Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pinch me! 32 Cabrio is mine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by crminal, Mar 5, 2014.

1. 32-cabriolet

32-cabriolet
    from Gilbert Az

very cool.... if you need any cabb'y info or pics let me know

2. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Congratulations on a very cool score.
    Man how I wish I was on your side of the world, The chance of finding something as cool as that are very slim down here(Australia).
    I wouldn't change a thing.
    I love it!

3. Thanks 32-cab. A couple days ago I was searching for photos of 32 cabbys and saw yours on the Coker site. Beautiful car.

MTR-HD-Ordie, thanks to you and DeeDee for your help and support getting her back to life. When we finally fired her off and she came to life it was quite a thrill (so was our E-brake test ride) :-o
    Your early Chevy expertise is appreciated.

Some pics with the top up.
    IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2024.JPG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Stogy, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Wow Bryan! Wow indeed! Not only a '32 but a real survivor. Wish I would have seen this sooner I would have loved to help get it running with you, even if it is a chevy. lol Really cool man, I love it, Very happy for you. :D

Stogy likes this.
  5. To all that gave well wishes, thanks. It is still hard to believe my good fortune. I've learned so much about how things were done back when there were no catalogs and a guy just built a rod with determination, skills and a limited budget.

On a side note, surprised at how many parts came from Sears. Allstate spark plugs, oil filters, tires, seat covers, seat belts, voltage regulator and more, all were Allstate brand. Kinda sad how things are now.

I plan to post random pics of things I've found on it that are just plain cool.

Re-doing brakes, hard and soft lines, tires, etc. and hope to take a spin by the weekend. Been talking to the seller, giving updates on her progress.

As much as it pains me, she really does look better with no fenders and I'll be using 7.00-16 rears and 5.50-16 fronts. The owner agreed that if I wouldn't get citations, it would better without.

I've starting to clean the paint and have been waxing it to a low sheen.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Very cool, Bryan...and very jealous!

Quite the find, and sounds like it found the right home.

Sent VIA top secret BIGREDTODD Mobile HQ

7. Leviman

Leviman

Yeah, kind of sad how you can crack open the internet and have many options, including vintage correct rather than having to hodge podge whatever cheap stuff you can find at sears together. :rolleyes: Not that your car is hodge podged, looks well built. Just keep perspective, sears was a department store, not a speed shop. It's like saying 'wow look at these vintage shucks brand spark plugs!'

8. Thinking that you missed my point.
    This car is indicative of a real 50's-60's build. While there were speed shops, the items I mentioned do not usually come from speed shops.
    Merely a reflection of how Sears has declined. At one time it was obviously a good parts source. Now I won't buy a wrench there.

Stogy and daddio211 like this.
  9. NealinCA

NealinCA

That was my first thought when I saw the pics...but figured I would keep my mouth shut for fear of the "leave it the way it was" police. I would do the same on the tires, but might look at leaving the front fenders and go with 6.00's... just because. If not, throw them up in the rafters for the next caretaker to worry about. :)

Neal

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wrong !

He missed your point completely and also was wrong in his assumption that what Sears sold in the way of auto parts was cheap junk.

Back in the day all of the automotive related items that Sears sold were good quality parts and were nothing like some of the garbage sold by JC Whitney.
    Just because they were a department store does not mean they sold cheap junk.
    He probably grew up in the Walmart era and cheap junk is all he knows :D

mctim64 and daddio211 like this.
  11. I was concerned about it. Took them off one side and compared. Made it obvious which way to go. Owner agreed that he only put them on because he had to.
    They are a bolt on, and will rest in the rafters.

daddio211 likes this.
  12. Awesome stuff . . . and you know that I dig it (FlatCab owner). There are so many "new" 32 roadsters on the road, is kind of cool to see some original hotrods that are a bit different. That is one thing that I think is really cool about 32 Cabrios, just not many around and you know by looking at them that if they are steel, they are original.

If you need anything related to a 'stock one' let me know - mine is about 100% other than the 59x engine in it.

Keep in touch!

B&S

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  13. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

WOW, great find. I've had mine for 30 years and it has looked like this for the last 16 years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jalopykid and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. B&S- Appreciated. Been following yours as well. Amazing how these thing come to happen!

Cabriolethiboy- Your car is just plain beautiful!

15. NORSON

NORSON

Here's one that got away in about '63. Had an Olds and '39 box. Could have had for $600. That was about what my '55 hardtop was worth. Couldn't figure out how to get it home so I passed. Sure wish I knew what happened to it.
    Norm

Attached Files:

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Great time capsule I love me a bit of Deucebriolet , very very cool.

17. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Thanks; old pic of it under construction;
    [​IMG]

S.F., kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Incredibly cool

19. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

So damn cool man. Congratulations! I would't change a thing about it.

20. Can't wait to see it in person. See ya soon! :D

21. Throttledwife

Throttledwife

Love the idea of roll up windows..we need those here in England.!!! ;)

22. One fortunate SOB, Bryan...what we all dream of fimding! A different car without the fenders...so right

Sent VIA top secret BIGREDTODD Mobile HQ

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Todd, yes I am. And thanks.
    Also thanks to McTim for putting together a shoot. It was fun except for results of that Ford Vs. Chevy drag race.
    There's a good reason he's the "Y Block Guy". ;~)

24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

wondering aloud what it would look like without turn signals and different (lowered) headlight mounts

25. NealinCA

NealinCA

WOW!!!! The tire change was huge. I know what Larry is saying, but I kinda like the funkiness of the tall headlight stands. Change too much and it will loose it's old time character.

Neal

26. Agreed

Thanks guys and all opinions are welcome as discussion is good.
    I have this strong feeling to resist changes to make the car be more like what we expect it be like nowadays.

Yes, the headlights are too high for todays build, but must have been okay in 1960. So they will live on with their "funkiness":D

The turn signals are Harley Davidson #68504-64. Used in late 63-64. $15.84, bought and installed in 1970.

Records indicate that it was painted in 1964, "Lancelot Turquoise". Ditzler enamel, a 1964 Rambler color, over rustoleum primer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  27. NealinCA

NealinCA

I think CA law at the time dictated the headlight height of many cars of this era. Make it too "perfect" and it will look like a modern interpretaion of a period car...(like what most of us build today :))

mctim64 and volvobrynk like this.