Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. PCO6

PCO6

Thanks guys. Here's the rest of it ... ON A GOOD DAY! It doesn't always look this clean.

[​IMG]

jakespeed63 likes this.
  2. 53 sparky

53 sparky

My perspective: How do you do nice work without starting with a clean workbench?

jakespeed63 likes this.
  3. Work on the floor ?

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

x2. I make it a point to clean up and put everything in it's place before I quit for the day. For me, there's nothing worse than starting a new day at a dirty/sloppy workplace.

5. I'm a slob, I don't clean up daily, but after each segment of the project.

6. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

I clean up twice a year, whether it needs it or not.

7. coppertone

coppertone

Man, there's some pretty serious stuff on here, but how 'bout my 6-71 supercharged anvil? Get hammered, then blown.

8. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I'm thinking yout already hammered:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. For me, it's just the same as carrying on from the previous day.
    I clean up as I go OR when I need to, so not necessarily because the day has ended.

10. olcarguy

olcarguy

I use self tapping screws to hold patch panels in place while doing fit ups. It's fast and easy. A strong magnet in the bottom of a fish can holds the srews for easy and quick access...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  11. PCO6

PCO6

I agree. Mess comes and goes. I usually have 2 or 3 projects on my bench at a time and so long as things keep moving I'm OK with that.

12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I built this engine hoist for my dad when I was 17.
    He was tired of renting them. ;)
    (The rusty mopar 218 crank is just lying there for scale. :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoisting the engine off my boat:
    [​IMG]

All the steel was gratis, a gift of the US Taxpayer. (It was military surplus) so I built this thing pretty stout & it weighs like 300 lbs. The steel flat plates and the stub pipe are 1/2 thick. That was the first time I'd welded anything over 1/4" thick, and it was a challenge. It has a couple real ugly welds on it, but overall it's pretty good.

In 1973 we extended the legs, mast and boom another 3 feet+ each, by telescoping them and adding some big set screws. Then we lifted the body off of this scout (sans hood and doors.) We did a second one & swapped the bodies, so this has a '63 chassis with '67 4-cyl engine and '67 V-8 body.

[​IMG]

After 42 years the jack is leaking, and currently runs on 50 wt oil instead of 10 wt. Works OK, but you must lift the pump slowly for the thick oil. Eventually I'll rebuild the jack.

13. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

BTW, some really amazing things in this thread. I'm learning a huge amount about this business, just from this thread.

I need to make an english body bag, & I'm wondering if everyone still just uses sand or if some are using shot or ???

I love the idea of supporting the bag in a harrow disc. I was just gonna build a stand from old timber. Then again I don't own a shop so there's a lot of MacGyver-ing going on here...

14. indyjps

indyjps

Knee high panty hose and a rubber band works great as a prefilter for your foam. I use just the panty hose for a filter a lot of the time for dusty jobs. Learned it from drywall guys.

15. If I really want to get it done, nothing is going to stop me from it or doing it the best I can. Certainly clutter and debris or scatrered tools wont stop that. But a clean place to work in a clean shop makes it a lot easier to "really want to get it done" and a shit load easier to actually get even more done.

It's about time & math.
    If it makes sense to you then that's how you will do it.

I've seen some places that are like an operating room, others are so fucked up that if a tornado went thru there, the tornado would actually put some shit away. Lol

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Ah! clearly you've seen my garage... ;)

17. Like an operating room ? Or the other kind ?

18. Yeah, that's my method too... :D Unless I'm doing a carb rebuild, then you need a clean area....

19. rodl

rodl

Apart from the ease to find tools etc. there is less chance of an accident, and also if you have prospective clients come to your shop and see its neat and tidy, then you've got them won over, as what they see goes a long way to suggesting that is how their job will be treated! (Shit shop = shit job!)

20. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Every table and bench is covered with parts and tools 90% of the time.

21. For the most part, on this site, we are our own clients.
    I'm pleased if it's clean or messy.. :rolleyes:

22. Yeah, I don't allow myself to have clients, I've got projects instead!!!!!!

23. olcarguy

olcarguy

Professional Shops are a horse of a different colour for sure. If I'm working in my home shop, It doesn't get cleaned very often. When the customer is paying, then cleanup time is allowed for in the shop price. Big difference.

24. To some guys it seems to be more productive to spend 1 hr looking for that "x" then another hour looking for the next "x" they need but a complete waist of time to spend 20 mins putting it away. Anyone can see it doesn't sound logical but If it makes sense to you, that's how you'll do it I guess. But rodl says it best. Shit shop =shit job

25. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Took the words out of my mouth.

26. olcarguy

olcarguy

I'm not sure how good your memory is, but when I finish with a tool and put it down I remember where it was put. When working in pro shops tools grow feet and run away, that's why they get locked up......

27. reyn

reyn

I have sandblasted at home and I spent a lot of time cleaning my shop vac filter, every half hour or more. I made this and 95% of the sand ends up in the small pail and the vac filter does not clog up. very minimal.
    They are called Dust Deputy, but I was too cheap to spend $130.00 Plus shipping so I made my own. Really pleased with it.
    Some great tools on this thread.

Attached Files:

28. Depends on your definition of shit shop. :eek:
    Tools lying around and floor needing a sweep is not my definition.
    Nor are my jobs shit ... :D

29. I put down a tool while I am still using it and can't remember where I put it !

30. AntiBling

AntiBling

How about you ladies stop arguing about cleaning and get back to posting homemade tools?

Pictures of my tank tester, for pressurizing tanks to check for leaks. Took a old low pressure gauge off a oxygen regulator, the big one with a fitting welded into the cap is for testing bulk tanks.

The angle piece is for spacing when I need to make a stand with 3 legs.

Attached Files:

prewarcars4me likes this.