Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wanted!!! 1964/65 Ford Falcon A/FX Pics!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FAST EDDIE'S HOT ROD SHOP, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

This is the remnants of the Drake Viscome Vindicator as raced from 64-67. The car was raced out of Carmel Ford NY. I am currently restoring the car....it has about 60% of the original paint and as many of the original parts as could be salvaged.....Mike

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Thank You both for the injector information.I knew the Algon stuff was out there,EXPENSIVE,was not sure of the parts interchange!!! ROY.

3. Chiefrider

Chiefrider
    from Lower 48

This is my ALGON setup, the "easy" way with Enderle barrel and generic Hilborn- type nozzles- and the rare ALGON front cover/drive. The original ALGON converted aircraft pump is on the left

Algons1.jpg

Algons6.jpg

This is my hot rod setup for the Falcon, magnesium Kinsler 351C sprint car injectors, to go on my PSE adapter plate

$(KGrHqFHJE!FGvm0HOzNBR0+mB)hi!~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16J,!zcE9s4g0uEyBRv5z4eUw!~~60_57.JPG

4. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Just wondering,how much of the body itself is original,the rear wheelwells are different on yours

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

FunnyCar65:

I used to watch Drakes car race every Sunday at Dover Drag Strip and it was always a favorite. Where did you locate the original car?

This car has a very extensive drag racing history associated with it.

Jim Hill Nostalgic Racing Decals

6. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

As a youngster, the a/fx falcons were a favorite of mine. Unbeknownst to me, my mechanic in Maryland raced a 1963 427 Falcon back in the mid 60's. He saw the Vindicator was for sale and knew of its' history and traveled up to New York on a snowy day in January 1968 and brought the car back to Maryland (without a motor or tranny). He was disappointed with the car and took several items off the car and sold it to another individual in Maryland. The car was parked outside and it sat there for over 30 years deteriorating away. The car was never raced again after Drake Viscome owned it. I saw a local ad for the car and bought what was left of the car. I mentioned to my mechanic one day that I bought the remnants of an old Falcon called the Vindicator and he then told me the story about how he was the one who brought the car to Maryland from New York. It truly is a small world....Mike

7. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

...you have good eyes...the car is still a 2% car, but I cleaned up the wheel wells for a more stock appearance. The rear under pinning's are the same as a thunderbolt with a locker in 57 station wagon housing....

8. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

Here are the sideoiler and toploader ready to install....it also has an RC scattershield...

afx motor may 2014.jpg afx tranny may 14.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  9. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

...motor/tranny reunited with the car for the first time since 1968:
    afx motor with hilborns2 may 14.jpg

afx motor with hilborns3 may 2014.jpg

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

Mike:
    That is really starting to come together!
    What a really cool car,and you score some MAJOR karma points for taking the time to save it from rusting away beside somebody's garage.

Can't wait to see the finished product yank those front wheels and hang em in the air once again!:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. cooljunk

cooljunk

Shot by Mac's Motor City Garage at Detroit Dragway Reunion 2014
    [​IMG]

12. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Mike, the Vindicator is really coming along. I'll have to stop by soon to see it up close. Have you thought about taking it to Cecil County to display at the nostalgia meet, June 14?.....Mike

13. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

Mike....stop over any time, I could surely use your expertise in trying to get things correct. I doubt that it will be done for the Cecil County meet....I am working on the brakes and trying to figure out what all I will need to do the plumbing for the hilborns.....I haven't even started the electrical....I am just trying to get it finished for the York show in July....Mike

14. I have plumbed my Hilborn injection 2 times, going on three and have a friend that has a Hilborn unit on a 427 Ford. Let me know if I can help in any way. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401858760.161182.jpg

Mike Thomas
    64 Falcon B/FX
    65 Cyclone

15. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

Mike....appreciate the offer...I have talked several times with Mike Chilando of Alkydigger.net and he has helped me get the parts that I need (fuel filter, primary and secondary by-pass valves, cable for shut off valve, pills, etc). I found a local business that will make vintage style hoses (no stainless or anodized fittings). I still have to work out the linkage from the throttle to the hilborn setup....will probably need some type of bell crank to accomplish this.

I am still trying to work out the equalizer bar for the clutch (tight fit with the headers and steering column). I also have to find a vintage looking distributor...I have a Mallory Super Mag but it looks too new for this vintage of car. Any suggestions on a period correct distributor to go with this setup??? Mike

16. I really like those original style crimped hoses, I have been thinking about that too, but the black AN fittings and hose will work for now.

As far as a distributor, I am changing to one of the joe hunt magneto look alike distributors that have the coil built in and and physically look like a magneto. That may be a cool option for you.

Are you running gas or alcohol? Mike Chilando is extremely helpful.

For the throttle cable, I highly recommend a company called "control cables" they make shutoff cables and a bunch of stuff for junior fuel and vintage top fuel cars. I have one of their cables and it is bulletproof. They custom make them for you, just call them. Don't ever use any cheap lokar stuff, I'm sure you won't you sound like you know what your doing and are staying period correct.

Mike Thomas
    64 Falcon B/FX
    65 Cyclone

17. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

Mike....I am including some options for distributors that I currently have available. You can see from the pictures that one is a Mallory Super Mag, one is a Mallory Crab style and the last one is a stock dual point. Since the car originally ran a Sun tach, the mechanical tach drive isn't an issue.

....I will be running gas if I ever get the car finished.....Mike

distributor super mag.jpg distributor crab style.jpg distributor dual point.jpg

18. I like this one, can come wired for an MSD, if you want to hide one.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401998518.423261.jpg
    No matter what you put in it, you have one cool car with a lot of cool history. Can't wait to see it run. What else do you still need to do on it?

Mike Thomas
    64 Falcon B/FX
    65 Cyclone

19. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

Mike....I still have to do all the electrical, get the hoses connected from the hilborns to the pump, figure out if a 60's Sun tach connects to a super mag, make the chin spoiler, finish up the interior, attach the driveshaft loop, get the starter situated, put the radiator in and figure out the hose situation, cut holes in the hood, and the list goes on....we'll have to see how much gets finished for the York show....

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when my buddy was a kid one of his dad's friends kept a Falcon drag car in their garage. it was called "the Outcast". I believe he said it was Maroon or purple, had "organ pipes comin through the hood" and "willy bars" and slicks. it would have raced at Aquasco (?) or Buzz Creek (Buds creek ?), he lived in Maryland and South Carolina when he was a kid. he used to sit in it and make vroom vroom noises. probably 1965-1970. the owner was a black guy. he's not a car guy, but he really liked that car, and lived close enough to the track to ride his bike out there and sneak in under the fence

does that ring any bells?

21. You will be done in a week or two!

Mike Thomas
    64 Falcon B/FX
    65 Cyclone

22. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

...neat story....I don't recall ever seeing this car run....and my car was never run after the 67 season.....Mike

23. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

....not when it takes almost 6 hours to put on a header and starter....I'll always try to do something a little less stressful after a pain in the butt job....so I will be doing the tach on the dash which should be somewhat less frustrating.....

65COMET likes this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

25. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Cecil 2014002.jpg Cecil 2014004.jpg Had a nice turn out of Falcons at the Cecil County Nostalgia Reunion.....Mike

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;KOOL Falcons!! That yellow Hardtop is interesting,is it 6 cylinder powered?Was wondering that because of the two small pipes coming out the same side!! ROY.

27. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Roy, It's a 6. 1 piece fiberglass front end, fiberglass doors, lexan windows, aluminum interior. I walked by it a couple times but nobody around to talk with. Never saw it run, as I was walking the pits, car show, swap meet or hangin with Ken most of the day.....Mike

28. ssamx

ssamx
    from Maryland

Mike...a couple pictures of the crimped hoses. These are the 6 AN style...I'll have the 8 AN done for the fuel filter when I finally acquire it. The lines have to be the correct size and have the fittings in the correct direction before crimping. Mike

Attached Files:

29. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

My Falcon 001.jpg Fiberglass024.jpg Fiberglass020.jpg Fiberglass019.jpg Fiberglass026.jpg By popular demand (ok, so 65COMET is really the only one who wanted to see the pictures) here are a few shots of my Falcon project. Purchased July 4th weekend 2011, this is its first time down on all 4s and out of the garage in nearly 3 years.....Mike

30. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Mike, the car looks great! Please keep us updated.