Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chevy hardtop--Here goes nothing!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostinmiself, Mar 22, 2014.

1. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Nice ride what condition is the interior in?

2. Christ, that '49 is better than the '50 I was building. The stuff guys part out is beyond me.

'51-54 backing plates give you brakes you can actually find parts for; wheel cylinders are Corvette to '62, the shoes are stupid cheap because they fit like 100 different cars, and you put rear hardware from like '62-'68 in there and you can make them self-adjusting. It's a bolt on swap.

3. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

It's there, has seats Needing redone, No Door panels, No Head Liner. I'll Try and Snag Some Pics This weekend.

Ya some mans trash is smothers treasure. Regarding the 51+ plates, it's still a process of finding the later model plates as well. I don't have much for resource wise, trying to do this on a low budget. I'll poke around the local craigs and few other guys who build old cars and see what's around.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  4. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Everything should be blasted and done this weekend, going to look for the later year backing plates, but if nothing comes up quicker than later I'll just use what I have.

Attached Files:

5. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Love your car, that is one sweet body style! Best to you man!

6. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

As do I!! Thank you, can't wait to drive it.

7. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Sandblasted, still looking for backing plates, not much progress, between a big mainline gas job at work, wife's birthday, and the holiday it's been a couple weeks since I've had spare time for the 50.

8. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

9. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Couldn't get the photo to post above for some reason

Attached Files:

10. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I have a set of backing plates I believe, I will check and if I still have them they are yours just pay for the ride.........

11. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Awesome!!! Let me know, pm me when you know!

12. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

More of the parts 49, pretty solid car id say. Already have people wanting to buy it as it is. Just thought id share since I've been busy with work, home, and getting power to garage. Hope for some progress on the 50 soon. Until then enjoy these.

Attached Files:

13. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I say don't scrap the '49, she's more solid than my '50. and yes, do the '51-'54 Bendix brake swap. You'll be thankful that you did. Also if it didn't come factory with a poweglide tranny, you may want to swap rearend gears for highway cruising speeds.

14. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

I'm going to try and sell the 49 after I get what I need off it, In trying to get the backing plates there was a guy in here who said he has a set for me, just waiting on him to get me shipping price so I can send him money. Kinda waiting in that before I can do much more. As far as rear ends go I have a th350 with a 68 camaro 10bolt rear for my 50 I'll be using.

15. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Hey man are you not getting my pms? I was out for a bit and then the site changed. I have those plates ready but want to get you some pics first just so you know what you are getting! Email me at [email protected] so I can get those puppies to ya!!!!!!

16. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

I've been trying to figure out the new layout, not a fan of change so it's difficult for me. Got the front cross member cleaned and painted and bolted back on, finishing painting the front suspension and then it goes back on. Found some 54 plates at the local antique auto ranch, they are blasted and waiting for me to pick them up. Once the front is back together I can focus on the new engine mounts and transmission mount. Once that's done I'll be able to rebuild the 327 and get that in. It's slow going as I really have no idea what I'm doing, and working outside without a garage, so it's always having to pick up my tools and clean up witch cuts my short time I get to work on it down. Never the less I just putt along.

17. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Cross member painted, frame primed, still have to get mounts made so once that is done I'll paint the frame and everything else black to match. Now that I found my thread I can continue on the updates.

Attached Files:

18. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

One more with my little girl, just because I can

Attached Files: