Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Butch M

Butch M

Aren't UPS guys great

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

I know,right..?

I heard the dogs barking,went to see what they were so pissed about,and by the time I made it to the door he was already getting in his van.

No knock on the door,no nothing.

I had them leave a Fender Telecaster on my porch once too.I almost snapped..

Anyway,the intake and carbs turned out to be even better than advertised,and came with some very hard to find linkage,so I'm pretty happy.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

Even in factory High Performance models there is a lot left on the table.
    There's free power in bringing things into the right side of the spec,equalizing volumes,and getting the slop and variance out of stuff.
    The details gain you a lot of power,in little chunks at a time.

A local guy named Barrie Poole proved that to us Ford guys by setting half a dozen Super Stock records between 68 and 71 with 428 Cobra Jets he had worked his magic on.

Even just a little port match,bowl,and short side work on my C6 289 heads turned a lazy little Ford into a pretty crisp little motor that was much more eager to rev.

Scott

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Also,
    I think Saltflats should have to carry 500 lbs of ballast in the passenger seat,just as a penalty for his unfair advantage:
    Crewing for Garlits!:D

Then again,scratch that:It would REALLY suck when that big Ol Mopar drove around my little grocery getter while he was carrying all that weight!lol!

I guess I'll just take my lumps when the time comes.....:)

Scott

5. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cannot wait for the Meltdown Drags....... tweaking the SBC

[​IMG]

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

That thing looks absolutely ferocious!
    What's your motor/trans combo consist of these days?

Scott

7. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Ixnay on the eedspay ecretsay man!!! :mad:

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

I know!Shut your Brother down,Marc!
    I'm already bringing a knife to a gunfight,now he's telling everybody else where the soft spots are in their combo.....I might as well have a Briggs and Stratton in that Ford of mine!lol!:D

Scott

9. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not Ferocious....kind of a powder puff..... little 2X two barrel 292 cu in Chevy, car hooks good, but was having ignition issues shortly after, did not make another pass. Got her sorted out at Cordova, then rained out on Sat for the last event. Car has issues with front axel, got if figured out (Excessive Camber) so the tire shake should be fixed. (>90 mph was a hit and miss if the resonance would shake the piss out of the car). If the front axel is resolved, then might step the engine up for Meltdown.

Best advice for lifting the front wheels.....put in a racing clutch.. McLeod Dual Disc works great. Low pedal pressure and no slip.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  10. powrshftr

powrshftr

I bet that body style makes a real nice combo for the track though:Low overall weight,but with most of it distributed over the rear wheels to help it hook hard.
    I always loved those evil little buggers.

And what's the only car the mechanic wanted NO fucking part of in 2 Lane Blacktop....?A Thames Panel!:D

Scott

11. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

hahaha!

12. Saxxon

Saxxon

Soft spot in my combination is directly behind the steering wheel.

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Baaahahahaaaaaaa!

Mines between the lining of my helmet and the chinstrap.....lol!

Scott

14. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

You guys are killin' me!!!

15. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Ric offered that Torino to me for $500 in the mid-eighties and I couldn't come up with the money! Doh! $500 might as well have been $5000 back then! I had been driving it to school for a while and had to go back to takin' the bus after he sold it! What a blow! I was a Junior in HS at the time...went from drivin' one of the coolest cars at the school to takin' the bus again...:(

16. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

I wish I knew half what he does!

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Damn!That would sting a little Marc!

I remember seeing a dark blue one that was REEEEEALLY stock and original when I was a kid....it looked sooo cool.
    The carb seemed
    Kinda fucky though,as the kid was really having a lot of trouble letting the clutch out,and it just wasn't acting natural.

Always dug those though.:)

Scott

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

You know,A bunch of those Hot Rod articles in the 90's with Gazan and Spectre racing,and shootouts with suspension and engine tuning,etc....

I learned a TON from those articles,and came to find out many years later that lots of that stuff was actually Ric's handiwork.

You're not kidding,that cat's brilliant!:)

Scott

19. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Yep!

20. We had a 5.3 shaker here about 45 min. ago, that was exciting! The epicenter was about 10-12 miles away in La Habra, where my buddy lives, (HAMB name Straxle). We gave him that name at work cause he kind of runs words into each other. When he says, "straight axle", it sounds like he's saying "straxle". He is pretty skinny, and wears shorts most of the time (even in Indy this past December at the PRI Trade Show), w/his scrawny legs hang'n out of em. Some of the guys at work call him "sticks". I told him, if he puts his name on the car in the usual driver location, he should use "Driver, Sticks Straxle". He had some stuff come off the shelves in his garage, but thankfully, nothing hit his freshly painted 57 Ford Gasser project. Whew, close one for him!

21. woeM

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

Glad to hear your buddy is ok Ric.:)

Also:racecar spelled backward is racecar. :)

Scott

23. When a digital clock says 11:11, you can stand on your head, and it says the same thing!

We also have a town, and a main drag called Moorpark. When you say it backward, its Kraproom��

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

And you can spell "Boobies" on a calculator...lol

25. Scott, Look what you did! All those silly acronyms, and pooty talk have killed this thread, and run all the car guys off. No action hear in almost 24 hours!

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

You scared em all away with all your talk of the 400+ ci,9000rpm,unobtainiumn,bazillion to one compression,injected,rollerized,torque spewing,wheelie cranking,axle twisting,tire shredding monster small block bullet you guys are buttoning up for the Chevy....

I think they all went into hiding Brother!:)

Scott

27. Oh ya.., that.

28. Saxxon

Saxxon

Hey... get this for timing...

I'm watching Street Outlaws when I get a PM from a Need-for-Speed enthusiast who still lives in his mom's basement and frequents a banana colored firearm forum. (I like the forum by the way...) This guy is is all bitter and twisted over the fact I keep using the term "Farm Truck Eliminator" and "Farm Truck" when obviously the first, original and apparently...only... Farm Truck is the cool sleeper beast on the show. (Yah I like it... too bad the players are idiots). So before I tell him where to shove his Pinto diff equipped ride I thought he might actually have a point

The majority of Scouts I can recall were parked at old school gas stations with push bumpers and snow plows hanging off the front. They aren't really Farm Trucks... they're Plow Trucks.

Don't know if "Plow Truck Eliminator" has the same cool factor as "Farm Truck Eliminator"

Any thoughts... ???
    Kind of like to get this sorted out before I print the T-Shirts

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Tell him to go suck a farm truck load of dicks Dave.;)

Are we talking about that old red Chevy truck with the topper?

Is it the guy who owns the truck who was giving you the gears,or just some tool who has nothing whatsoever to do with it,but appointed himself the boss of everybody else's everything in the entire world....?;)

Scott

30. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Screw them, Farm Truck Eliminator is way cooler. Besides, remind the nerd that while the "Farm Truck" is way cool. (its probably the only true street car on the show) its not really a "Farm Truck" anyway. Not in Oklahoma City anyways. A more appropriate name for it would be the "Ranch Truck". Plenty of "Farm Trucks" around Byron Dragway though.