Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Saw this yesterday and still can't believe it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmbuellist, Mar 26, 2014.

1. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I like the widow's peak.

2. fleet-master

fleet-master

anybody know what the car is sitting behind the Firebird? can just see the nose of it ...looks like a sports car of some sort

3. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

If having them in that condition puts a smile on the owner's face that's fine with me.
    People enjoy the old car hobby in many ways. Some build hot rods, some build street rods, some restore their cars, and others enjoy accumulating them. To me ragging on the owner for "hoarding" cars isn't any different than a restorer raggin on someone for building a hot rod rather than restoring a car. To each his own.

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Kind of looks like a Opel (or Opal). Popular in the 70s.

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Si, uh ya(I think that is right). When I worked on the railroad, I could see cars that weren't visible from the road. So many times I found the owners to be this typical type who would say, "Hell no nothing is for sale, and how did you see my shit anyway?" Later you learn these guys aren't about selling stuff, but if you know them, they just might give some tin away. My limited intelligence cannot compute that mindset. All over Texas it seemed to be this way in the '60's thru '80's. Today there is not near as much stuff left as there was in the past, but where did it all go when nothing was for sale ? Is it like that in Germany ?

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think what the OP meant about the rags and $500 car was that they have quite a bit of money sitting around in those abandoned cars and yet the kid was dressed like a bum and is driving a POS. That doesn't make sense to me either. It is like the guy who starves to death and then they find $ 100 K hidden in his mattress.

The sad part is, 10 years from now those cars will still be sitting in the same spot but will be in much worse condition. I don't get logic like that at all.

Don

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

For many of us, it's sad to see those cars sit like that but hey, maybe the owners don't care about how much money they can make selling off the vehicles. Nothing wrong with living a simple life. Money is the root of all evil.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  8. The dudes a Hamber, and those junkers are just his parts cars. You should see what hes got in his sheds :D

9. What's that Hemi? Put it in the Vette.

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Its "only" some kind of AC Cobra.:D Move along, nothing to see here.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Actually, the correct quote is "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil"

Money is just a tool like a wrench, a pencil or a firearm. Inert......it's what a person does with it that matters.

Years ago I had a friend who liked to say "money is the root of all happiness":D

12. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Didn't care much for the finished 40 Ford pickup in the 2nd episode. Those wheels were ugly. The 59 Impala was nice though.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Opel GT.

14. Zoomed in on the hemi. It appears to be a Desoto, because it looks like plug wire covers have something on them.

15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Pretty freakin' amazing. Dude definitely has a diverse taste. I'd like to hear the backstory on how all this was accumulated.

16. oldolds

oldolds

When the guy bought those cars they were $500 cars. He drove the snot out of them untill the motors blew up or something else broke. Then he just parked them thinking they would fix them up.

The story is something like this, I bought a whole Firebird for $450 and they want $300 for a motor at the junkyard. What a bunch of crooks! I will find a $50 motor and get it running again.

17. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Now, if they are living in that trailer....

18. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

There is a back story-----sad----the dad would get a few bucks and buy a car bring it home and park it---see those trailers in the background---they live there----the kids were known as poorer than dirt----that 67 vette is in the front yard
    Okay--the 6 wheeled truck is cool---but very crude---both rear axles are driven
    the Hemi is in a 56 Dodge hardtop--

Attached Files:

19. seatex

seatex

What Channel, DISCOVERY?

20. A Boner

A Boner

It's New Mexico, where are the refrigerator and couch pic's?

21. prpmmp

prpmmp

Mental Illness? Pete

22. seatex

seatex

Yep,, it's sad, and probably borderline criminal, but it's his to do with as he pleases. The New Mexico desert may be the place for the steel to "outlive" the guy until someone can save them, but I bet those Vette's are more brittle than month old underwear!

23. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

How do you know the property was abandoned? Sounds like you helped yourself to someones property to me........

24. The 56 Chevy hardtop looks like a 210. Ya don't see those every day.

Dustin

25. Good eye!

Dustin

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ok, if that is that back story, the Dad has rocks in his head. To keep your family living like that when you have some things that you could sell to make their lives better is just wrong. Probably most of us on here have given up some beloved car at some point in our lives to keep food on the table and a roof over our family's heads, that is what this guy needs to do. (Reminds me of those clowns on that Oklahoma street racing show who think nothing of spending huge money on their cars while their families live in a run down trailer.)

And those cars will just sit until they become part of the New Mexico dirt. :(:( He could get enough out of that vette alone to make a difference in their financial situation.

Don

27. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Was a dodge not a Desoto----all old hemies had the metal plug wire covers

28. Well I am not a corvette man for sure but I could easily fall in love with that old Sting Ray. is that a blower motor? the Firebird HO is pretty cool as well.

29. Was thinking the same thing. The owner is an asshole. Hopefully the kids sell off everything when he dies and live a comfortable life.

30. house of fab

house of fab
    from ashland va

Anyone have some ideas as to how both axles on the pick-up are driven ????
    Seen how its done on big trucks. Did any other vehicle have that connection between lighter duty axles???