Register now to get rid of these ads!

Studebaker 2R5 Intro and Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DHeep, Jul 30, 2012.

1. DHeep

DHeep

Hello all. It is with mixed emotions that I find reason to join and post after years of lurking.

My step-dad passed away a couple weeks ago and left me a small project, and by small, I mean Hoover Dam-esque.

Here is my new pride and joy:

[​IMG]

Having finally found the title, I now know it's a '51.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. DHeep

DHeep

Having never built something like this before, I find it overwhelming at times. I'm not sure where to start.

I know mechanics, physical work. I can and have been inventorying body work that still needs to be completed. Some of the items on the list include that big gaping hole you see, bed mounts, and bed work (the bed was cut to widen it, but it was never completed).

Meanwhile, I'm learning everything I can about what I actually have, and inventorying parts.

Today I learned about pistons. I feel like I'm in grade school all over again, but it's invigorating. I've determined that I have a Chevy small block. Connecting rods are 6", pistons were measured at roughly 4.030", and the bore appeared to be roughly 4.035", but the crank and pistons are/were unknown. I knew they were Keith Black so I took a picture and fired off an email.

After an email from Keith Black, I now know that I have KB122 pistons installed.

The specs are:

Bore (in) 4.030 in. Bore (mm) 102.362mm
    Piston Style Flat top, with two valve reliefs
    Piston Material Hypereutectic aluminum
    Compression Distance (in) 1.130 in.
    Piston Head Volume (cc) +7.00cc
    Wrist Pin Style Press-fit or floating
    Pin Diameter (in) 0.927 in.
    Piston Ring Thickness 1/16 in. x 1/16 in. x 3/16 in.

3. DHeep

DHeep

[​IMG]

Here is a quick visual of them.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

good looking truck! did he do a frame swap? if ya need parts i can point you in the right direction (to people who know WAAAAY more then me). have you been to studebaker truck talk?

5. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

I have been working on this one for about 20 years its been fun wish you the same with your new project. Had the red wheels since 1999 just put the chrome wheels this year. What are your plans?

Attached Files:

6. DHeep

DHeep

I believe the I have most everything for the truck itself. The motor however needs heads, an intake, and fuel delivery.

His dream for the truck was an extreme custom. My wife and I are more traditionalist, so I am stuck trying to find an emotional and physical balance.

The frame is original, though I believe the suspension is corvette(?). I know I have a compressor and bags for the IRS setup.

The bed was cut to widen, but that should be easy to complete.

I haven't figured out the interior. I would love buckets, but as a family of 3, I think a bench (I have the original) may be the best option to allow all of us to ride together.

7. DHeep

DHeep

I have not been there, but I'm off to google!

And Dave, that truck is beautiful. I love the wheel/tire combo. It adds just enough color to accent the satin.

8. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

alot of knowledgeable stude guys on there. the majority of the guys are into stock trucks, but appreciate them all! To make it a bit easier. here's the address.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

i agree! i'm heading the same way with my truck, and have ironically been editing that very picture to decide on colors, hope that's ok dave!:D

9. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

Very cool

Here's mine

Attached Files:

10. DHeep

DHeep

Nice!

I haven't had much progress to report. I'm still inventorying parts and trying to determine what I need.

Right now, I'm stressing hood hinges. I don't know why, but it's really bothering me. I don't seem to have any, but want them for mock-up of the motor placement.

I am going to need help specifying motor parts as well. I love the idea of fuel injection, but it's just more than I can justifiably spend. I think a quality carburetor setup should provide ample power, and reliability. I really want to be able to drive this thing across the country, you know?

11. DHeep

DHeep

Ha! I'm going to complain online more often, I just found the hinges buried in a box of parts! WOOT!

12. McFly

McFly

Oh man...I love those trucks. One day.

13. DHeep

DHeep

Ha! Title in hand it's officially an 1951!

I also found a lot of paperwork including the build/buy sheet for the 700R4 and it's modifications from BTC. Now I know the gear ratios!

Good day indeed!

14. DHeep

DHeep

Oh, another interesting fact, the rear end is Thunderbird (installed), with bags (not installed)...

Learn something new every day. :)

15. DHeep

DHeep

Finally got the bed off the truck to look at the rear suspension.

[​IMG]

1990 Ford Thunderbird I believe. Looks like there's some questionable mounts so I have some work ahead of me.

On the bright side, the panel on the bed that has a huge hole can be replaced and I found the part online for $35.

16. DHeep

DHeep

Here is what I need to deal with...

[​IMG]

17. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Any updates? It's been almost a year...

18. DHeep

DHeep

Sorry, but work "allows" me to travel every other week, and by allow I mean forces. This means that progress has been slow.

I have made a little progress. I started work on engine placement using a plastic block and today I picked up the actual 327 that is going in.

Attached Files:

19. DHeep

DHeep

I have also began work on instrumentation. I can't decide which route to go. I have found a few people that advertise gauge restoration, but they are insanely expensive. I decided to use my laser to scan the original cluster panel and machine one from aluminum. Now I have a few parts like this, some with holes for standard round gauges and a couple that don't have any openings so that I may go the digital route if I change my mind.

Attached Files:

20. DHeep

DHeep

Here is an image of the 3D model I made for the gauges.

Attached Files:

21. studeboy

studeboy

Glad to see some progress pics. Looks like the little guy's having fun too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. DHeep

DHeep

Yes, that's my 8yo son. I'm trying to ensure that he gets an early start to his love for things that burn fuel. :)

23. My stepdad is working on a '51 2R5, I'll be paying attention to this thread!

24. DHeep

DHeep

While I do not have much eye-candy to share, I did place an order for the flex-plate, ARP flex-plate bolts, and some Doug's D304 ceramic coated headers today. This should help with engine/transmission placement since I do not yet have mounts completed for any of that "stuff".

:)

25. Keep at it..its gonna be nice!! Here's my 49...

[​IMG]

DHeep likes this.
  26. DHeep

DHeep

Nice truck!

I've received the steering column from ididit, now I'm sourcing items like the transmission mount, fuel pump, etc. I could use some help/advice on the brakes though. I had to remove the factory pedal assembly to accommodate the engine placement and exhaust. I know that I've seen master cyl/booster/pedal "kits", but I'm having a hard time sourcing one.

Any input, guidance, lessons learned, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

--Phillip

27. PackardV8

PackardV8

Re-engineering your pedal system is way more difficult than one who hasn't ever done it might think.

FWIW, I've put most any engine and exhaust imaginable in an R-series and not had as many problems as replacing the pedals would cause.

jack vines

28. DHeep

DHeep

Jack, I figured as much, hence the cries for help. ;-)
    I'm way beyond the original engine and original brake system. With the SBC and 4-wheel disks, I know I'm going to need more than the old lever under the floor board was going to provide. I've seen some kits that included an under the dash pedal assembly that was designed as a retrofit and included the booster and master, but I can't seem to find them. I know a lot of people in the custom race car chassis circles use them, but I haven't heard back from anyone I know in that arena.

Thanks for the warning, it's about how I'd expect anything to go on this truck. SLOWEST BUILD EVER.

;-)

29. studeboy

studeboy

I think Kugel Komponents is who you are looking for. You may run into more hassle with the way the dash is in these trucks than just an under floor setup.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!