Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rear T spring on A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chiliman, Apr 6, 2014.

1. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Has any one put a T rear spring on A to lower it I have ben told that you can do it and it lowers it about 3'' If so what shackle do you use I think the T spring is not as wide thanks guys chili

2. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

stock A shackles work fine. Ive done it.

3. Carter

Carter

I question that 3" number, but in any event, I used A shackles and made four 1/8" spacers to take up the gap at the spring.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

In the process of doing the same thing. Forgot what shackles, but they are narrow than the original rear. You do have to make up some spacers.

5. Koz

Koz

The T spring is 2" and the "A" 2 1/4" wide. Just space the sides to lock the spring in as mentioned above. Also you can use typical 2 1/4" shackles, narrow the poly liners 1/4" and space between the shackle plates with 1/8" "thick" washers. I get these from Kuzans Hardware in either plain or chrome. Works well if the car isn't very heavy. Stiff shocks are a must!

6. Other solution is to grind down the mounts on the rear end 1/8 each end and run model A front shackles

This is a good alternative for A housings that have damaged spring mounts, which is common

7. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

A Model T spring is for lighter duty. If your A Bone is full-fendered you may be too soft with just a T spring. If the fenders and all extra weight is gone from your ride, you may be OK with the lighter T spring. If it does turn out to be too light of a spring, you can always just change it back to the A spring. Just a thought here.

8. Elrod

Elrod

Don't worry about spacers. Just do the swap.

Black car has the T spring. Roadster is stock.

[​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  9. bdave_mcc

bdave_mcc

Not to hijack the thread but, I was thinking about this earlier this morning. I have a reverse eye Model A spring to put on my A roadster. Will a T spring lower the rear more than an A spring with reversed eye and a few leafs removed? Or is the T spring the best option to get it as low as possible without Z-ing the frame?

10. no, its about the same drop
    the difference is that the t spring is easier to install with the eyes pointing down instead of up
    tk

11. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

if you go too low, the banjo housing will hit the crossmember. Every.Single.Bump.

12. racemad55

racemad55

Rollingbones use the T spring in the A crossmember on all their builds. I like a little T&A myself at times.

13. bdave_mcc

bdave_mcc

Is the best option cutting the frame? As long as I can get it done over a weekend im good with that.

14. Elrod

Elrod

What we are saying is put a T spring in it. Take the top most tiny leaf out and go. Takes an hour and done.

15. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

It is a 30 rodster pickup sounds like the T spring is gona work just fine have one located15min from the house going with 16s joe's speed shop 4 '' droped axle on front 4 cylinder merkcruiser 86 f-100 4speed overdrive and open drive and 32 shell up front a little at a time thanks guys

sko_ford likes this.
  16. What's the reason for taking the top leaf out?, putting the 8 leaf T in the rear of my '28 tudor.

17. verde742

verde742

I have not found it that EZ to find a T spring..

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

I've bought two from 117harv here on the board.

Shocks are a must. I kinda feel they're too soft. I would consider reworking the stock spring and cross member / frame that way you get the height but still halfass decent spring rate.
    the bushings don't need to be anything more than flat washers.

19. 100% Matt

100% Matt

20. Elrod

Elrod

Anything to get the rear of the car lower. I figure that's another 1/8th of an inch and that top leaf doesn't appear to do anything.

A great shock kit for Model As that is bolt on and doesn't require much work. You can buy back only I believe.

http://www.kendavismodela.com/Shocks.html

21. kirby1374

kirby1374

T spring, A spring eye bushings, A shackles. Works good. 3-4 inch drop in a fendered Tudor. So I used the second smallest leaf from an A spring, arched it a bit more to match the T spring. This adds an overload type effect and positions the spring securely in the crossmember.

22. touring20

touring20

Been in this hobby 40 years and did not know of this swap ! Thanks !

23. putt-putt

putt-putt
    from ca

You can install the t spring in the rear and remove leaves to adjust height. You need to use the top leaf from an A to center it in the rear crossmember. That solves the narrow issue and it won't move around. My dad has it on his 29 roadster.

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

thank you!

25. Elrod

Elrod

The bolt through the Model T Spring seats in the Model A cross member centering it. The tight rear crossmember to spring U bolts hold the spring firmly in place and the rear radius rods keep the axle from walking side to side.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Top leaf from the 'A' spring is capitol. Just locating the narrow (2") spring in the wide 'A' cross member (2-1/4") with the center bolt is asking a lot of the center bolt!
    They do shear...

27. sdluck

sdluck

Are you guys using a spring spreader to get the spring back in place? I am trying to change to a spring on my 29.Also what is the measurement from eye to eye of a model T spring? I need something 43 inches

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

put the main leaf on the shackles then build the spring pack using C-clamps

29. sdluck

sdluck

thanks,but not enough room under the car to do that,I tried.

30. Easiest and safest way to do it. And sd, put your spring together before sliding it back in under the car, easy as.