Register now to get rid of these ads!

History help with history on 32 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clemdaddy, Apr 8, 2014.

1. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

found in rural arkansas this chopped and channeled 5 window must have some history about it. registered in 1951 to a john rowland in pomona california. has some paperwork including a build sheet on the flathead.

i am curious as to who, when and where it was built. is there someone on here that is a good historian on old hotrods?

here is a pic the day i brought it home. i will post more pics in a day or two.

any help would be appreciated...

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

For a second there I thought it was a 32 plymouth 3 window with the back glasses covered up like that. Neat car

Stogy likes this.
  3. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Wow, neat find!! With the unique window treatment you should be able to find some information on it. The chop on these cars is there hot rod finger print.

I am close to finding the history of my '32 3W with roots to racing at El Mirage.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Great buy man!! You already have more info than some start with. Enjoy, and we will watch for more pics. Thanks, Tim

Stogy likes this.

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool score! Without the filled windows,it kind of has a Lynn Yeakal profile to it. Good luck with your search. I have been chasing mines history for over 40 years and you know more of your's already.

Stogy likes this.
  6. From what I can see by blowing up the photo it started life as a 5 window,,the quarter windows have been filled and the rain cutters have been shortened.

Pretty unique look,hopefully someone will recognize the cars or remember it from the past.HRP

Stogy likes this.
  7. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

Hi Clem, this is Kenny Emberly ... I just spoke with you...

Stay in touch. Here's a pic of my coupe from the weekend.. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397006124.581795.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Please tell me you arent gunna butcher that into a fucking street rod!!

9. NealinCA

NealinCA

The body looks a lot like the June 1953 Rod and Custom cover car...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    bowie, Stogy and Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy like this.
  10. 562roadster

562roadster

WHOA! What a nice hot rod. And it sure does look like the cover car!!!

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

The firewall is different tho, I doubt they woulda pulled out the chrome one

12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

What a find! Hope you stay with the 1951 look for this car.

13. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Maybe the cover car was the inspiration for the build on this car! Very interesting car! Great score!

Are you sticking with the flathead?

3blap.

14. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

i think you're right. not the cover car but inspired by it.

have no plans to change anything. putting it in the garage, grabbing a cold beer and just staring at it.

scanned the build sheet on the flathead and took a pic... maybe i can figure out how to post pics without them being thumbnails

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  15. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats, nice find

Stogy likes this.
  16. My thoughts exactly. HRP

17. JD Miller

JD Miller

Puts some air in the tires and its finished its perfect how it is

18. 51 mercules

51 mercules

19. Awesome ol car!

20. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Unique and extremely cool. It will look great goin' down the road!

21. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I would say you have the '51 cover car.....Green laquer, channeled ,filled quarter windows which is very unique, California history, the channeled firewall is different but those can be changed, looks like the cover car version was more a racer with out a radiator or grill shell, no front brakes, you can almost make out the squarish steering arm on the front spindle on the cover car.

You have to remember that these cars did get " updated" over the years so things changed. It looks to me it was a purpose built drag car in '51 and then got put on the street, so swapping a firewall is no big deal.

Very cool original rod, so don't let the revisionist tradiational guys tell you to un channel it and fix the back windows, and take away its hot rod soul!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    bowie and Stogy like this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If the quarter windows are shoddily done, (AND the car is not that same one OR if solid history isn't found) it wouldn't be too sinful to open them up and clean the Coupe up as a channeled 5 window.

If that IS the green one, the windows will have to be left alone. (It's the law)

23. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

With a magnifying glass you can see that the right body line below the b pillow forward is pushed in , if your car has same area damage inside , you have a match........

Stogy likes this.
  24. Clemdaddy's 5-window looks to be chopped quite a bit more than the green one as well.

Mick

Stogy likes this.
  25. Cool car, hope you find the history. I wish I lived in an old gas station!

Dustin

Stogy likes this.
  26. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

took a few more pics of the coupe. tried to google the name on the 1951 registration, 'John Rowland' in Pomona California and it seems that the original John Rowland was a very famous dude in the 1850s. hes got high schools and sub divisions and all kinds of stuff named after him. but haven't found out if the coupe was of a decendent of his. maybe a renegade' black sheep' grandson had this car... don't know yet.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  27. Very cool. I'd mechanically restore it. Clean it up as is and drive it. Why mess with history.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^^^^
    Agreed. Punchinching out the quarter windows and unchanneling it would make it look like many other 32 5/w's running around. Close up of firewal shows where bottom 2/3's of an original was gas welded back in. The "hump" portion would have previously been torched out to fit the flat/chromed firewall (which could have rusted and been replaced in late 50's when the car was streeted).

took a few more pics of the coupe. tried to google the name on the 1951 registration, 'John Rowland' in Pomona California and it seems that the original John Rowland was a very famous dude in the 1850s. hes got high schools and sub divisions and all kinds of stuff named after him. but haven't found out if the coupe was of a decendent of his. maybe a renegade' black sheep' grandson had this car... don't know yet.

Possibly a long line of John Rowlands. in CA.

Calif. Search reveals a John Rowland VI at 74 years old which would be about right;

http://www.zabasearch.com/people/john+rowland/ca/

Stogy likes this.
  29. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Quater windows look to be well done and body work is in lead so it is old '50s work.

How many other '32 5W have you seen from California with Quater windows filled and painted in Green laquer?

Pretty unique Deuce and chances are it is the same car.

Stogy likes this.
  30. 562roadster

562roadster

Frame horns are rounded also. You sir have found a gem!

Stogy likes this.