Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electrical questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PatzPaint, Apr 11, 2014.

1. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

My Cab' runs good, except for a few issues.
    I am using a "std" NAPA ignition switch, with 4 terminals. it works normal but sometimes when I turn it off, the engine keeps running for a few seconds. Not all the time, but mostly. I have checked it with a meter and it reads ok.
    Also another anomaly, I have LED taillights with std bulbs in the front cowl lights/turn signals. I have a "low resistance" flasher(2 prong) and sometimes it works well, i.e. regular flash speed. Other times it flashes real fast. I have a Ron Francis signal switch.
    I used a "keepitclean" harness, with 2 flasher units, 1 for turn, 1 for hazards. I do not have hazards connected. I have tried using 2 low resistance flashers, does not work at all, leaving 1 unit out, does not work at all. Do I need to put a "jumper wire in the hazard socket?
    Next, after driving for awhile, the dash lights and park lights come on, even though the Ron Francis light switch has not been moved. If I turn the ign off then on again they stay out for a while, then come on again.
    Any suggestions?

2. squirrel

squirrel

dash lights may be a ground issue, something is getting grounded thru the lights, instead of where it is supposed to be grounded. Make sure the dash assembly is properly grounded. Or the switch is defective? hard to say.

the TS flasher going fast sounds like a ground issue or loose connection at one of the light sockets. When it's flashing fast, see if any of the lights are not lighting up, and check that socket carefully.

The engine shutting off thing...if it's dieseling, then you could try leaving it in drive when you turn off the key. If it is actually getting ignition, then maybe it needs a diode in the alternator exciter wire? without knowing all about the vehicle, we're just guessing

3. xtremek

xtremek

Is the flasher set up for LEDs? They take a special flasher.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

LED lamps do not draw enough current for typical typical flashers to operate correctly. Try an electronic flasher, should fix the issue.

If you have an alternator and the exciter (field) wire is going to ignition terminal, the engine won't shut off. But you could just move the exciter wire to accessory terminal and this will correct the run on issue.

5. Electric fans can cause this as well.

6. yep, I vote for the electronic flasher for the led fix. Need a little more input on the run on condition as mentioned. Could be as simple as a diode needed in the charge circuit.
    Have you checked with the wiring manufacturer?

7. stimpy

stimpy

have seen this issue a lot with race cars not using a relay and some OEms when the relay sticks ,then it runs till the fan winds down. as for the light s turning on I would check the switch , turnsignals its the flasher .

8. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

Thanks for all the input guys.
    The flasher is an electronic one. Tried 2 of them, had same issue with both.
    Lights I will have to do more research/searching. Yesterday went out to move car, and soon as ignition was turned on, dash lights and park lights came on.
    Engine run on is mystery. All wiring is to published standards, and 'KeepitClean" just sends me another copy of their diagram. It is no help. I have a Mazda alternator fitted and I have an idiot light wired into it as well as using a Volt gauge.I do have an electric fan, but it is set on a temp switch, but turns off with the ignition.

9. squirrel

squirrel

If there is no relay in the fan circuit, try adding one. Or just disconnect stuff on the ignition circuit until it stops running on, and then you'll know what the problem is. But make sure it's ignition...some engines will diesel when shut off, without any ignition.

10. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

It is not dieseling Jim, I am aware of that one. This just keeps running as tho' you haven't turned it off, but only for about 2 seconds..
    I guess putting a diode that only allows current to go to the alternator is what has been mentioned earlier.
    The fan kicks in at 160-170F, so it is not running usually when I first turn it off, so I do not think that the fan would cause a feedback.
    I went driving today, and it did it every time I turned it off. I am going to check where the feed to the Alt is coming off the key, I think it is off IGN, not ACC.