Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. nice Lancer....and welcome to the 55/56 thread...

2. senone

senone
    from Belgium

Thank you!

3. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

Finally got a heart beat in my 56 plymouth yesterday :) damn its been awhile and a cold winter but the 318 sounded awesome with the open headers....still have to mess with the edelbrock carb yet a bit more...but summer cruisin here we come!!!!

4. vince89

vince89

wow that fury is one of my dream cars. i liked christine but this one is way cooler. and more sporty

5. montanabill

montanabill

Hi All,
    Extremely neat site. I had a V-8 Overdrive '55 Plaza Club Sedan in high school and have spent several years trying to find another one. Guess I'm trying to recapture my youth. Anyway I scored this nice little Belvedere a while back. Nice complete car, but I am searching for a donor to replace the little flathead 6 and PowerFlite tranny. I'm thinking 340 or 360. Heard too many stories about trying to shoehorn in a Big Block with running electric fans on the front of the radiator and cutting out transmission humps, and moving steering boxes. Have found a 2003 Dakota RT with a Magnum 360, heavy duty 4 speed automatic and disc brakes all around. Got a beefy posi rear end too. I might have struck gold for lots of great donor parts for the '55. I'm posting a picture from 50 years ago of me and my high school '55 and a couple of my new ride.
    Again, great site and I'll be spouting off every now and then. :)

Attached Files:

6. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Montanabill---Nice score on the 55 Belvedere. Also nice ride in high school. The LA series motors are not too bad to swqap in to your 55. I am running a 340 in my 55 Belevedere Suburban with a 727 auto and 8 3/4 rear. If you decide to go that route, pm me and I will give you some more details on my swap.

Attached Files:

7. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

8. MisterSavoy

MisterSavoy
    from USA

I just posted this in the community board but doesn't seem as if it is that active anymore??

I just acquired my first Plymouth due to a trade with a friend of mine. I have been slowly learning as much as I can about these car but there still ALOT for me to take in..

Secondly, please excuse me if I am asking this in the wrong place. I have a '55 plymouth (six cylinder ) savoy with a 3 speed manual transmission in it but I am unsure what model number the transmission would be. I am in the process of a swap since the original motor is kaput and I would love to keep the original transmission.

I was just unsure if the Quick Time Bell Housing (http://quicktimebellhousings.carshop...135453/RM-6072) would allow me to use the original trans with the 318 I have.

Again I apologize if I am asking it in the wrong place!

Thanks!

9. George

George

I believe the flat 6 & 318s have different bells, plus you didn't say what year 318. Those from '62 & up are different bell pattern than the Hemi & poly V8s '61 & earlier.

10. Old Ray

Old Ray

Swapping motors and transmissions at the best of times can be tricky; swapping them with mother Chrysler is downright complicated,...... a couple of years reading night and day and you should have it aced. ;)

What’s with the love for the three speed, not much fun in city traffic, it would a lot easier to install an engine and trans as a matched unit. :)<O:p</O:p

11. t2dfyre

t2dfyre

Hello All,

Could my back up switch mounted on my powerflite transmission be bad if the reverse lights stay on while the car is at idle in neutral? 1956 Dodge Sedan. Thank you!

Attached Files:

12. Slowly picking away at a no dollar radical kustom 56 Custom Royal. Could not find a suitable RH front fender so I am fixing what I have with what's available.. I had a nice set of 53 Buick Fenders from an old project I had abandoned from 25 years earlier.. Here is a first shot of the fender as shaping up.. Second shot is when we decided a roadster would be cool way to make a more door fun..p image.jpg
    image.jpg

13. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

I saw a '56 Plymouth in a salvage yard a few days ago. It had the grill and bumper in good shape. I think it was a two door sedan. My grandparents once had one of these cars.

14. gatz

gatz

might be just an adjustment needed to align the switch with the shift lever

15. Chris - looking good there with the progress !

Chris Stapley likes this.
  16. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

The answer is yes. The stuff is the same.

17. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

What engine are you running. I'm running a poly 318 with the later timing case cover do the water pump exits on the drivers side and I'm running a 66 Dart small block radiator that I got from ebay. I think it's a champion brand. Seems to cool my car just fine. I'm running an electric fan though as I didn't have enough room for the regular fan.

18. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

Not sure what side your water pump exits on, but. I'm running a poly 318 with the later LA 318 timing case cover so the water pump exits on the drivers side and I'm running a 66 Dart small block radiator that I got from ebay. I think it's a champion brand. Seems to cool my car just fine. I'm running an electric fan though as I didn't have enough room for the regular fan.

19. t-rod

t-rod

The engine is from a late 70's-early 80's truck, pass side water pump. I didn't know there were different outlets until I started researching radiators. I've been a Chevy guy for years so I'm accustomed to easy interchanges, this Chrysler stuff has been an education. I don't yet have the car here but in a month we're moving and the new place has a HUGE garage. I'll bring her home then and have a better idea what to do. Thank you for the pointer, I can look for a radiator with similar dimensions.

20. porky55

porky55

Has anyone every seen a 55 dodge with the desoto diplomat front end? I really like how they look and most of it is standard Plymouth parts. 1403295853611.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

SintownKing likes this.
  21. yes....looking at the one above - it looks like a stock 55 Desota grille.....the second grill choice of customizmer's....think the 1954 Desota grille is # 1 choice.....correct me guys if I'm wrong on the year's....

22. porky55

porky55

Yeah it looks like a 55 desoto grill. I know guys like the 52 a lot for customs as well. I would like to see if that front end has made it onto a dodge but I can't find anything.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. daddylama

daddylama

sold this to a HAMBer in Texas about 11ish years ago... another HAMBer or two has owned it since, kinda miss it (not those ass ugly wheels, though). i'd love to know what happened to the thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SintownKing likes this.
  24. Old Ray

Old Ray

I think old cars are kind of like old girlfriends that we have had, the good memories stay and the bad ones fade. :)
    But this old gray hair thinks that rather than looking for either one,………. just build a new one!

daddylama likes this.
  25. daddylama

daddylama

funny... i think most of the memories i have of old girlfriends are the bad ones :)

think i do want to build a new '55. now just for a reasonably rust free '55 two door post that mysteriously finds its way into my driveway...

26. 35desoto

35desoto

That looks like an export model 55 Desoto which was based on a 55 Plymouth frame and body with a unique Desoto front and Desoto badging. The grilles are not the same as a US domestic Desoto -note the grille has 11 teeth where the US one will have either 7 or 9 teeth. If the back has 55 Plymouth taillights and the dash is Plymouth its definitely an export model called a Diplomat - For a Mopar they were sort of common down here in New Zealand and Australia. They all had a firewall badge saying they were export models from Detroit.

27. porky55

porky55

Hey 35desoto, thanks. Yeah its a Plymouth with a different grill. I would try to find a diplomat grill but if a regular desoto grill fits I might do that. They would be easier to find.

Sent from my MB886 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. 35desoto

35desoto

SOME of the parts off a American Desoto will fit and some are unique to the Plymouth based export model. The bezel around the headlight is Plymouth, the parking light is Desoto and the stainless frame the teeth sit on and the teeth are unique I think yet your Teeth seem to have a dimple in the leading edge which our ones did not have. Yours looks to be complete so why change? The only pieces I can see missing are the chrome ones that go along the leading edge of the bonnet and they are Plymouth. Good cars in their day and fine cruisers now

29. Old Ray

Old Ray

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=53300&posts=1#M446062
    Not mine, listing for nice project 55 dodge 2 door HT, Texas, on the forward look site, it has a kijiji link in the post, if this link does not work I can get the other link for you. This should be sent as a PM but being old I cannot find the button on the new site and the shop is calling.:)

30. Kustom Kulture LI

Kustom Kulture LI
    from Amityville

Do you have any pics of this roll pan being made? My wagon is all rusted out by the hinges and I really want to ditch the rear bumper.
    Also a little off topic but I need to replace the body mounts. does any one have any input on the subject? IE: Can I use universal mounts? What brand is recommended? Is there a source for stock ones? Any pointers are appreciated.

Attached Files: