Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Thanks KB.
    I always dred this part I am not into sanding this much. Luckily I have an employee that is great at blocking and he is always up for a little extra work so hopefully this part will go a little faster.
    If the momma aint happy no one is happy is a motto I believe in. Being as my shop is a extra large attached garage I cant use filler or primer without pissing her off so I do it alsewhere if possible.
    Good luck on your blocking and paint prep.

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

very cool 36 coupe!

3. The bodywork is moving along nicely.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  4. ambsn

ambsn

that car was my uncle`s jack odbert and it was gold a Harry Westagard sacto.cal

5. cmarcus

cmarcus

That thing is just turning out killer. Can't wait to see the end result.

6. Thank you.
    I wish she had a pedigree like that. Unfortunatly she is home built from a botched restoration. I would love to see pictures of your uncles car.
    Thanks. I cant wait either.

7. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Great work! Glad you ended up with my set of skirts. It's the perfect car for them!

8. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

I can't wait for colour. Looking good.

9. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I thought you would be driving this by now... slacker!

Looks awesome man.

10. Urias 32

Urias 32
    from So Cal

11. choptup 49

choptup 49
    from so-cal

I happen to have a similar dream. Your work is bitchen!

12. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Just spent another freezing cold Sunday in Wisconsin reading your whole thread. worth every minute. I have not been in my shop since Dec. We had a propane shortage year, {at times up to $6.00 a gal. }and record setting freezing temps. So I have been spending weekends getting inspired by reading great stories like this. excellent work. I have chopped a lot of tops in my time and a side from a few details I would have done different only from a personal taste stand point. your chop and other fab work is excellent. Waiting to see color. And also in regards to the photo's of you sanding, It just proves what I have said since I was 28, You can't grow hair over a great mind!! LOL! no offense I am just a compulsive smart ass!! keep up the great work Larry:)

13. Thanks Heath. One skirt fit still have one to go. Pic's soon.

Thanks. Finished color will be a great day!
    Thanks, The best is yet to come.
    Thanks. She was a dream for a long time.
    Thanks Larry. With only a pot belly stove it gets a bit cold in my shop also but I cant stop moving on this one.

Thanks everyone for the coments and support.

14. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

What a stunning build. Beautiful lines. Thank you very much for sharing, inspiring and teaching.

15. Thanks for the compliments. She has been a challenging build so far.

16. I have been getting quite a bit of work done lately but bodywork is not to exciting.

[​IMG]
    The body is almost ready for first coat of filler primer. She is coming back apart so I can do a little finish welding on the firewall and paint the bottom.

[​IMG]
    Yesterday I por 15'd the inside of the fenders and etch primed the outside now they are ready for a little love.

[​IMG]
    The dash is filled primed blocked and ready for a final coat of primer. The nose and trunk lid are skimmed blocked and ready for a coat of primer.
    The goal was to finish her for LSR this year. Obviously I dident make it this year. Hopefully she will be ready to make the journey next year.
    [​IMG]

17. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Looking great. So jealous of the progress you're making in the short amount of time it's taking you. You're an animal. My favorite dash is a '40 dash, and I always cringe when someone modifies a 40 dash. Yours looks great. Can't wait to see it all put back together!

18. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, it's looking good! Welcome to the "zen" of rodding. Those aspects of restoration that are so distasteful but must be done. We must embrace these tasks with joy and enthusiasm as builders of our character. At least that's what I've been telling myself. Bullshit, we do it because don't want someone else to point out the flaws in our workmanship.
    Today with diligence I'll be able to do the final prime and 400 dry sand on my rear fenders. Then my car will finally be ready for sealer and color. It's taken since January to get to this point. These '36s fenders are the most difficult to longboard to smooth and flat spot free because of the extreme curvatures that will be right in our face. The usual sanding pads are totally inadequate for use on most of our fenders. I made my own longboards from 3/32x1" oak batten 16" long that easily bent to match the fender's contours. I've finished off the primer coats with 240 and 400 backed by 2 layers of 1 3/8x 16" formica. I was amused when I noticed the formica was vintage "boomerang" formica from the 1950s that I had torn from an old counter top. That must have been the key as to how well it works for following and smoothing the final coats. Ha! The smooth and easy bend and hard backing means the abrasive will only touch the high spots and not push down into the lows like a foam back board will. The abrasive I'm using is "Mirka" open weave net that comes by the roll from the PPG shop. It cuts like mad and clears with a sharp tap on the body. This combination really sped up the final prep to sealcoat process.
    I am feeling joy now and you should be too, as each step is getting us closer to completion, and I'm already contemplating the re-assembly procedures as I'm sure you are. The time to completion is closer than from the beginning.
    I'm asking friends now to come and put fresh eyes on mine for a critique. I've been looking at it so long that I'm sure there are thing I just don't notice now.
    I offer these comments as accolades to your progress and encouragement towards this most unpleasant aspect of the process. I hope you find them useful.
    I'm hoping to have mine ready for our summer season and a trip to Wendover/Bonneville in August. Maybe we can park them side by side @ the Nugget! I still like many aspects of your car better than my own and can't wait to see them both finished.
    As Always, Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

19. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

20. Thanks Brady. Been waiting to see your 54 on the road.
    Thanks KB. Some times homemade tools work the best. She probably wont be ready for speed week but I will definitely be there in the Pontiac if she's not. Look forward to meeting you there if you make it.
    Sounds like a plan Eric. If we could get a caravan and take a week that would be bitchen!

21. dgg-dt1948

dgg-dt1948

Updates? This is a great thread! Really enjoying the build.

22. Sorry! I have been making crazy progress lately but have been very bad at stoping for pictures.
    I am going in to the shop in a little while to spend the day working on her. I will remember the camera and post some pics tonight. Thanks for the compliments.
    Later Kipp.

23. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Awesome kip!!! You are slaying..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Waiting patiently for some updates Kipp.

25. Since my last update I finished pulling the body back apart again. Then I unbolted the body and lifted the body from the frame to do a little finish welding underneath the floor that I couldent get to with the frame in the way. After I finished welding and sanding I washed and painted the bottom with POR-15 and then let it dry for a day. After the bottom was dry I set the body on the dolly I made out of another frame and started prep on the inside. I done a little welding on the inside of the firewall then I POR-15'd the whole inside of the body.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

With the inside painted I started on the firewall. I never got to the firewall so it was time to smooth out all the holes.

[​IMG]

I filled the large hole from the hot air duct all the little ones that I don't need and then I smoothed the welds from raising the tranny tunnel.
    With the firewall ready for primer the seam on the side of the coul was bugging me sooo.
    [​IMG]
    I cleaned the seam's and then I welded them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While I filled the seam I built up the lip on the front where the top and sides meet so the gap was filled.

Then I ground and smoothed the welds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the firewall and sides prepped it's time for etch primer.

I etched the firewall now its time for a little mud and blocking.
    [​IMG]
    The chassis and engine patiently await their turn. The frame needs a couple finish welds and a little more prep to be ready for some black powder and then final assembly.
    [​IMG]

26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Very nice work.

27. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

You're a machine !!! Awesome

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. LKR

LKR
    from Australia

Amazing build. Your attention to detail and skills are top notch, pleasure to read through and see your progress.

29. orula

orula

I discovered this thread today and I read it all in one breath. Congratulations,
    in a few months you have done an excellent job.

Thank you for sharing

30. dgg-dt1948

dgg-dt1948

Really looking good!