Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gangrene, a gasser story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rebstew187, Apr 5, 2014.

1. rebstew187

rebstew187

I'll be looking for a trunk lid but just in case I can't find one this will do for a while.

2. rebstew187

rebstew187

I don't have the taillights so I'm going to make something close to them and mold it all in like they are frenched. The metal is so screwed up around the taillights stock bezels wouldn't bolt in anyway.

As you can see the taillights have seen better days. The body was cut up for Stude lights and the left side was in a crash and messed up.
    [​IMG]
    Bent up some round stock to form a taillight opening and made a template.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rebstew187

rebstew187

4. rebstew187

rebstew187

So the gasser build is up to date as of today, Saturday April 5. I'll post up more stuff as I get her done if there seems to be some interest in this project by anyone.

5. rebstew187

rebstew187

By the way the title says it all. I'm going to call this gasser, "Gangrene"
    I think it's a fitting name due to having to cut off the nasty rotting stuff that has been done to this car in order to save it's life and give it a second chance.

6. I think you made the right decision. I saw the other thread and thought there's a lifelong project. Good luck, I'll be following along.

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SUBSCRIBED! You are probably right, you're going to catch some flack but I LOVE IT!

8. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Keep on going! Interesting thread!
    Jay

9. rc57

rc57

You got a lot done today! Lookin good.

10. hats off for taking this one on... will be following your progress.

Rick

11. High5

High5

Man, you must've peeled off a good 35lbs of Bondo!

Everything you've done so far has improved this project tremendously. Love the taillight treatment.

I'd go find another trunk lid. But that's just me.

You mentioned you may move the rear axle forward. Are you planning to radius the fender openings also or leave them looking stock?

Keep us posted.

12. nelson845

nelson845
    from Sewaren,NJ

You are a brave(talented) man. Good work so far, I like the direction your going with it and the name. Any plans for the top?....subscribed!

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow! I give you lots of credit for saving a car that few would bother saving.

14. Fenders

Fenders

Be careful, with all that nice work it looks like you are going to end up with a car you will really care about !! :D

15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I like where this is going...great work so far. Also, I'm throwing in my vote for radiusing the rear wheel wells.

16. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

After all the effort to save this car, I bet you will care if it hooks wrong and goes into the wall! You have some awesome metal working skills. I'm really impressed to see you save a car that I would have gave up for dead and took to the crusher. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

17. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

nice work and kudos for not giving . shows u are a true unrehabitabul gear head (dont know if that is a real word)

18. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Holy Moly!

That was a ton of bondo! My hats off to you, this will be an interesting ride

Bobby

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wont get any traction now with all that weight removed from the rear! ;)

20. mikeyyeah

mikeyyeah

that really is a ridiculous amount of bondo. i dig the way youre moving forward with it though

21. rebstew187

rebstew187

Thanks for the kind words guys. I more than likely will radius the back fenderwells Nothing is set in stone. I just have jump in to it and if I feel it's right I go for it.

22. rebstew187

rebstew187

The club did a car show and drag race for opening day at Thornhill Dragstrip today. I was drooling all day wishing I had it done. I wouldn't wishing eating a wall on anyone. I may have spoken out of term but having some fun is what the old car will be about.

23. 51CHEVYGASSER

51CHEVYGASSER

Here's my "GANGREEN". See my photo album for pic's. Finished wiring this weekend, just need to hang the doors and I can start "Disturbin the Streets".

51CHEVYGASSER

24. rebstew187

rebstew187

Sorry for the bad pictures guys. It's been raining like crazy so I can't push it out to get pics. Too much bare metal. I took what I could but my garage is so small where this one is you can't see much.

I yanked the Nova 8.2 rear end out of the 54 a few days back. Rear end I'm using is out of a 56 Chevy Truck. It's suppose to have 411 gears. I need to figure out how to get a posi in it. I know nothing about these rear ends. Anyone make a posi carrier or a spool for one of these?
    [​IMG]

Pay no mind to the rough cuts. The car was sitting on the tires. The opening will be cut out to fit bigger tires. Like said in an earlier post I'm altering the wheelbase. After I got to looking one of the body mounts is in the way of going more than 3 1/2" forward. The mock up tires are 29" tall. I may run 31" pie crust on the back. Giving a couple inches for swell and suspension movement all I can do is move the rear forward 3 1/2 " Hard to tell from the pictures but the wheel opening is cut way forward of stock. A lot of reshaping the wheels and inners by the time I'm done. I didn't want to get into frame cutting and moving body mounts. I think this will work well.
    [​IMG]

I hung new springs and hanger on the back. They are really stiff. I may take a leaf out and drop it a few inches in the rear.
    [​IMG]

25. rebstew187

rebstew187

Checked out the pictures. You done a ton of work. Looks like she may be a handful on the track.

26. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Modern day cheater slicks don't grow a whole lot, not like the slicks you are used to running Steve. Before you go hog wild hacking it out more, I'd call the 1800 I know everything line to a couple tire places that sell them and see what they say, if you leave it kinda stiff you can keep your radius kinda tight on the tire and keep the looks right.. Just a thought. I know you street drive yours a lot and you have kids and drive them around to so you may want some creature comfort...lol looks like your gonna have some fun with this one... I'm super anxious to get back to the garage and start back on my Junkers....

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great save. If you wouldn't have done this, it would have been a bitter end for this li'l Chevy.
    She'll LOVE the drags...

28. fairlaneranch

fairlaneranch

Please tell me yer gonna flake that thing!!! Im tuned in!!
    <mytubeelement data="{&quot;bundle&quot;:{&quot;label_delimitor&quot;:&quot;:&quot;,&quot;percentage&quot;:&quot;%&quot;,&quot;smart_buffer&quot;:&quot;Smart Buffer&quot;,&quot;start_playing_when_buffered&quot;:&quot;Start playing when buffered&quot;,&quot;sound&quot;:&quot;Sound&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification&quot;:&quot;Desktop Notification&quot;,&quot;continuation_on_next_line&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;loop&quot;:&quot;Loop&quot;,&quot;only_notify&quot;:&quot;Only Notify&quot;,&quot;estimated_time&quot;:&quot;Estimated Time&quot;,&quot;global_preferences&quot;:&quot;Global Preferences&quot;,&quot;no_notification_supported_on_your_browser&quot;:&quot;No notification style supported on your browser version&quot;,&quot;video_buffered&quot;:&quot;Video Buffered&quot;,&quot;buffered&quot;:&quot;Buffered&quot;,&quot;hyphen&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;buffered_message&quot;:&quot;The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.&quot;,&quot;not_supported&quot;:&quot;Not Supported&quot;,&quot;on&quot;:&quot;On&quot;,&quot;off&quot;:&quot;Off&quot;,&quot;click_to_enable_for_this_site&quot;:&quot;Click to enable for this site&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification_denied&quot;:&quot;You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site&quot;,&quot;notification_status_delimitor&quot;:&quot;;&quot;,&quot;error&quot;:&quot;Error&quot;,&quot;adblock_interferance_message&quot;:&quot;Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.&quot;,&quot;calculating&quot;:&quot;Calculating&quot;,&quot;waiting&quot;:&quot;Waiting&quot;,&quot;will_start_buffering_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start buffering when initialized&quot;,&quot;will_start_playing_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start playing when initialized&quot;,&quot;completed&quot;:&quot;Completed&quot;,&quot;buffering_stalled&quot;:&quot;Buffering is stalled. Will stop.&quot;,&quot;stopped&quot;:&quot;Stopped&quot;,&quot;hr&quot;:&quot;Hr&quot;,&quot;min&quot;:&quot;Min&quot;,&quot;sec&quot;:&quot;Sec&quot;,&quot;any_moment&quot;:&quot;Any Moment&quot;,&quot;popup_donate_to&quot;:&quot;Donate to&quot;,&quot;extension_id&quot;:null},&quot;prefs&quot;:{&quot;desktopNotification&quot;:true,&quot;soundNotification&quot;:true,&quot;logLevel&quot;:0,&quot;enable&quot;:true,&quot;loop&quot;:true,&quot;hidePopup&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlay&quot;:true,&quot;autoBuffer&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlayOnBuffer&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlayOnBufferPercentage&quot;:42,&quot;autoPlayOnSmartBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;quality&quot;:&quot;default&quot;,&quot;fshd&quot;:false,&quot;onlyNotification&quot;:false,&quot;enableFullScreen&quot;:true,&quot;saveBandwidth&quot;:false,&quot;hideAnnotations&quot;:false,&quot;turnOffPagedBuffering&quot;:false}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{&quot;loadBundle&quot;:true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

29. Subscribe

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. AHotRod

AHotRod

WOW! What a undertaking ...... a tip-of-the-hat to you!