Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects what do you guys use for sound deadner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Apr 13, 2014.

1. I need to put some sound deadner down in the 56 buick wagon before i put the carpet in .What do you all use?.I saw 1 fellow on here said he had found some silver stuff at Lowes with a sticky back that he used.Our lowes had the sliver stuff but no sticky stuff on the back.Thanks Bruce.:cool:

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Spray adhesive and Lowes silver stuff ought to do it.
    Gary

3. Back in the roofing area is some rolls different widths. 4-6-8 wide. Peel and stick. Then you could order some of locorods insulation. Stick down with a little bit of white loctite in a chalking tube works very good.

4. ok .How have you been? Buddy!

5. Thats where i looked in Lowes Home depot had nuttin!

6. 117harv

117harv

7. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

it is in the roofing dept.

8. Model T1

Model T1

Type it into SEARCH and there will be several threads on this. Or just get the silver stuff at Lowes.

9. evintho

evintho

Used it all throughout my Mustang. Cheap and works like a charm! There are several different brands. Home Depot, Lowes, any large hardware store should have it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. roundvalley

roundvalley

REFLECTX @ Home Depot in the roofing Dept. Cheaper and a any Vet. gets 10% off with a DD214.

Attached Files:

11. slammed

slammed

12. Thanks for all the in put guys.I did see the small rolls of the peel and stick .I didnt think it would cover that much but i might have to go with that.I will check out Ace hardware though.Thanks again.Bruce.

13. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Peel and Seal at Lowes is 8" wide and comes in 25" rolls. It goes a lot further than you think. It took just over 2 rolls to do the front and back floor boards in my 60 Brookwood wagon. Wider rolls of other makes aren't that much better given the cutting you will have to do to make it fit the contours of the floor.

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

"Suppressor" from Thermo tech...available in five foot by 32 inch rolls at your nearest "Speed shop"...this is the stuff that drag racers use to insulate their interiors...thicker than "Peel and Seal"...sticky backed and once it's down you won't pick it aback up...used it in my '60 wagon...took three rolls to do the floor of MY '60 Brokwood wagon...it's quiet now...!!!

R-

[​IMG]

15. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What in hell is a chalking tube ?

17. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

I have used Dynamat Xtreme on my '32 Ford and '36 Chevy truck interiors. Works very well. Dynamat lists for $340 (9 sheets 18" X 32") Jegs sells it for $255, Summit wants $232 and you can buy it for $136 plus $20 shipping on EBay.

You only want to do it once so just buy the stuff made for cars and not for your house. JMO.

18. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I used U-Seal from home depot on my firewall. On the floors i used the reflectix on the floors, i was a bit worried the tar type backing on the u-seal would get stinky when warmed from the exhaust under the floor. That's why i used the reflectix on the floor...i think the u seal would do a better job because it's much more dense.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

19. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I used U-Seal from home depot on my firewall. On the.....

Don't know why this posted twice...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  20. Thanks again for all the input .Bruce.

21. WDobos

WDobos

Duct tape over her mouth,or go by myself. Sorry I couldn't pass that one up.

22. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

CAULKING eh?

23. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I got the same type of material as the lowes stuff but in a 3 ft wide roll. you can get it for what works out to 1$ a sq ft on that auction site that begins with E

24. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Haha, I was thinking "depends on if you want to silence her,... or kill her"

Great minds think alike:D

25. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I'll vouch for the roofing stuff. It works tits and it doesn't cost $300.

26. Rob68

Rob68

That isn't the case at all stores. I work at HD as Line Manager and the official policy on the DD214 is Veterans day, Labor Day, Memorial Day and Fouth of July only. If you are active Military, Retired or a dependent or are Service Connected and it states Service Connected on your VA card, you can get 10%. Just saying as different stores are following their own policy's and I wouldn't want someone getting pissed if they didn't get the 10%.

I'll be going with the reflectix soon myself.

27. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

For my roof I will use roofing materials. For my cars I use DynaMat, a product designed specifically for cars. Don't kid yourself, they are NOT the same.;)

28. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Take a look at this website. Not as inexpensive as Home Depot roofing stuff, but good quality stuff. And a lot of good info to be had. It's worth a look.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/