Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1950's period correct hot rods.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldebob, Dec 27, 2009.

1. James6speed

James6speed

My father built this chopped and channeled A coupe. These photos were taken right after a fire in 1958. He then rebuilt the car ditched the motor, installed a 283, 2 four's, 4 spd, 13.1 to 1 pistons, gears etc. Painted it a wicked green color with the same flame pattern. Car ran 13.0's first time at the track in 1960.

I remember going to a swap meet back in the early 80's with my father and he spotted the cab sitting on the ground for sale and said, "Hey that's my old car, I painted that". The paint was well worn but still identifiable as you could remember. The cab probably went on to another vehicle... probably on here in some form or another.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EVL401 and AHotRod like this.
  2. Great (sad) pics James! I absolutely LOVE those flames! Any images of the car before the fire or after the rebuild?

-Dave

3. James6speed

James6speed

Unfortunately no. The motor blew up shortly after the rebuild and the my father doesn't recall where it went after that other than a friend who parted it out. Just digging through old pics, and he said those are the only two he had. Love the exhaust pipe coming up through the body. He said it was his first paint job/flames on this car. Thanks for looking.

4. Said to have been built in 1953 , then stored since 1959.

Attached Files:

5. Squablow

Squablow

That's cool, very sports-car looking. If the story is true, that would have been a very high-end hot rod for it's time.

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Eric has that car, It's in MadFab 6...which you can get STREAMING ON DEMAND now! www.madfabricators.com :D:D

7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Apologies if these have been posted in here, I don't recall seeing them but I haven't been on here in ages so maybe I missed them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. swifty

swifty

Ooooh I like that ^^^^^ but then I do have a love affair with 32-5 windows and I don't think I have ever seen it before so thanks for posting Old-Soul. Any info on running gear, history etc.

9. 296ardun

296ardun

On EBay now, story is that is was raced w/o fenders with a flathead at El Mirage in 1950, then bought by a new owner and fitted with fenders and a 324 Olds...

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

That is where I yanked the photos from :p

11. Thanks for the link , I had not heard of the Mad Fabricators Society before.
    I don't know Eric , I just saw the car in my friends yard the other day and took the pics. It's very cool , stunning patina too :)

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

No shit? I thought he brought that thing to Hawaii! It's a bitchin car for sure! I hope it stays in that shape!! Here's some more reading..

http://scootermcrad.blogspot.com/2010/10/erik-warners-survivor-roadster.html?m=1

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Hawaii eh , must have been on route , it's in New Zealand now , :) Spent some time at Muscle Car Madness this last weekend , http://www.musclecarmadness.co.nz/ lots of people would have loved it , I am sure.

14. Must be an area thing. Where I grew up there was plenty of primer with no intention of ever shiny painting it, including my '51 shoe box(Ford). Much more important to us "poor", drive it to school and work kids, was duals, white walls(real or porta walls), red painted wheels or baby moons, Olds fiestas, moon discs and something hanging from you mirror(tassle from graduation, if, in fact you did graduate, Am radio that worked, and after saving for months, a tach. When it got too rusty ya junked it after removing all the "custom accessories". This was way up north in the mid-west.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  15. RobErnst

RobErnst

Even a period correct hotty in a period correct bathing suit with period correct hair = AWESOME and BITCHIN'

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App and a big box of purple crayons suitably made before 1964 so as to NOT be OT!

16. Maybe it's just an old photo and the period correct hottie is period correct because she was living during that time period? ;):D

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I bet the car looks better than she does now.:(

18. austinhunt

austinhunt

19. Nobey

Nobey

That purple 32 5 window was built by Alden Calkins' and was featured in Rods Illustrated
    August 1959.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  20. Here ya go..... Probably would have fit into the 60's thread by the time it looked like this, but what the hey.;)
    IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

21. Period correct girl and 3w. Photo from one of the early 50s Motorama's @ the Pan Pacific Auditorium.

[​IMG]

EVL401, Stogy, hotrd32 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Travers/Larsen '29 roadster.
    [​IMG]

Unidentified T roadster
    [​IMG]

EVL401, Stogy and hotrd32 like this.
  23. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

24. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Always loved the Frank Mack roadster!

25. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Just found this great thread and it was neat to see one of my old pictures already posted. Here's some more. These cars were all "Push Rods" cars from Tecumseh Ontario Canada.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Most of these have been posted before but thought you might like another look.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    hotrd32 likes this.
  26. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Another "Push Rods" car that was later sold to an "ElDragos" member: [​IMG]

Some El Dragos pictures: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]