Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Coolvairs Lets See Them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dons t, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Choptop

Choptop

as seen at Billetproof CA

[​IMG]

droppedstepside likes this.
  2. The story that always get me is the guy who knew a guy who had a friend who's Corvair engine fell out while he was going down the road. Moron's

3. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

Here's the world's fastest Corvair powered Corvair..from CorvairCorsa.com

Tom Keosababian of Oregon owns this Bonneville class record holder. In 1974, the Clean Air Corvair, with its twin turbocharged, water injected, Corvair engine running on propane through a 3.08:1 final drive ratio, averaged 173.1 miles per hour in two consecutive runs. It did it without going airborne, a testament to the Corvair's stability, wouldn't you say, Ralph?

[​IMG]

According to Virtual Vairs member, Frank Burkhard, there's more to the Keosababian Clean Air Corvair than its impressive Bonneville record. He wrote to tell me, " the car is pictured in the Water Injection chapter of Hugh MacInnes' book, Turbochargers, and described as using 'two Rajay turbochargers, two propane carburetors and water injection.' An earlier version of it went only 156.9 mph on gasoline, a 4-barrel carb, one big turbocharger, and lots of water injection. This car is, of course, the ultimate example of what water injection can do for a Corvair. In 1968 Car Life magazine had an article/roadtest on the earlier car called "Living With the World's Fastest Corvair". They stated it achieved 13.39 sec. and 105.26 mph in the quarter-mile at Orange County Dragway. They also said that Keosababian 'used it daily on his commute to work.' That's what I call versatile." It also went 137 in the 1/2 mile.

4. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

5. daily_driver

daily_driver

Might as well toss mine up here. 61 Lakewood with 64 110 engine, and rear suspension. I've also got a 60 coupe that I plan to make into a street/strip/track car, but that's on the back burner. -dd

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

6. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Firengine 103, funny thing you saying that, i own a 65 Corvair and love them BUT i did see that, coming out of work one day (i live in the rust belt) the guys engine sitting on the ground:eek:, the motor mount rusted out and dropped the engine in the parking lot , i guess he was lucky, he was still in the lot and not the street

7. Why'd ya buy it? Resale?

8. Ha, a "chubby".

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

Yeah, that DID happen with Corvairs... if you didn't maintain your vehicle, just like things break on every other car when they're not maintained and inspected regularly.

10. "Maintain" is the key word. I've owned Corvairs since '63, hell, I even took my Drivers Ed class in a '60 (it didn't last, switched us to a Biscayne). Never seen a well maintained Corvair drop an engine

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  11. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

I have worked on Corvairs for 40 years in the "rust belt"(Indy) and I have never seen the 1/4" thick (and usually oily) steel rear engine mount parts rust through. The only reason the rear engine mount ever fell was due to human error! Usually because the wrong fasteners were used, or damaged, or left loose. The rubber mount itself was a fail-safe design.

12. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Sorry guys i'm just telling ya what i seen, i didn't say it was a gem, it was a rusty shit box that was neglected and if you knew the owner you would understand:rolleyes:

13. RamJet1

RamJet1

Bought my own rusty piece of joy this past weekend, and I do mean RUSTY! I knew it needed floors, but holy cow!
    Looks like a good opportunity to lean some serious bodywork and sheet metal welding skills.

Attached Files:

14. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

================================================

Do yourself a favor and make that "Yard Art" / parts car.... Although a few Vairs have sold for over $80k....and many see $25k+, the majority see less than $5k when actually sold...Check ebay's "Completed listings"

You are in South Central Texas... just go west a ways and you'll find plenty of Vairs in driveable condition...sans rust! And join one of the CORSA Chapters... they know where the deals are!

Here's a Car I paid $1500 for 3 yrs./8k miles ago....I've put about $400 into it and it's ready to go cross country...so this year I'll paint it!! ggg

And YES... it has a "little rust"..why it was cheap..

Attached Files:

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek:Some really sweet looking Corvairs.Back in the early to mid `70`s,a friend of mine was building a Corvair with a tube frame and a mid engine setup featuring a 327 with an automatic.Don`t know what ever happened with the build.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

================================================

Except for the tube frame... a very popular and common conversion.....the 6" differential will live forever behind a Powerglide! There's even a 500 ci Pro-Street Vair without a tube frame....

Go to http://v8registry.com to see lots of variations.

17. carl609

carl609
    from Seattle

Here is a pic of my daily driver, 64 Monza.

[​IMG]

18. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I always liked the style of the second gen vairs . saw one in a junk yard last fall that looked to be very solid and complete. took all I had not to try to get it and add to my stable of projects that I don't work on often enough. oh well.... if I had it I would just have to find a crown mid engine v-8 conversion and build a high revin 302 small block for it!:D

19. mechanic58

mechanic58

I have a very nice hood, decklid and both doors off a '63 Convertible if anyone needs em. All rust-free and in dry storage.

20. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

Unrestored 125k mile survivor

[​IMG]

T-roaster and kbgreen like this.
  21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just getting this one on the road......mild low 400 HP 355 with TH425 from 73 Eldorado

[​IMG]

Jibs likes this.
  22. wisdonm

wisdonm

I like that, hrm2k.

23. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

"Y /Stock" from National Trail Raceway. Gotta love the name of the car

Attached Files:

24. Chopperrides

Chopperrides

hrm2k likes this.
  25. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

Nice custom out of Denver

Attached Files:

26. Kansas Old School

Kansas Old School
    from Kansas

Im a real fan of Corvairs, especially like the looks of later model coupes. I currently own several including 3 69 Monza coupes, one is a California car with 37000 miles, not on road since 73. Rustfree body but needing total restoration. 140 hp with 4 speed. The only problem is its medium green in color. I would gladly swap for a Corsa coupe in similar condition

27. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  28. RamJet1

RamJet1

That double axle job is the most intriguing of the bunch to me. Thanks for posting those.

29. Had 3 Corvairs in my past. A 65 Monza coupe 110 4 speed, a 66 Monza 140, Auto with Factory A/C and a 1968 Monza convertible with a 140 4 speed. Loved em all but the most fun was when I put a 140HP in the back of a 1966 VW Transporter that a friend gave me after he threw a rod in it. Got the engine out of a dune buggy, turned the ring gear around in the VW tranny and ran the huge 15" dune buggy wheels and tires on the back. Had to sabre saw a little on the rear wheel wells then found some fiberglass flairs that fit. Thing had a real rake to it.

Only problem was the Transporters used gear reduction boxes at the ends of the axles so 60 mph on the freeway was about tops. And those boxes were expensive once the bearings went out.

Still have my special homemade tool for knocking the push rod tubes out of the head to change O rings.

Great little cars.

Try to make the Great Western Fan Belt Toss in Palm Springs if you want to see some Corvairs.

30. Hellfish

Hellfish

I just added a dual exhaust to my '63 with Harley Sportster mufflers. It is slightly louder than the rusty original exhaust and gives a nice glasspack rap. The camera makes it sound like a lawnmower, but it doesn't sound like that in person.

[​IMG]