Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Kustomrama Survivor Truck - 1955 Ford by Barris & Dick Richardson

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kvipt, Apr 3, 2014.

1. missysdad1

missysdad1

Okay. Here's the really big question: Now that you've verified your pickup as a genuine piece of American hot rod history, do you restore it to it's former glory...or do you preserve it in it's original condition as it was found, patena and all?

Geeze, Olav. I'm glad it's you has to make that decision and not me.

2. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Amazing!! I love it!!

3. I'm gonna drive it with this patina this upcomming season, then repaint it gold as It was with the striping. The decision was easy, just asked George what he would do. The dash and upholstery will still be the same, just cleaned.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397327656.642937.jpg

This is a cool place to ship all the parts to!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Model T1 likes this.
  4. 296ardun

296ardun

This is such a great story! Thanks for sharing it, and for posting all these detailed photos!

5. I might take a roadtrip with the wife next year. Just dont know yet if it will be Route 66 as she said from the begining

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek:Hi Olav.Congrats on an OUTSTANDING find.Not only the truck,but the original owner who is being gracious enough to share his memories and photos.
    One of the best,if not THE best thread on the H.A.M.B.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude!! How awesome is that?? I don't even know what to say. SO RAD.

8. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Best thread I've ever read on here, awesome.

9. This is such a 'feel good' story. I am glad that this truck fell into the hands of someone who knows what they have and know the significance of finding it. As one poster stated regarding the Von Dutch/Jeffries tailgate, consult with an art preservationist to slow down or halt the deterioration of the tailgate art. Good luck and I hope we see it restored to it's previous glory.

10. ^^^^ Exactly ^^^^

11. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Awesome stories. Always nice to see stories from old timers and their photos. Looks like you made a good friend and he's being nice enough to share which is incredible.

12. I agree this is one of the best threads I have seen on the hamb. Thanks!

13. Ramblux

Ramblux

Olav, do you have any screencaps of the original craigslist ad? I'm curious as to how George advertised it!

14. haychrishay

haychrishay

This thread continues to get better !

15. Yes I did take a screenshot of it! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397422819.874128.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397423336.959667.jpg
    I actually hung out with him today at the Pomona Swap Meet. He told me about when Von Dutch striped the truck. It took 3 weeks for Dutch to finish it. Apparently, Von Dutch thought he was of German descendant, however, his mom had just braked the news for him that he was of English origin. Dutch got very upset, and drank away his sorrows with wine. George told he had a sort of mobile wooden table, which he kept his paint gear and wine on. He would do a few stripes, then take a lurk off the bottle. Then the lines would come out wavy, and he wiped them away, and closed the shop for the day. Later on, he ended up in jail for some reason, and George had to wait until he got out.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Austinrod, prefect20 and Model T1 like this.
  16. autobilly

autobilly

That tail gate really is something else!

17. Torchie

Torchie

Von Dutch stories are to hot rodders like Buddy Rich stories are to musicians. Priceless.....
    Bet you two had a great hang.
    Torchie.

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I just now had the chance to read this thread all the way through and it makes me proud of our hobby.

Thank you for sharing, Kvipt. You're the man.

19. the_guy

the_guy

Nice Olav! I'll try to stop by the shop and check it out soon!

20. Gerg

Gerg

I don't think I miss reading to many great threads on the HAMB but this one I missed. WOW what a find!

21. sawzall

sawzall

I totally missed this thread until now.. all I can say is WOW.. hope to see more photos from the collection soon!

22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

If I known you were there yeaterday I would of stopped by & said hello!

23. Take in every word, his generation won't be around forever. I think the tailgate was worth the purchase price alone. The truck, photos and stories add that much more to the package deal. Great thread for sure.

24. Sure do, his stories are the best!
    Will soon publish another archive photo! If I can get wi-fi on my lap top that is.. Today I did the brakes, and painted the frame and underside of the body with POR 15.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397544610.789209.jpg

Still waiting for the epoxy and primer from Arizona..

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397544666.885163.jpg

And I picked this little baby up today, with matching the color on the truck. I want my own set of wheels to get around town with until the truck is done.

25. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

This thread... just keeps getting better. Nice looking little bike btw!

26. damn. this whole thread just went through the roof!!! its amazing when anyone finds such a rare piece of kustom history as this. you are truly the kustom indiana jones!

27. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397604689.650275.jpg Now should I paint this area behind the fender black or gold??

28. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Can you throw up color photos (if available) of the truck in both versions in the same post? I was wondering if both could be combined into one. But maybe that is tinkering with it too much. Did you solicit the original builder's opinion?

29. missysdad1

missysdad1

I vote for black. I find that bits of body color peeking out from under the car, in the grille opening, etc. take away from the overall shape of the vehicle...and also make it look as if the owner didn't take time to detail it properly. Just my opinion.

30. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

This thread rules on so many levels. Been following your progress on instagram, keep up the good work!