Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. saxxon your the better man for taking that aproach. on dons car its built like the funny cars from 66. that would be a straight axle,fiberglass body,tilt front end,opening drivers door etc. it runs a blown hemi. due to the future plans on putting this car on the track updates were done for safety. legendary chassis builder dennis rolain from r+b chassis fame has performed some of the work on this car. don did not want to recreate the car exact. he wanted to do his own thing with it while staying true to the way they would have appeared at that time. the paint is stunning with webbing and lace. the chrome is over the top. cars from the era similiar to this would include arnies 66 gto bruce larsons 66 chevelle and 67 camaro. i do have the video with this car running four wide at byron. there was also a pic on the last page of the old super stock mag around 1995 shot at byron. dons car is not the chapman automotive otta site car that was out of the chicago area.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hey Scott I hope you wernt putting me in that high quality individuals group. If so give me a heads up so I can work on my standards.

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hey Man!
    Don't get the impression that I'm trying to pressure anyone to be an upstanding member of society or anything.....
    ....Cause I'm just about the biggest redneck ,hillbilly ,lowbrow mammy rammer you're gonna meet at the Meltdown!:D

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

You're a hell of a man doing a hell of a job Davey!

Can't wait to tilt a few with you,Ric&Marc,and about 2 dozen other high quality individuals who will be in attendance.:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App![/QUOTE]

I second that!

5. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Quote:(high quality individuals)

Did someone knock, hello, hellooooo

You can mess with the mans willys, but DONT mess with that vette.......

Hi everyone!!!

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

Vette....?Huh?

What am I missing here Johnny...?

Scott

7. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Quains pro-mod.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Oooooooh....!!!

I gotcha now!
    In reference to mister Internet hero....

I can't do two things at once man....I'm boldly leading the way to set an important new trend:

I call it "MonoTasking" :)

It's when you can't do two things at once,so you either walk,or chew the gum......but you do it like an effin' rock star!:D

Scott

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Here's one for the Meltdown comittee,or anybody who's been through tech with a similar setup:

I'm running M/T ET Streets on the grocery getter.Do I need to run open-ended lug nuts on it like you would with slicks,or am I going to be ok with stock wheel studs and chrome lug nuts?

Ordering my radiator catch can,and a few other items soon,so I might as well get em now if I need em.

Thanks guys.

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

10. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I would order them. We have always treated them like slicks...they work just as well.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

11. What wheels are you running? Stock studs are OK with steel wheels, but usually aren't long enough to reach the hex portion of the lug nut with alloy wheels.

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

I've got 15x8" steel wheels on it now,but I was thinking of putting 15x7" Torq thrusts on the back just so it looks a little ritzy-er.....

I will talk to my guy and get the parts ordered.

Thanks guys.

Scott

13. I think the Americans might use seated style lug nuts, especially on a 4 1/2 pattern? If so, you may be able use the ones from the steelies.?

Scott, my wife thinks all men are monotaskers, that we're born/made that way. She says men have compartmental brains, thats why we "can only do one thing at a time"! I wish I knew who the dude was that got all the female shrinks believeing/saying that, I'd send him a thank you card and a bottle of 100 year old Scotch! Ok, ssshhhh everyone, remember, "man law" on this one! Don't let the ladies find this one out, OR WE'RE ALL SCREWED!

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA........!!!!!!!

Ric,I laughed so hard at that I peed a little!!!:D

Also,you're right about the lugnuts,the Americans now use acorn style nuts....
    But what's the rule again...?Amount of stud protruding from nut must equal or exceed diameter of stud?

Scott

15. speedwise

speedwise

White Noise just got injected! (Hilborn that is...with EFI). Also added the front Moon Tank. Kip's crazy build just got crazier if that's possible. The darn thing looks like it drove off the pages "Drag Strip" magazine in '65.

Attached Files:

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The rule books reads that the stud needs to stick out past the wheel at least as far as the diameter of the stud the stud does not have to stick out of the lug nut.

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ok.Thanks Man.I knew it was something like that,but it's been a few years since I've even owned an NHRA rule book.

Scott

18. Not sure today, it actually use to say that the stud could not be RECESSED into the nut any more than the diameter of the stud. Years ago, I had a 64 Olds Cutlass convertible, that ran 13.20's/104 at high altitude LACR, and 12.8O's/108 at Bakersfield. I had open ended shank style lug nuts that went through the wheel and had a good "bite" on the stud, but the stud was recessed in about 3/8 on a 7/16 stud. One Saturday at LACR, a new "rent-a-tech gave me crap about it. I got some short lengths of fine thread 7/16 "all thread", and loctited them in the ends of the lug nuts! The next Saturday the same tech was waiting for me, an went right to the studs to make sure I had installed new longer studs. He said, "its a good thing you changed those, cause I was gonna send you home"! I reminded him what a sharp tech he was and how id never attempt to pull one over on him! I sold the car that way.

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's hilarious......He sure showed you!lol! ;)

Those Olds sure make a mountain of torque,don't they?:)

If he ever saw Freiburgers hose clamp trans mount he would have shit himself!:D

Scott

20. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Looking good Brad. I'm glad it's in the hands of someone who likes it.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

21. the white noise car is bad ass. i also just completed the change over to efi hilborn but mine is a four port upright 4 inch tall. i like the look of the tank in the grille. i don't have a rule book in front of me but i ran into big problems with a tech guy over the tank in the grille. we were booked in for a match race against the jayhawker awb ply. the track was quaker state. the jay hawker had a phony tank in the grille and a poly real tank behind it. we went around and around over this for over a hour. the tech guy was saying the tank needed to be protected in case of a front end collision. we had the promotor and track owner involved. it took a while but they finally let us run. i had a similar situation at atco nj. with my car. i had made a bar go around my tank between the back side of the grille and the front of the tank. when i pointed it out that it was protected i was ok. like i said i like the look but it may bring you trouble. if the tank is the real tank with fuel in it then it may not be the safest thing. a real tank tucked inside the frame rail may be the way to go. skin grafts are painful.

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ric that's funny shit.

23. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

What did she run last year, and what are you hoping for this year?

24. Saxxon

Saxxon

White noise rules with the new stacks

Go make some noise son !!

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ok the 4.10 are on the spool and ready to go back in the whale.

Attached Files:

27. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Dang, those injector stacks look cool. They really make the look of your Chevy II.

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

29. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Stacks on the white noise look kickass...........Im sure the efi works well but Im just a mechenical freak.
    Those stacks are the bomb.........................

30. powrshftr

powrshftr

Speedwise:
    That is a perfect finishing touch for an already amazing car.
    You're right,it looks like it just drove off the pages of a magazine from '65!

I can think of anything more perfect for that car.Nice job!

Also,good luck finding traction for that big injected Rat!It looks like the fun factor just doubled for that car!:)

Scott