. KEEP IT !!!!

O, I have projects, but here I sit at this black box rubbing my arm where they put in the 24th session of Chemo 4 hours ago, and I COULD be driving my Roadster,a finished car, in 70 degree evening weather, but it went to New Jersey..

16. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Awesome machine -- keep it.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to agree with the don't sell it gang.
    I can pretty much guarantee you that if you do it will haunt you with regrets later on.
    It should be a keeper. :)

18. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

That is a sweet bucket. Good stance , good wheel choice for a bucket.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - forgotten jewels are out there, some being saved like the one I saw recently

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that fender laying on the bed ? Either you wear the Levi's in your house, or you are in for an ass-kickin' from Hell. Good luck with the rebuild.

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't sell it. The "suggestors" are correct. So many of us have made that fateful decision even when we didn't need the money, and we live with regret from that point on. DON'T DO IT ! ! ! !

22. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Verde742: sounds like you are fighting the good fight! Hope all goes well.

Jalopy Joker: that is an amazing ROD! Is there a thread?

I doubt it will sell, just flirting with disaster (I'll only be in trouble if she puts out)!

Thanks for all the comments! There is ALWAYS another car. I also am NOT a huge T ****** fan.... But this car spoke to me. So, hopefully it all comes together. At the very least, it'll get done one way or another.... By me or someone else.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Enjoy Pics

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. abone1930

abone1930

dude you made a score :D

25. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

KEEP FIGHTIN VERDE!! When the health gets better go get ya a running driving Hot Rod and drive the SNOT out of it! We will wait for ya!

26. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Well that decides it! Anyone willing to donate a "fair deal" on 2 16" Magnesium 5 spoke torque thrust wheels... Minimum 10" wide, max 12.5 " wide?

Thanks for the support!

27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Congratulations you won't be sorry you kept that COOL HOT ROD! Can't wait to see the results!

28. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Eh,

I WILL sell the car SOMETIME. I just made up my mind to keep it and put it back on the road, when it DIDN'T sell online. Needed that closure I guess. One time shot.

I have 4 old cars right now... and rarely keep ANYTHING very long. CAR A.D.D!!!!!!!!!!!

So... getting ready to dial for dollars. I will need to blow the car apart here shortly, make a list....check it twice, and order gaskets, seals, wheel cylinder kits, QC gears, etc, etc.

NEED 2 magnesium Torque Thrust....early FORD 16". Gonna wrap them in new/ vintage style M&H slicks.

Gotta finish putting the racedeck down in my clusterf*** of a garage (just moved in February, garage still full of boxes)... and MAKE TIME. Hell, maybe I'll SAWZALL a hole in the wall through to the family room....so the wife doesn't bitch that she NEVER SEES ME!!!!!!!!!!

29. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Putting that hole in the wall may just give you enough room to work on the bucket! Plus you could install a big glass window and your better half can watch you work and still watch TV or whatever!

30. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I was thinking about this roadster this morning, wondering if it sold.

Glad you were "forced" to keep it haha. Such a bitchin car, stuck right in between the 50's styling but before the 60's got ugly.