Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Post up some pics when you can. What size rear wheel are you planning for?

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

thats how mine is set up. i have 15"x12"s on there now, but probably could fit 15"x14"s if the right tire could be had. mickey thompson's get way to tall when they get that wide. i have dunlop's 295-50-15 on it. you will have to "clad" the unibodys frame with some thicker metal where you install the new leafs, perchs, shackle mounts. i used 1/4". also, i run the stock tank, but because of the gas filler tube one leaf is about one inch shorter to clear it. then you'll cut the wheel house and add 3-1/2" of flat metal to get your space for your fat tires.

3. Hogride

Hogride

Thats how I Did mine move front over and 1 inch tube at rear through frame at bottem side tank filler wont work with stock leaf if you use a shorter leaf on that side as twichy said would work . my rear end is 53 1/2 and have had bfg 315/50s 13 wide 27 tall on 15 x 10 3 3/4 back space . I did a 6 inch frame notch also as I Had it very low at one time . Good luck they sure look cool with big tire under them ! But if it was up to do agine that black 64 Freak Show Truck is the cats ass ! with cut fenders and 15x 8s and 10x32 tire a lot less work if you lift up front you will have to make a z'ed 4 inch of drop steering link . for 4 inch lift link from steer arm to spindle to fix the bump steer. Sorry for Rambling on

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

I have a set of vintage ET 5-spokes, so I'll put the widest tire I can fit on those. I'll have plenty of room for wider rims, but I'll leave that for the next owner.

Here's a pic of the slider. I haven't cleaned up the welds yet nor have I finished the floor and rust repairs.

[​IMG]

5. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

WOW Joe! All that work and you're considering selling it? Looks great so far. I've never used the sliders that way. Are those the same ones used between the axle and the spring?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

Between the axle and the spring is a strip of plastic. I added leaf sliders between each leaf to reduce friction and squeak. But the slider I was refering to is the thing in back that replaced the shackle. They're used mainly in dirt track cars and some high-powered drag cars. I bought them to resolve a shackle problem... that turned out to be something else, but since I already had them and couldn't return them, I decided to use them.

FWIW, I didn't say I was considering selling it, but that may happen a long time from now. I resolved some problems by widening the wheel wells and moving the spings to the frame. That also means that someone, someday could stuff some big, fat wheels in there, but that person probably won't be me. Those things are pricey!

7. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

Gotcha, a ways down the road...lol!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Fords-R-Us

Fords-R-Us
    from NE Iowa

How do you set the slider to work? It looks like when the slider reaches the end of the slot, it will make it so the leaf won't be able to compress, making it almost like a rigid frame.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

It's hard to tell in the pic, but at rest, the slider sits in the middle. It slides back and forth like a shackle pitches forward and backward depending on the load/demands put on it.

10. dirttoo

dirttoo

I had those sliders on my IMCA dirt modified race car. Worked great. I'm sure my car had alot more suspension travel than a street car so I think you'll be fine.

11. fairlaneranch

fairlaneranch

What about with a load?
    <mytubeelement data="{&quot;bundle&quot;:{&quot;label_delimitor&quot;:&quot;:&quot;,&quot;percentage&quot;:&quot;%&quot;,&quot;smart_buffer&quot;:&quot;Smart Buffer&quot;,&quot;start_playing_when_buffered&quot;:&quot;Start playing when buffered&quot;,&quot;sound&quot;:&quot;Sound&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification&quot;:&quot;Desktop Notification&quot;,&quot;continuation_on_next_line&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;loop&quot;:&quot;Loop&quot;,&quot;only_notify&quot;:&quot;Only Notify&quot;,&quot;estimated_time&quot;:&quot;Estimated Time&quot;,&quot;global_preferences&quot;:&quot;Global Preferences&quot;,&quot;no_notification_supported_on_your_browser&quot;:&quot;No notification style supported on your browser version&quot;,&quot;video_buffered&quot;:&quot;Video Buffered&quot;,&quot;buffered&quot;:&quot;Buffered&quot;,&quot;hyphen&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;buffered_message&quot;:&quot;The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.&quot;,&quot;not_supported&quot;:&quot;Not Supported&quot;,&quot;on&quot;:&quot;On&quot;,&quot;off&quot;:&quot;Off&quot;,&quot;click_to_enable_for_this_site&quot;:&quot;Click to enable for this site&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification_denied&quot;:&quot;You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site&quot;,&quot;notification_status_delimitor&quot;:&quot;;&quot;,&quot;error&quot;:&quot;Error&quot;,&quot;adblock_interferance_message&quot;:&quot;Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.&quot;,&quot;calculating&quot;:&quot;Calculating&quot;,&quot;waiting&quot;:&quot;Waiting&quot;,&quot;will_start_buffering_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start buffering when initialized&quot;,&quot;will_start_playing_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start playing when initialized&quot;,&quot;completed&quot;:&quot;Completed&quot;,&quot;buffering_stalled&quot;:&quot;Buffering is stalled. Will stop.&quot;,&quot;stopped&quot;:&quot;Stopped&quot;,&quot;hr&quot;:&quot;Hr&quot;,&quot;min&quot;:&quot;Min&quot;,&quot;sec&quot;:&quot;Sec&quot;,&quot;any_moment&quot;:&quot;Any Moment&quot;,&quot;popup_donate_to&quot;:&quot;Donate to&quot;,&quot;extension_id&quot;:null},&quot;prefs&quot;:{&quot;desktopNotification&quot;:true,&quot;soundNotification&quot;:true,&quot;logLevel&quot;:0,&quot;enable&quot;:true,&quot;loop&quot;:true,&quot;hidePopup&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlay&quot;:true,&quot;autoBuffer&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlayOnBuffer&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlayOnBufferPercentage&quot;:42,&quot;autoPlayOnSmartBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;quality&quot;:&quot;default&quot;,&quot;fshd&quot;:false,&quot;onlyNotification&quot;:false,&quot;enableFullScreen&quot;:true,&quot;saveBandwidth&quot;:false,&quot;hideAnnotations&quot;:false,&quot;turnOffPagedBuffering&quot;:false}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{&quot;loadBundle&quot;:true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

12. Doug Hawkins

Doug Hawkins

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396925205.764910.jpg

Here's a pic of mine. Lowered, 300 c.i. six cyl., C4 factory automatic, heavy duty aftermarket sway bars, daily driver. Will be for sale soon.

13. Doug Hawkins

Doug Hawkins

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396925841.099518.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396925863.719365.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396925879.994926.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396925899.487899.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396925917.687642.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396925939.305567.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396925964.468489.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396925987.971081.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396926005.140271.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396926021.150377.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396926037.267552.jpg

Here's some pics from 2013 Econoline meet in Portland. Always a good turnout.

droppedstepside likes this.
  14. Doug Hawkins

Doug Hawkins

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396927363.504604.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396927371.259824.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396927379.208080.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396927387.353728.jpg

Here's a few pics that appeared in Streetpeeps.com in the fall of 2011.

15. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

Doug, How do you have it lowered?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. jtay78

jtay78

How low can you go before the clearance problems start????... without cutting the floor.

17. I have read most of the pages in this thread. Amazing rides! Always been a fan of these. I have owned many VW Busses (campers, single and double door panels). I loves these!

So count me in. I have been working getting this van for 6 yrs... I finally picked up the 1964 Panel... and the rest 1965 5 window with a cherry gate, and a 1965 Panel project over the weekend from 41Dave.

My 64 is really clean and a retired Laundry/Cleaner van. Has white over the original emblems. Im going to try to color sand the white off and get the 'original' color back. It will be a chore but worth a try. Anyone had any experience on trying to save old patina?

Im excited to dive into the 64. Its super clean with a few minor dents along the bottom. However though, It has been sitting a long time in the desert. I tried to turn it over this weekend but its stuck. :( The motor turned the fan 1 revolution then it stopped! :( The radiator hoses were rotted. I pulled the plugs (all they had on them was black carbon) and put some PB last in the cylinders to sit overnight. I might be in the market for a 170 or 200 to swap out the engine. Im anxious to get it running!

I plan on lowering the 1964 and Gassing out the 65 Truck. I picked up a 302 with a C6 trans to stab into the truck. The truck had a 240 engine with a 9" The 240 had no head and the cylinders were rotted. I am looking for an engine mount since the one under the truck was taken out for some other project from previous owner.

If anyone has 170 or 200 they pulled for a V8 swap in California...that runs good, I am starting to be on the lookout for one. Is it even worth rebuilding the engine? A master kit is like $390 on Ebay.

Im looking for a few parts: Pop-out windows for rear doors, HD engine mount, Headlight grills

Lets see how this plays out, I'm excited. BTW: This is my 6000 post! WooHoo!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    droppedstepside likes this.
  18. Hellfish

Hellfish

Nice finds!

Save the 240 trans. It will work great for someone wanting to drop in a v8 but keep a manual trans. They're not worth much, but they're THE trans you want for a swap.

I would think that you could find a good running 170 or 200 for the cost of that rebuild kit. I know a guy in Chicago selling a freshly rebuilt one for $400, I think.

19. Thanks for the heads up Hellfish. I would much rather put a manual trans in the Truck if I could. You know the old saying..."it aint a hot rod if it don't got 3 pedals" :) In fact...that is the way I'm going to go.

Let me know on the engine, i would be very interested. Im starting my search hear as well...Im hoping this motor breaks loose... but I'm not counting on it. :(

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

I think he sold it, and he was asking $2500. $400 was for a Chevy trans. Big difference!

21. bummer! :( Thanks for checking.

Anyone looking for an aftermarket spare tire holder that mounts to rear door - See picture above. I removed it and its available for trade.

22. bgaro

bgaro

speakin' of looking for stuff, i need a pair of mirrors, i like the ones like doug has. i put a wanted ad in the classified too

Attached Files:

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

Those mirrors are fairly rare. Well, the mirrors are common, but the arms/mounts are very rare.

24. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Photographed memories in the old '67. Memories that were not photographed were when the van was full of all my friends, several cases of beer and smoke wafting out the window. Thank goodness for vinyl seats and floors, EZ to clean or hose out.

Ocean side in St. Augustine Beach, FL
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Lakeside in North Georgia
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Seaside in New Brunswick, Canada
    [​IMG][/IMG]

How the heck do I do smaller pics????

25. What an awesome shot from back in the day... :)

26. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

U probably will have better luck wiping the paint down with lacquer thinner than sanding it ( newer the paint better it will turn out)

27. I found the culprit on the engine. After ripping it all apart literally with the exception for the crank, rods and pistons... Cylinder 4 must have filled up with water or maybe a possible head gasket failure at some time. The piston was 'sealed' in the cylinder. You can see my Marvel/ATF mix that never drained to the oil pan. I cleaned it out and found a rusty like paste/glue stuck to the cylinder walls. I turned the crank and tapped the piston down with a hammer and piece of wood to see what was really going on. I cleaned out the cylinder with a wire wheel on my drill, ran a cylinder hone in it and wiped it down. there are a few small pitted spots on the cyl. wall, but for the time being until my 'good' motor shows, this will work. Im glad I found the issue, but bummed I had to tear this thing down just to find the problem. Time to put it all back together!

Attached Files:

28. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

29. rob_h

rob_h

Is this confirmed? I've not been able to find details anywhere else. I recently came into an Econoline pickup after my father passed a few months ago and I'm getting it restored.