Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bud Bryan Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrod_willie, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Robert (Bob) Jones

Robert (Bob) Jones

Hello, Bob Jones here, a new-B... I’ve seen some discussion in this forum regarding the Bud Bryan roadster and thought I’d weigh in... I was the fella that purchased the roadster from Bud Bryan a number of years after his accident. I managed, with some help, to bring the roadster back to what it once was.

If you’d like more information on the roadster whilst in my possession I’d be glad to share it with you...

Best Regards...
    Bob Jones

26hotrod likes this.
  2. mcbay

mcbay

Thanks Bob.....lets have the story...

26hotrod likes this.
  3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

26hotrod likes this.
  4. 2002p51

2002p51

Here's a photo I shot of the car at the 1973 L.A. Roadster show:

[​IMG]

5. fortynut

fortynut

Karma is like 'the event' described in theoretical physics. An observer (making a comment) alters the outcome. The Bible wisely tells us not to judge others, lest we be judged. Therefore what Bud did is on him. Now that an observer has formed an opinion based on his own personal biases and prejudices, then passed that judgement on, and I have read it; it forever colors how I view Bud, and becomes part of my karma. I would much rather know about his highboy on Deuce rails with a flathead that is an iconic hot rod and not dwell on character issues dredged up by someone with an axe to grind. Others might take heed. A side note: Until this thread, I had never seen images of his current roadster and am impressed. I remember reading the R&C article about him, where the writer interviewing Bud had caused him to think about building another roadster. It's good to find out he has, and that it's a pickup. It looks kind of rangy, though. Maybe he should borrow Jim Jacobs paint brush.

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I worked with Bud, Tim and Dick to set up the 72 Detroit NSRA nationals. All were very good people to work with. I was building a 32 roadster at the time and Bud helped me with my thinking about flathead powered cars. Here are some more photos of his roadster which Julian takes very good care of.

Attached Files:

7. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

Love the stance.

Never did like a tail dragging hot rod. JMO, Much prefer to see the wheel/tire combo follow the body fender feature line.

Jack

26hotrod likes this.
  8. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I used the article to set up my 27 hiboy with a V8 halibrand rear end. The articles served me well.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I dare anyone who was alive and part of traditional hot rodding back when this car was first built to deny that it's construction didn't have a profound impact on how you've viewed the hobby/obsession since. I've been around (started my first car in 1956 at 12 years old) and have observed all of the phases this thing has gone through since. This car has lurked in the background of my thinking all of these years and this thread has let me focus on how many times I've thought about it and the influence it's made in my hot rod preferences.

Frank

26hotrod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Robert (Bob) Jones

Robert (Bob) Jones

Hello again,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place!

Not familiar with forums. Have’n a heck of a time negotiating it.

I lived in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa from 1956 until 2008... I graduated from Harbor High School in 1961... I had owned several business over the course of that time and owned more street / hot rods than I’ve got fingers and toes.

Anyway, if memory serves me, I purchased the 29 A V8 roadster in 1976... I’m sure there were many street rodders that had heard of the 29 A V8 roadster disaster, I happened to be one of them.

A number of years had passed and of course, to me, the 29 A V8 had been forgotten... Until one day during a conversation with a close friend, Pete Koch, Bud’s roadster came up and one thing led to another. I managed to get together with Bud to see the roadster, needless to say it was a sight... Major damage to the left rear quarter, right front axle bent (guess) a good thirty degrees, the Jim Babbs radiator snap’d just about in half the radiator shell... Trash!

It’s been so long ago, but I believe Bud had mixed emotions about selling the roadster. I know it had to be a tough sell for him having put his heart and soul into the build... If there was any saving grace for Bud, I believe it was the 1938 Buick he was finishing up as a family ride.

As I remember there was no price grinding on my behalf, I was absolutely willing to pay whatever Bud was asking... Along with the purchase of the roadster Bud threw in a 28 / 29 roadster rear section / clip, I definitely needed that to repair the body damage.

Upon arriving at the shop Pete and I commenced stripping away what was needed... Grill shell, radiator, front suspension, engine, etc. etc... Knowing the popularity and value of the roadster I wanted the repair done in the best possible manner. So Pete made arrangements with a very talented metal fabricator, Ky Young, to repair the rear section and needless to say when it was finished it was flawless...
    Unfortunately time had taken its toll on the flat head. The years the roadster had sat idle and the flathead not being pickled, most everything internal had seized. The pistons literally had to be beat out of the block... Again I felt the same as I did with the body, I had to have it rebuilt by one of the best. A good friend, the late Tony Alvarez, cousin of Julian Alvarez, was a local machinist and had rebuilt many flat heads over the years including his families flathead powered altered. At any rate Tony performed his magic and managed to breath life back into the flatie.

I sent the dropped axle up to Mor-Drop to be straightened and believe this or not... It came back as if it were new. What was amazing to me, the chrome had not been damaged... Go figure!

I cannot recall for sure, however I do believe Jim Babbs rebuilt the radiator...

The paint work I did. I was fortunate enough to find a quart and a half of “Nason’s either Pitch Black or Imperial Black nitrocellulose lacquer”. Lucky!

I had taken some photos of the roadster going back together but for the life of me can not find them. Lord only knows where they are after our move to Georgia. If I come across them I’ll certainly post them.

So much more to tell... Will continue later... Any questions please feel free to ask...

Regards... Bob

26hotrod, Stogy, Atwater Mike and 4 others like this.
  11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Bob, thanks for the history of the roadster after the accident. I used to work in south GA and Brunswick was one of my stops. I will always remember the pulp wood smell while in town. I see the roadster from time to time at the Outriders picnic and it always draws me to my days with GM in Detroit. The car will always be one of my favorite.

26hotrod likes this.
  12. Robert (Bob) Jones

Robert (Bob) Jones

I speak with Julian on occassion, he still owns the roadster.

I didn't mention, In one of the Hot Rod magazines, there is a photo of me, my son and ex-wife motoring down the track at OCIR "Orange County International Raceway" some vintage event, I believe it was in 1977... Anyway, I don't believe there are many folks that know how the roadster made it back to the streets... Glad you now know how it was done...

BTW... That's the only thing about Brunswick that annoyes us... When the wind blows out of the North East we'll get that terrible odor from Georgia Pacific...

P.S. if you get the opportunity give me a call... I still have an Orange County telephone number... (949) 205-9451 I'd be happy to chat with you about the roadster, for that matter anyone on the forum.

Regards... Bob

26hotrod, kiwijeff and harpo1313 like this.
  13. 4psi

4psi

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't sound like that when we drove cross country to Detroit in 1972 with Bud & Tom Medley riding shotgun 500 miles a day, 5000 miles round trip.

Attached Files:

26hotrod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Old Thread , Cool guy

26hotrod likes this.
  16. ^^^Thanks for bumping it up, I hadn't seen it before, and really enjoyed it.

26hotrod likes this.
  17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does "Jules" Alvarez still own it ? It was in his care at the Nostalgia Nats '83 at OCIR.

26hotrod likes this.
  18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Michigan, I was there with you in the background for all those years wishing and hoping and wanting. Even though I drive a '32 Highboy today that has been to the West coast once and will go again for LARS, I have always had a soft spot for the '28-'29 roadster on Deuce rails. I jumped on the Deuce body after talking to Roy Brizio years before he moved to his present location. That conversation ruined me. I was hypnotized by Roy's prose. BUT, I still want to build a Bud Bryan/"Jules" Alvarez inspired A-V8 someday. We will attend LARS in June and spend several days checking out some hotrod shops out there. It is so inspiring to visit the fair-haired bunch who live the life.

26hotrod likes this.
  19. Bud Bryan, yesterday....

IMG_6479.jpg

26hotrod, bymanr, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

First time I've seen the rpu on the move. Bud says my chassis works good. Just sent him some parts for a little track roadster he's working on. The fire still burns bright.

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

update: little track roadster project has been sold.

22. nitro29

nitro29

There were two cars that had me in a flat spin ,The first was the chopped '34 tudor of Ron Weeks with the blown Olds etc this is the car that I lusted after and had a chopped tudor for a long time, going broke is very hard!! Then there was Bud's roadster i read and re read all of the article I am now after many set backs about to finish my own roadster after 15 odd years living on a disability pension is tough so iit has taken me along time, friends have helped without whom I would not be were I am today, worst is that at times it is hard not allowed to weld ,Pacemakers see to that etc. But Bud Bryon should be placed at the top of the heros gallery for his genourisity of spirit that inspired myself and others to have a go. As for the Karma thing that is so much crap, just a youth thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT was very Lucky that Bud and Gray were not badly hurt in the accident. Roger

26hotrod likes this.
  23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree with you, nitro29. Sometimes the very people who are so ready to dredge up the past end up being bitten in the arse, which is just what they deserve. Get that roadster on the road and drive the wheels off it. And that Karma thing ? Pardon my Irish, but Karma is shit.

26hotrod likes this.
  24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In our cross country trip to Detroit in 1972, we stopped by my uncle's in Georgetown, Colorado. 1972 trip to Detroit Nats.jpg 1972 trip to Detroit Nats.jpg Georgetown, Colorado 1972.jpg

Attached Files:

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This picture says a lot. Bud was a service advisor at Buick Mart in Cerritos back in 1992, I worked at GMPP, he called in for authorization on a claim, and says his name Bud, I reply that the only Bud I know is Bud Bryan from R&C. Imagine my delight when I was told it was him....

Bud wasn't doing the whole "Rodney" thing 23 yrs ago, but I think just getting in to Civil War re-enactment???? I visited him in my 34 Coupe, kinda told him his term at the helm led me to this way of life and we talked about Jake, sanding on the Neikamp, the Chopped Top Issue and the re-emergence of Hot Rods-Street Rods.
    He left Buick Mart after awhile moved Sacramento way and I didn't know if he was still into the CWR or back into "Rodneys"?

I found out that he was building wiring looms and that he was headed to a reliability run in Paso, I didn't attend, but I heard he and Jake met up and spoke about R&C Days and that he was looking to start on another 29, this time it became a RPU. Well this is the 1st photo that I have seen of it and Bud in motion.

This is a great shot, Bud should have it framed if he doesn't already as yes, the 29AV8 was a cool car, but he's built another with Kelseys and Ed Cole derived power plant, still passing pavement under those cords! Cheers to a great writer, Hot Rodder and all around GREAT GUY who put the "Neat back on the Street".

26hotrod and Rusk like this.
  26. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

loved that car, wanted to build one like it, colected all the parts including the 39 linc. gearbox, quickchange from speedway $295 brand new halabrad. all other parts. was waiting for dwight gibbons to build his 29 body, waited, waited waited, i ended up puting a 32 3W body on the chassis. have used 39 linc. boxes in last 2 cars because of that rdst. making a shift lever tomorrow for this one.

26hotrod likes this.
  27. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Any more information? Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Saturday, tomorrow, there is a small gathering to celebrate Bud's 80th Birthday

Cyclone Kevin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. frank spittle

frank spittle

Happy birthday Bud. I will always fondly remember meeting you at the Gatlinburg Rod Run in 1970.