Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

And that stuff LOOKS like it's the 90's too!

2. Got to be getting close to a fire up vid ain't it Steve?

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I fired it a couple if months ago buddy but didn't run it too long because it was a but on the loud side and didn't want to piss the neighbours off too much.

4. That's excatly how a true Gasser's supposed to sound ain't it? lol

Having been a few feet from Mazimanian's Austin gasser at Bakersfield when it fired up and did a few quick blips of the throttle, I can apreciate the noise......I'm 6'1 and 15 stone and it damn near blew me off my feet!

I can't wait to see it out and about scaring the bejesus out of everyone!

I hope you get the chance to run it at Shakespeare, will you be doing the Hot rod drags or the Nostalgia Nat's this year with it mate?

Jay

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The noise won't be a problem when I take it back home but where it is at the moment is surrounded by old peoples places and last time I started for 45 seconds someone called the cops !!!

Yes I'm gonna be in the gasser circus race series so will definitely be at shakey & Santa pod at some point, that is if we still have Shakey !!!

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cheers Dave, glad to see you back mate.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Since things got moved around on the HAMB I have been somehow missing your thread, Steve. Didn't realize you were to the point of actually firing it up. Can't wait to hear this baby run. :)

Don

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Don I've already fired it but only for a short time, I have to change the front springs as the others have sagged about 2", I have some up rated ones to go on when I get a chance.
    Cheers steve

9. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

if you dont have pics it didnt happen lol great build Steve

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha

11. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Good to see the weather is being kind to you, keep them updates coming. I love this build.

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Chris, how are things with you guys ?

13. stickerdick

stickerdick

Very nice ride . Allot of fab work. I imagine this is a very unique ride in London!

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Just an update for those that are interested, I ticked off the last job on the list today, just need to do the repair on the front panel and bolt the front on and we are done

No pics as not worth taking any but this is how it sits at 1830 tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Looks great Langy!

16. 1954satan

1954satan

lovin' it! "fire it up! fire it up":p

< [who the sam hell is this guy??]

17. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Looks great Steve!

Sent from my EVO using H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:) Hi Steve.Looking good.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. That thing looks awesome!! X2 on "Fire it up, Fire it up!!!!"

Bill

20. loudbang

loudbang

Waiting for the FIRE UP. :)

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That really looks great, Steve. You did a bang up job as usual. Let me ask you something. I see on Wheeler Dealers where cars in the UK have to go through a Government process to get them legitimatized so they can be driven on the roads, it looks pretty thorough. How do hot rods fare in that process ?

Don

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys, Its been fired up for a while now, I will get a video as soon as i can .

23. ROCKIT

ROCKIT

There are a few 'anomalies' that can be utilised Don!
    If I told you, I would have to kill you! Hope you understand?

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Don its a process we don't talk about online mate, I will explain it all when I see you later this year.

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well having been having a little more luck lately, got all the little snagging jobs done & dusted, unfortunately over the winter the period waterslide transfers I had bought didnt fare too well, some just fell off and the other faded badly, only answer was to sand them all off [​IMG] shame as they looked the part, I think they are so old the glue on them is well past its use by date.

This is how they looked to start with

[​IMG]

After a year they looked like this

[​IMG]

Now looks like this

[​IMG]

While the front was all in pieces I did some mods to the bracketry, now I can either undo 10 bolts and remove the complete front or undo 6 bolts either side and take a fender or front panel off separately and leave the rest there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing thats been bothering me was sorting out a trailer as my trailer is 72" wide max but the willys rear end is 74" wide, managed to sort that problem today when I found out a freind that into 4WD has a trailer 78" wide I can borrow anytime [​IMG]

27. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

Bugger about the transfers. But congrats on sorting all the snags.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Width of the car shouldn't be a problem on your trailer, just cut the side off and let it hang an inch over on each side, or make an angle iron outrigger behind the fender. The rearend doesn't have to pass the trailer fenders anyhow.

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Can't do that on my trailer as it would mean removing 3ft each side which would compromise the strength.

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Bit of an update, yet again gremlins stopped me from getting the Willys to the Nos Nats first problem was the MSD wasnt getting a full 12v to it while cranking which turned out to be a duff new battery, Had to bite the bullet and replace with a red top optima but now we have a nice fat spark

A more worrying problem was that I was losing some compression at TDC on the firing stroke, looked at the problem so many times it was doing my head in so decided it was time for a fresh pair of eyes so rang my mate Fred who came over for a looksee, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees when chasing down these problems, after an hour or so he suddenly noticed the inlet valve on no1 cylinder was ever so slightly open on the firing stroke

So we decided to go back to basics and set it up again which showed up a problem with the Comp Cam timing gears/chain, when I assembled the motor originally the instructions were crap and didn't make sense to me so I called Comp Cams techline and the guy on the line explained how to set it up, having now checked it all it appears he must of been having a bad day as what he told me is wrong !!!

Anyways tonight Fred is coming over with various bits of equipment and we will retime the complete motor and hopefully put the last problem to bed

Getting to the timing gears involved stripping the front out and dropping the oil pan so this is how it stands at the moment, hopefully everything will go well and I can get to Dragstalgia.

Oh and also my new radiator is leaking !!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014