Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 Cadillac. Daphne

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vince89, Mar 27, 2014.

1. vince89

vince89

wel lets start at the beginning. i started a new life a few years back. and around that time i fell in love with Daphne a 1958 Cadillac sedan deville.
    i found her standing in the rain. i knew there and then she was mine.
    she didnt run drive or brake. but she was bulletproof no rust
    just the driverside floor and a small hole in her fender it was a big surprise.
    well i bought her that day two week later i got her home and got her inside
    so she was finally safe and dry. the biggest problem was i didnt have a drivers licence. wich in this country is a bitch. it takes 45 hour with a driving instructor. learning to drive then a test 50 questions cant have but 4 wrong answers and then a driving exam with a examinator so that takes atleast 6 months. one of the many many reassons i hate this country badly
    but i had a sweet car that inspired me. so i got it done. and wel allot of work put in the 58 and know i got here lincenced and roadworthy.
    still working on her little by little. she is very stubborn most of the time. but she is worth is she,s my girl. and her paintjob stays Original.
    the 1958 Cadillac was the only car ever to be painted in Daphne blue.
    fender used it on there guitars in the 60s. but no car has ever. and she has earned her scars trough the years it gives character and i love it. her drivetrain wil be rebuild to new standards. or upgraded. i already put in electronic ignition big step forwards. a rebuild waterpump. and put on a 1960s carter carb instead of the Rochester wich im gonna rebuild and shelf it. i did the brakes front to back new shoes new cilinders and 2 rebuild cilinders. new brake lines. and a rebuild booster. gonna build a new booster setup for front discbrakes and to eliminate the booster its a one off and a bad design in that year. i did the floor with new usa sheet metal took some work to fit it but better quality then that asian black metal. im gonna do the interior myselfs gonna take upholstery classes in september. its gonna be baby blue with white and perfect new condition. so drivetrain like new and interior like new. wheels and tires new. stainless spokes 15 inch and fat whitewalls like it should be ;). and the exterior Original beautifull as she is. but im not close yet working one thing at a time im gonna post the picture of my progress and i hope you like it. they dont really get it in this country but thats me im a american born in the wrong country. and i do it the way i like it dont care what they think. i got my own style and love it.
    how it should be. my english is flawless but not in writing so bare with me.
    glad to be here and enjoy.:cool:

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. vince89

vince89

then i got her home finally. and pushed her inside.
    big heavy girl thats for sure. ;):D

Attached Files:

3. vince89

vince89

well i started polishing the chrome 2 days straight.
    as you can see the brake booster had seen better days

Attached Files:

4. vince89

vince89

started with the interior the dash was bady torn and the foam was powderd
    so i took it of completely. sanded it and pot owatrol on it great stuff.

Attached Files:

5. Nice and good luck with the build :)

6. vince89

vince89

the owatrol made it nice shiny and clean. i pulled the interior to fix the floor
    the benches needed some love to i put them back together with some tape.
    i know its not great but i love the details on the seats i would hate to cover those up with a seat cover or a blanket. i bought some cheap carpet from the parts and pieces bin. it works for now. i fixed the hole in the floor.

Attached Files:

7. vince89

vince89

when i was doing it anyway. lets do it right i sanded it from front to back
    i had the paint specially mixed for the right color Daphne blue. it was clear
    the outside was faded a bit in the California Sunshine.

Attached Files:

8. vince89

vince89

put on your sun glasses people. i was looking at it when a cloud moved away and the sun hit it i was blind for 3 days :D:rolleyes: (i excedurate for effect)

Attached Files:

9. rockfish

rockfish

Congratulations on finding the car of your dreams. I'm sure rebuilding a vintage American car in the Netherlands must be a challenge. Really shows your dedication. Nothing screams classic American likes a 50's Caddy. Enjoy.

10. vince89

vince89

thanks. cars come and go i have 5 around but the caddy wil stay. gonna build something fast on the side. the Cadillac is a great cruiser but i think if i ever get the chance i wil buy and build a 1950 ford convertible. but your right in this country its crazy expensive and with the stupid rules over here and the extreme gas prices its not easy but hey if you want to live the american dream you gotta fight for it.

11. vince89

vince89

thank you. i go driving on the Sunny days thats very inpiring to keep up the work and progress. there is nothing better then driving towards the sunset in a 1950s car with good music on and an arm out the window cruising.

12. I cannot wait to do that with my Buick, but my voltage reg stuck and burnt the wiring. I have to fix all that fun stuff.

13. vince89

vince89

wel if its stil 6 volt you can go to 12 volts an upgrade some stuf

14. It was 12. Now I will update it to a alternator.

15. 1941coupe

1941coupe

my friends dad had a brand new one and that sucker would cruise at 85 mph ,very smooth riding car,best of luck

16. Neat car. When I was a kid a lady in our small town ordered a black one new. When she got it had an irritating rattle that no one could figure out. Finally the dealership took the door panels off and found the rattle. There was an empty beer bottle laying on the bottom of the door with a note: "Here's your Caddy you rich ass bitch!" :D

17. Wow...lol I would have kept the bottle with the car :D

18. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

That floor work is beautiful!

Hell, The whole car is beautiful.

19. vince89

vince89

thank you it was worth the work. and it was sad to put carpet over it
    but hey thats progress;)

20. vince89

vince89

wel here is the interior back in it with the new carpet. and some ductape upgrades.
    i put in electronic ignition fro petronix works amazingly great those points where horrible to adjust kept going of. and some pics from my office. Daphne sits right beside me

Attached Files:

21. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cool Caddy! Great you are saving her!

22. vince89

vince89

she saved me i saved her. :D:rolleyes:
    and its nice to see someone from this side of the pond

23. vince89

vince89

wel i did the brakes that was a strugle especialy getting to the brakebooster it wasnt a pretty sight for weeks walking into my workplace.
    i did some work on the joints i was there anyway.

Attached Files:

24. talk about nice ..

loving the dash layout

25. vince89

vince89

thanks. and i like the dash to. its a straight and simple design

26. vince89

vince89

i put on new taillights. fixed the hinge from the hidden gas filler door.
    and put on a rebuild waterpump painted it and painted the oilfilter bucket.
    i parted out a 429 Cadillac saved the drivetrain for myself.
    was thinking about it to build it in the 58 but didnt want to cut it up
    to make it fit. maybe gonna build a 390 and put that in it that wil fit perfectly. maybe in the future

Attached Files:

27. Another American beauty on the Dutch roads.
    Enjoy it.

Hennie

28. vince89

vince89

they keep trying to stop us but we dont give up hennie.
    and thanks maybe ill see you on a meeting somewhere.

29. That's true but we are still burning gas :D
    Maybe see you somewhere around, Hennie

30. heinz51

heinz51