Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 Dodge Brothers Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unit8, Nov 6, 2013.

1. unit8

unit8
    from Idaho

Great looking welds! looks like its coming together nice. Thanks for pictures

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got the trashed rear quarter and cab corner removed today so we can repair them:confused: or make replacements, the inner structure is really not in too bad a shape, actually I was suprised any of it was left on this side, but anyway here's some pics,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

3. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

kool project, using the leaning tower or power will be off the hook,,,im subscribed

4. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Fresh save and build, subscribed...

5. I just got a '26 five window DB coupe....I'll be watching your progress!

Attached Files:

6. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

very cool! I will be watching this one.

7. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Since we couldn't find any replacement parts we are having to make or repair what we have, So starting with the cab corner we needed to see if we could duplicate the belt line, I asked my buddy Huck if he had any ideas, (Huck helped me build my dragster tinwork) So he went to work makeing a wooden die to press it out with, we rolled the panel first, , kinda crude work but we are working with what tools we have, didn't come out too bad, but we are going to add a metal plate to one side of the wooden die to sharpen where the upper part of the belt line meets the panel,,,And sorry I thought I shot a pic of the results ,musta forgot , I'll get one thus when I'm back at work,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got a chance to work on the cab corner, first pic is last weeks try before changeing our beltline die or jig, added a piece of metal to sharpen the top edge , still needs work but close,, bent the door edge also , took it home for a quickie test fit,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

You guys are making great progress Tim!

10. henry roberts

henry roberts
    from australia

good stuff, I love watching guys doing their own metalwork.

11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Guys ,It would be easier if we had a bunch of metal working tools,, But what fun would that be:D:confused:,, If we get a chance today we'll start cutting and rolling pieces for the rotted quarter panel, Still have alot of fine tuning to do on the cab piece tho :eek: , hope everyone enjoys the pics I'm taking for Brady, who's a firefigther out in the mountians in Idaho,, Probally buried in snow right now:D,, Tim Jones

12. unit8

unit8
    from Idaho

Looks great for not having a bunch of metal working tools! Thanks for the update, you are making great progress. Actually we only have about 5" on the ground here, mountains have about 70 inches for a base. Every time I talk to my family in Northwest Iowa it seems like its worse and colder there than here!

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Been a long COLD couple months:mad:, Weather finally warming up , getting back to the quarter,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got the top of the quarter patched today, now just have to make the front and bottom edges on the brake at work and weld it all up, kinda nice to work with the door open:D,, Tim Jones BTW How's the weather in Idaho Brady?

Attached Files:

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Did a little test fitting of the cab corner , Still needs alot of work:eek:, But when I look back at the pics of the start I don't feel too bad:rolleyes:,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

16. unit8

unit8
    from Idaho

Looks great Tim.I never thought that quarter could be salvaged but looks like you will get it back to normal. I know Garrett had a few other jobs he's been doing this winter, has he got back to the frame yet? Yes I have heard its been a miserable few months around there. We have been getting nailed with snow this month otherwise its been a mild winter. Our temps defiantly haven't been as bad as yours.

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

It still has alot of lower panel sections that need replaced, But nothing too hard to do:confused:, mostly straight sections,Plus the floor:eek:,, Garrett said he was going to run down and pick up the front cross member this weekend , He wanted to pick it up in person incase he had any questions, plus he wants to see speedways museum:) Stay warm and dry,, Tim Jones

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got the quarter all pieced together:), Not much of the orignal quarter left, lots of welding and grinding to do, rust doesn't weld very well either :D,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

19. unit8

unit8
    from Idaho

I bet its not easy welding to that rusty stuff! Looks better each time I see it Tim keep up the good work! Is it warming up there at all?

20. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Garrett got some more work on the frame done sunday, Our buddy Huck gave us a hand getting it all lined up, the weather has broke out here so I should be able to get some more work on the body done over my weekend,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

21. luke13

luke13

try lookin up some forums on mollasses and electrolysis for rust removal. might make weldin a bit easyer.

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I have a buddy that set up a big tank and swears by the molasses, I was thinking about building one for the doors and deck lid, plus wasn't sure if the molasses freezes, being mixed with water , I figured I'd have a big frozen block of parts,, COLD winters out here in Iowa:(,, Thanks Tim Jones

23. luke13

luke13

yeah chipping your parts out of frozen mollasses would be no fun,

24. I dunno how I missed this thread.love the photo of you [Tim] and Huck working together just like old times...looks like Bob has the handle in his hands.
    Those old Dodges are a little bigger and a little more stylish than the fords ...sorry Bob and Beth. I bought a 25 {I think} coupe from a guy in Wisconsin but he welched on the deal...finally sent my money back but I really wanted the car.
    I have tomorrow to myself...love to come up and visit.

Attached Files:

25. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Stop up any time Rocky:), After takeing a better look at the panel below the deck lid , we decided it would be easier to just make a new one, So after I get the old one off We'll roll another one should be alot easier than the quarter:D, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

26. You guys are coming right along! Props to you for all the work to bring a neat old car back! I have been working on my '26 five-window coupe, trying to get it on the road, but nothing like you guys are doing. Great thread! :D

27. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Here is a 26 Dodge under the deck, not very good. Also the back of a 27 Dodge

Attached Files:

• 516.jpg
      516.jpg
      File size:
      391.3 KB
      Views:
    • 069.JPG
      069.JPG
      File size:
      222.9 KB
      Views:
  28. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Found a better picture of the 26 Dodge, that my Son and I did a few years ago.

Attached Files:

29. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the pics George, Still working on the tail of the car, After getting into it I relized there a slight concave at the center, I'll post some pics when it's a little closer,,Deck lid is junk also so were making another lid for it,,,,,, Tim Jones

30. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Haven't posted anything for awhile Still trying to save this body, the more I work on it the more swiss cheese Panels I find, first off , I was never happy with the replacement cab corner , never could get the belt line right,,, so I took it off and got the old one out and added a large patch instead I like it much better now and so does Brady, have the lower tail section cut and fitted just need to weld it together, today Icut out and bent up the new deck lid , still have to bend the curves into it , but here's some pics ,,Tim Jones Hmm? Can't get pics to load, I'll send them to Brady and have him load them