Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Saw this yesterday and still can't believe it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmbuellist, Mar 26, 2014.

1. If you look closely it has side engine mounts which the Dodge didn't have.And I think only the desoto's had Stamped ID in the plug wire covers. Definitely not a Dodge.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. Not all wire covers had writing on them. It has Desoto wire covers on it. Fireflite or Firedome plug wire covers.

Dustin

3. abone1930

abone1930

I know a guy just like him, hes been hoarding stuff for years, sells some times, but worth twice as much as the market value, its gold, then it just rots to the ground. He drives the biggest piece of crap chevy truck around but has over 100 cars, dont build any just keeps buying them. I had a 32 ford truck cab I chopped and put a new floor and firewall in, sold it years ago, now hes got it some how. Once it goes there it does not leave , just rotts.

4. scotts52

scotts52

Guess I see things a little different than most. This guy was buying cars that probably nobody else wanted at the time. Most likely by now they'd have all been wrecked, scrapped or rotted away somewhere else. As much as time does cause these vehicles to deteriorate there's still hope that someday they'll be around to be enjoyed again. It seems that if most of these hoarder types, junk collectors, etc. hadn't bought up these cars when they did there'd be a lot less around for us these days or down the road.

5. castirondude

castirondude

x2. with the addition that hopefully they let go of the cars to interested individuals. many hoarders price their stuff so high that nobody will buy it, then when they die it all gets scrapped anyway.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

6. Zerk

Zerk

The fact that he has cars in an unfinished state on his property doesn't offend me.

The fact that MANY old cars get crushed every day for purely financial reasons, on the other hand...

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a damn thing.

Nothing wrong here either, especially out in Bum Fuck, New Mexico. Beats the crusher.

8. I find some of the comments funny. Many of them say that the owner is a crazy, nutcase hoarder who has no intention of ever selling. Maybe so, but it's HIS stuff, and he spent the money to buy it way back when it wasn't worth what it is today. Many people have lots of money invested in jewelery, stamps, artwork, or guns. Go and do this.....take the most expensive, treasured thing you own and go and sell it. I bet you can't do it. This guy's car collection (however dilapidated it is) is his treasure. We need to accept it and respect his property.

Which leads me to another thing....All of these car shows on TV have given people the sudden notion that they can just wander onto anybody's property and have a look around. I know the OP of this thread was invited on to the property, and that's perfectly OK. If I catch someone snooping around on my property, they will get fronted up, and yes, I will be packing a firearm, and I won't be my normal, jovial self. I see these shows where people hop fences to go look at a car and then insult the owner with an absurdly disrespectful offer for the car, because the buyer is trying to make a killer profit off of the flip that he's going to do 2 weeks later. As a seller, I could give a shit about how much money you make when you resell it. I'm selling the car at MY price, so why should I cut you a deal so YOU'LL make more money?

I think there's a little bit of hoarder in all of us. We all tend to buy stuff when the deal is too good to pass up. I do, and that's why I've got 4 project vehicles, and only one of them is running and driving. I've got stacks of wheels, blocks, heads, headers, fenders, and lots of other stuff that I'll probably never use. But each one of those parts tells a story, and the chase to find and buy them was fun and exciting and I wouldn't change a thing.

9. I wonder if that Vette is an original big block car? He may have bought it in 1975, when you couldn't give a big block car away. Back in the mid-70s, our neighbor tried to sell his '70 LS-6 Chevelle for $2500 and nobody wanted it. It was a nice car, too. Cortez Silver, black stripes, 4-speed car.

10. prpmmp

prpmmp

Yes!! But as mentioned,all of this stuff is rotting away and his family is living substandard! Once you reproduce your sole responsibility is your offspring.We all may collect stuff but not at the expense of our family! Pete

11. I agree, but maybe he lives that way by choice. Some people have an unusual sense of what is normal and comfortable to them.

12. castirondude

castirondude

the crazy nutcase people are the ones who keep buying new cars instead of fixing the ones already in circulation !!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

13. Month-old underwear? :confused:

14. Many people do not want to sell their stuff to make money because if you have earned income you do not get as much free money from the government. ( just a though, its the reason my mother in law wont work, and that shit pisses me off.)

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmm, wonder how you can figure that out? The mobile home has an A/C unit on top, it's probably paid for, the land might be paid for, the air is clean, the water is pure . . .

Dad here might be an eccentric, brilliant amateur astronomer, a loving father with a wonderful sense of humor . . . it's all speculation on our part, now, isn't it?

Whose standards are you judging him by, yours?

Sorry for the O/T rant, but it kills me to see some of the conclusions we can jump to. :)

16. prpmmp

prpmmp

The Corvette is worth more than the trailer!!! Pete

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I can't believe some of the comments in this thread. I thought if anybody could understand wearing cheap clothes, living in a cheap house and having a bunch of old cars it would be this crowd.

For the record I wear shabby work clothes (but clean) drive an 8 year old minivan live in a crappy house and have a dozen old cars, trucks and trailers around the place.

And yes, I am nuts. I just thought if anybody would understand it would be you guys.

18. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

I saw and thought the same. Someone had some fun, but not an original conversion for sure.

19. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Man, you gotta love hoarders. Why can't they be into Hondas, and leave these cars for the people who can appreciate them?

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

too many people here seem to be too concerned with how someone they don't even know lives his life. lucky for the guy that lives there, he most likely does not give a fuck what other people think about anything he does.

21. within 20 miles of my house there used to be two huge collections of 70's and 80's volvos. one to the west and one to east.

22. Letting these things melt into the earth with no remorse or consideration of selling on to a more responsible party is selfish and downright inexcusable. In my opinion beyond gas prices and EPA/DMV rules and regulations it's people like this that are killing off the hobby, and denying future generations the opportunity to experience these relics as we have been so lucky to enjoy them.

There's a certain level of responsibility when it comes to owning vintage American transportation history like this. If you can't store it, improve it, or maintain it properly, send it on to someone that can and pass the financial benefits on to your family or others.

Everything about this is disgusting.

23. slowmotion

slowmotion

Hey, it could be old refrigerators, stoves, dryers, at least the guy's into old cars...give 'em a break.

24. Zerk

Zerk

What I get from the original post is that the guy owns at least one residence which happens to be a trailer, has a nice, polite kid, a lot of cars that I wish that I owned and a location that makes mine look less-than-desirable. More than that I don't know and can't guess.
    In my book he's doing okay.

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Most of those cars would have been crushed, melted down and turned into Hondas years ago if not for someone like that saving them.

26. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

There is a show on Discovery channel here in S.W. Virginia on Monday nights at 10 p.m. and I can't remember the name of the show, but the premise is about car hoarders. It's new...I've only seen 2 episodes so far.

27. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

I don't think he's living sub-standard, wow, way to judge a human being guys. If I had a bunch of cool cars I'd tell everyone nothing is for sale too... as soon as word got around that I was selling I'd have a million idiots driving to my house walking around my yard bothering me and my family... sometimes its easier just to say NO!

28. I have not seen a twin screw on a light duty truck in my time. ususlly when you see a pickup truck with a second axle it is just a tag axle.

29. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

He could at least cover them up. In reality we are all just the caretakers of our cars, because unless you crush it while you own it, it will someday be owned by someone else. You can't take them with you. Next time you get in your car imagine 10-20-40 years from now someone else driving it...

30. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Whats "sub-standard" lifestyle?
    If I live up to your standards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,can I be you?
    I like being me. I suck, but I like being me.
    My 61 Galaxie I've had for 6 years and dosent run, NFS
    My 57 Country Sedan that I've had for 20 years and dosent run,NFS.
    My 60 Alumalite travel trailer I've had for 4 years and is in pieces,NFS.
    My 71 Husky 250 that I got in 1981, that dosent run,,,,,,,,,,NFS
    714 Viking V-hull with 2 1958 Evinrude 35 horse motors, that dont friggen run and only gets wet when it rains,,NFS
    All the assorted others, NFS.
    4 big red tool boxes stuffed with everything imagineable, including Wentworth and weird NASA wrenches for a 5 sided bolt,piss off,,,,,,NFS
    Sounds worse when I see it all written out.