Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pomona Swap Meet 4-13-2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Went to the Pomona Swap Meet and Car Show, today. What a bust! Been going for 6 years. Not a huge turn out. Why are they allowing families to sell clothing and toys? I don't think I'll be returning to it. $10 to park and $10 to get thru the gate. For what? I approached one of the main players and asked the question "why are you allowing families to sell clothing and toys?" He couldn't give me an answer.

Oh, well. At least the cars were good to look at. DON'T EAT A BREAKFAST BURRITO HERE....Not good! They have to use the fair vendors for parking and food booths. $8.50 for a really crappy ham and egg burrito. It wasn't even good size.....Oh, well.....

So much for venting

2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You won't be disappointed at LAR Fathers day!

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I was there too...Saturday and Sunday...the weird thing is that the vendor side is supposedly nearly sold out..if you saw the vendor site map there wasnt an empty space anywhere...but when you walk the rows there are empty spaces all over the place. I dont know how that can be corrected. Ive been going for 25+ years and I have to say its been going downhill lately. Weather was great...still worth going to...but not as much as before...

4. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

It was a lot better 30 years ago. Cheaper and wound around behind the power substation. The overflow at the top was always full then too! I agree on all the non-car related stuff. At least the Gas Bash show was yesterday in Fontana, so there was a good selection of gas pumps to look at.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

you guys are starting to wake up and noticing that Pomona Swap Meet is now a shell of it once was.

6. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Moved out of Poormona last year and see I haven't missed out on much.

Last time I went to the "swap meet" I was in a sea of cliche Chebbys, row after row of Chinese flash chromed junk, bumping shoulders with fat f**ks wearing "LA" and Raiders paraphernalia,kicking trash between the rows, half empty cups of what started out as $10 beers, smelling nasty food that was guaranteed to give you butt pee, waiting in line to use porta-potties that were overflowing with fecal matter making you gag and wanting to throw up,no traffic control, vendors with bad attitudes, stuff getting stolen, the list goes on.
    That said, there WAS a time when this WAS a GREAT event. I used to look forward to going to every meet with my dad & friends back in the 80's and into the early 90's. It was the only place to find rare parts besides Hemmings and the local classifieds, and a good place to make friends.Ever since the internet (which I appreciate) it ruined things like swap meets, now every one can "shop" from the convenience of their arm chair.

7. Sure glad that I did not spend $2000 bucks and fly 17000 kilometres & a cab ride for it like lots of people down my way do. So if Pomona in now a family flee market, what is the best swap meet apart from the LARS swap meet to go to? Turlock? Iola? Did I spell those right?:eek: - just wondering.....
    -H.R.D-

8. Bader 2

Bader 2

San Diego big 3 is pretty good also. The swap that Todd Harding is putting on in phoenix is starting to get pretty good also!

9. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Yes, he will. The Fathers Day show has been crap ever since they reconfigured it. Half the swappers leave midday saturday. That meet is a waste of time, too.

10. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Depends what you are looking for, but I would say the best California swap meets are LARS, Turlock, and Big 3.

11. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Move to Utah for a few years, then you will appreciate having a swap meet close to you.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, any pics from these good/bad swaps?

13. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Waste of time? Lets see...
    1. Largest pure hot rod swap meet in Calif
    2. Largest display of Hot Rod parts manufacturers/builders (maybe GG Pleasanton in August compares?)
    3. Largest outdoor display of finished early roadsters, I think they get almost 1000
    4. Huge preferred parking area, probably a couple thousand cars on Saturday. Lots of them for sale
    5. Pre event open houses/tours of some of the premier builders in So Cal.
    Ya, it scales back on Sunday. But lots of people have a distance to drive, and it is Father's Day. Sunday morning is best time to check out the roadsters and merchants. Saturday its all about the swap meet and preferred parking. Friday- open houses, preview of swap meet. I haven't missed it in over 30 years.

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haven't been to either one since 77 but hope to go LARS again someday. Swapmeets aren't what they used to be but Turlock in Jan is still great as are the ones at Arco in Sacramento-always find neat items that I may never use but buy anyway. 40 parts are getting a little hard to come by though.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Turlock in January is probably the best swap in California, though I don't go all the way to So Cal to compare.... I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

16. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Have never been to Pomona but a buddy of mine took pics when he was.....looked like it went on for miles. Guess all good things gotta end..........

17. it your going to LARS you better like heat because it's hot! screw that!

18. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

^^^Not always. A couple of years ago it rained pretty good on Sunday of the show.

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coming soon!!!----see ya' there!!

Attached Files:

20. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I've been at every one for the past twenty years, all three days, with many friends swapping each year. If you can honestly tell me that it is as good as it was before the move, then we must be at different shows. It is better than Pomona however.

21. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I don't think any place other than LARS has the sheer volume of hotrod parts at one time,kin monts , ardun, scot, halibrand , you will see it there .. the prices reflect that also , I have never been to Hershey , but I have heard there is lots of neat rare stuff there, if you are looking for decent prices on regular parts Jefferson and Iola are pretty good for sheet metal .. Stuff like that , I haven't been to Turlock in years ... But that was the best all around early ford swap. I went to portland in 05 and everything seemed cheap to me then... i spent 100.00 and came home with a 37 ford cab , pr of arrow headlights an chevy valve covers... i was only there friday! . Chrr isn't half bad , as far as a good foot note to a great event ...

22. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Ratfink...have been going to Pomona and Turlock for years I can say hands down Turlock is WAY better. Pomona is still good....but Turlock is a GREAT swapmeet..the LARS swapmeet is good...but prices are high..its more of a boutique environment.

23. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

14 miles of vendors. I spent all my money at the stainless steel guy. $7.95/lb.

24. uncle buck

uncle buck

Old configuration or new , its been my favorite swap meet to attend with a show as a bonus. I will keep travelling the 1200 miles each way to attend and will have no problem if you stay home.:D

25. Haven't been to Pomona or Long Beach swap in years. Lars is the best by far, yes it was crappy after the change but still the best for hot rod/rare parts. I go to local club swaps and seem to do ok, but it's hard to find a swapmeet for 40's and older cars. I'm REALLY going to try to make Turlock next year.

Lars
    Big 3
    club swaps

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Swap's aren't what they were because of the very thing we're using, our computers. There are parts to be had here just a click over to parts for sale plus all the numerius other sight's that we know of as well. As far as spaces being sold out. Those spots are reserved to sellers that pay in advance for a year at a time. They just don't come out if they feel it's not worth it. Easy answer, and you guys are doing it, just stop going. The swaps will get it then maybe we'll get what we use to have back and with less walking. But that just a dream naturally on my part.

27. Crankhole

Crankhole

The only difference between the old LARS swap and the new LARS swap is the location. Otherwise, nothing has changed. Best swap on the planet.

28. lizzard71

lizzard71
    from Phoenix AZ

Can the general public get in Saturday night, or just vendors?
    I've went for years (as a buyer), still my favorite weekend. But the internet and the cost of gas (I think) have changed it the last few years. I'll do the LAR if I can get off work.

29. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Same thing in Las Vegas.

30. zeddman

zeddman
    from Orange, CA

Was thinking of drive up to this swap from Orange County, Ca. Looking for some rare Buick parts. How are the vendors? Anything close to the Turlock swap or more Pomona swap?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!