Register now to get rid of these ads!

***Hot Rod Hundred comes to Phoenix, Arizona, Saturday April 12th ***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Mike

Mike

Here we see the southwestern gearhead goon in his natural habitat, a hot rod.

What a blast! As ya'll can see, my wife Mary and I had a great time. Great people, great cars, great route and great weather. What a bitchin' gig.

All the cars on the run were cool as hell, but the blue Model A coupe was definately my favorite machine there. A true '60s hot rod survivor, just plain bitchin'. With just a bit of minor sorting out, I expect we'll be seeing that machine tearing up the Arizona asphalt.

Big thanks to Doug, Jay and everyone involved in setting this gig up. I'm really looking forward to doing this again next year.

2. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Cactus, that is actually my car which is really a '36 but pretends to look like a Model 40 with the grill and bobbed rear section. Usually I get flamed when I tell people that I have a fenderless '36, but I like the way it looks.

I hope you are in town next year, I know someone will have an empty shot gun seat for a beautiful ride in the north Sonoran desert foothills.

3. Looks like a great time! Thanks for posting all the pics!

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The one thought I had as we were riding through some of my favorite back roads, (and probably boring the hell out of Hot Rod Ron with a history lesson on each inch...) was that I bet the other Hot Rod Hundred runs through out the U.S. can't possibly have the beautiful scenery that we enjoyed. I hope they do!

5. LOL, Mr Louvers. You guys do have a cool landscape out there in Phoenix, that's for sure, however, here in Southwest MO, Spring is just kicking in and the leaves are all starting to pop. We will have lots of the bright green of spring to take in this Saturday.

The route, here in SWMO, has some rather distinct characteristics. We have small town America, rural farm land area, lake region, historic route 66 section, and winding up in the home town of BenD.

I gotta admit, though, some of the photos in this thread are rather awesome!

On a side note: I'm working on putting together a photo gallery, on the Hot Rod Hundred website, to help us promote the future events. I would like to ask for permission to use photos that have been shared in this thread.

Thanks!

bret

6. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Yep, that scenery is going to be hard to live up to here in StL..... Glad you guys had good weather and a great time!!

7. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I want to thank everyone that attended the First annual Arizona Hot Rod Hundred.

We had a great group of cars and people on the run and the weather was perfect.

We only had one breakdown so the reliability part of things worked out pretty well.

This is going to be annual event so mark your calendars for April 2015 and I am going to start scouting more back roads for the next route.

Doug "Tex" Varner

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  8. just a quick question , is the hundred a one way distance or is the return distance included. Its just that I'm organising one and was making the hundred a round trip distance.

9. greenone

greenone

Thanks Doug and Jay for putting that on and doing all the hard work ahead of time. That was WAY more fun that sitting behind the truck in a camp chair watching all the car dusters whizzing around!!

10. I don't know how Doug's AZ route was, but the Hot Rod Hundred event that we are doing, in Southwest MO, is more of a disconnected loop. It's also actually 141 miles.

Here's the map that I have printed out for the participants: http://hotrodhundred.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/SWMO_HRH_Map.pdf

I never considered that we would have folks registering from as far away as what we are having. I know of some coming from over 400 miles away, just to drive some back roads of rural Missouri.

Hope that helps!

11. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Bret, I just sent you a pm @ [email protected]. It's a picture of the hard luck award. I cannot get the photo to attach here. I have some extra poly trophies for Roothawg if he needs them. Sam Kimbrough

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I didn't keep the route map, as HotRodRon wanted to take his wife for the drive later, but all of the distances were noted and if I'm not mistaken added up to a pretty even 100 miles. It was laid out in a sort of figure 8 pattern that swung through the McDowell mountains, three different 130 year old stage coach stop towns, and Lake Pleasant.

It was an absolutely brilliant route, as the history and beauty of this particular section of town has been largely forgotten due to the influx of super high end homes in the last couple of decades. I'm not sure if anybody else knew or not, but about 1/2 of our route Saturday was over the streets that covered the stage line routes that first brought people into the Phoenix area almost 150 years ago, when this was the wild west that you see in the movies!

13. Sam, I got your e-mail and just replied to it. THANKS!!!

14. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

It was 105 miles total round trip and it made sort of figure 8 loop. I did not want to back track too much on roads that we had already been on in order to keep the event interesting.

Driving your Hot Rod on two lanes roads is the best feeling every and covering over 100 miles without any mechanical issues is just the iceing on the cake for me.

Here is the map of our route:

Attached Files:

15. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

Thanks. The '32 fordor has been a great car so far, we've put over 13,000 miles on it since the magazine shoot, and about 16,000 miles total since we finished it. Hope you guys have a great time on the Southwest Missouri Reliability run this weekend!

-Ryan

16. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Just to build on what Chip was saying above, Greasewood flats is at Reata Pass which is a 1880's Butterfield stage stop also the filming location of the Coen Brothers cult classic " Raising Arizona" with Nicholas Cage, John Goodman, and Holly Hunter. We watched it the other night and Ijumped up and said that is Reatta Pass!!! Sure enought a little google action confirmed it here http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/r/Raising_Arizona.html

17. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Nice. " It's short for Edwina, Turn to the Right!"

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I coulda toldja that! If you want to see any other locations, give me a yell!

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

There's always next year Quinn.......