Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Sheetmetal Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Hey Model A people, I'm looking for a source to get a sheet metal panel for my 1930 Model A Coupe. The panel I just can't seem to find is located above the trunk and below the rear window. Mine had a couple of inches of filler. I don't want to sculpt a new one. It would be easy enough to fab, however, there are some body curves that are on the edges, and my skills aren't up to it.

Does anyone know what to call that panel, and if it is reproduced. I can find darn near every other, but can't seem to locate that one. Thanks for your help!

image.jpg image.jpg

2. GaryC.

GaryC.

3. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

I've looked. can't find it.

4. On a roadster that is called the daisy panel.

5. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

I don't think you will find anyone selling a replacemnet because on the A Coupe it is not a seperate panel (it is part of the rear window panel).

I did a pretty good hunt for one as I wanted to replace mine but in the end I couldn't find antone that made them so I repaired what I had.

If you have some luck in finding a repop please post up the details.

Cheers

6. captmullette

captmullette

try mike's A fordable in Maysville ga, don't have the # easy google find

7. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

What you have looks soild form the pictures. Can you tap it into shape?

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Looks solid, but who knows whats hiding under that paint and bondo? (unless I'm seeing it wrong and that is infact bare metal)

Did you try Howell? If they don't have it advertised I would call them anyways. They could probably help you out.

9. You could maybe try Bert's Model A Ford in Colorado. They might have an original section they could sell you. Or possibly Brookville might be able to help.

10. I'd stay away from them, they got some bad juju goin on! many threads on them here, do a search.

11. jaysberman

jaysberman

Would Brookvile be any help?

12. Already stated. It might be a special custom order through them since it wouldn't be something they would carry in their line, so cost might be accordingly subject.

13. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Yea I know what you mean. It looked like it bare to me? Now that I look at it again, don't know?

14. To me it looks like black over some very rough bodywork. Had to blow up the pics and look at the light reflections to be sure though. The panel he's talking about might be swiss cheese under the mudwork. These also might be pre-work pics and the car has been since stripped to bare metal.

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I must be a lucky guy then. I have not had a single issue with Howell. Very helpful over the phone and quality parts arrived on time

16. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I saw one for sale last week in classifieds

17. flthd31

flthd31

I had a similar problem. The rear panel I had to use was missing that section on both sides (no wonder I got it so cheap!)
    It's not reproduced, you'll have to repair it or replace it with a donor piece.
    It's a tough repair as the flange below it bolts to the quarter panel and the rain gutter is attached to it.
    As already mentioned, on the A Coupe it is not a seperate panel (it is part of the rear window panel).
    I was able to get a section from a FordBarn guy. It was from a coupster (roof cut off). but it wasn't high enough to fill the void. I fabbed up the top little piece and it all cleaned up pretty good.
    I would put a "want add" in here and fordbarn...you might get lucky.

Attached Files:

18. banginona40

banginona40

Don't give up on Howell, they took care of me just fine.

19. alchemy

alchemy

It's called a tulip panel, not a daisy panel. Nobody makes it for a coupe, but a roadster should have a lot of the shape you need at the back edge. Get one for a roadster and weld it into your coupe's beltline. Call Brookville for the best roadster panel.

20. Haha! at least he knew it was named after a flower!!:p

21. flthd31

flthd31

I looked into the roadster panels from Brookville. They call it the "Above the Deck Lid Panel".
    You won't be welding it to the beltline without sectioning a couple of inches out of it It's much wider that a coupe. Plus the body line is down on the panel rather than up on the window panel.
    It's 240.00 for that panel and I think it would be a last resort.
    Yours doesn't look that bad. It would probably be best to remove it from the car and fab up some pieces.

Attached Files:

22. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Thanks to all those who replied. I'll try my hand and if I butcher it, I'll give brookeville a call.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

View attachment 2749166 View attachment 2749167 View attachment 2749169
    Hey did you ever get this taken care of? Id strip it down and see exactly what you need to replace. Then Id call Metal Twister at his shop in San Diego and have him build you one? Give me a call man... I was just looking over mine and it doesn't look like it would be that hard to build one for ya. Bet I can build you what you need! We do way more than just seats....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

1930, 31 coupe, sport coupe have a REAR WINDOW PANEL/ ABOVE DECKLID PANEL that can repair your coupe... rock on !

25. 58Darlene

58Darlene

Check with Cornfield Customs, I reckon he could whip one up for you. Dude is incredible with his metal shaping.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flop as well. Perhaps Hemmings or some of the fellows posting on the Sitting and Rotting thread have stuff for sale as well.
    Member TLDLTD seems to perhaps be collecting and selling from Manitoba. I believe there is lots of good Canadian tin still available. Good luck in the search you are at the right place.