Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Thanks been working out some caster issues and getting some run time on the motor. I though it was spring it snowed here yesterday. Ron
    [​IMG]

2. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a really nice 55. I was around back in the day as well, ran modified production with 301 SBC in a 55 Chevy. But my car was nowhere as nice as yours.

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Nice 55 carpok I love the S/S style and the white oh yea.

4. Niiiiiice! What engine, trans, rear gear? What are you hoping it'll run. Welcome back to the Drags!

5. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Thanks for the warm welcome I appreciate it.
    Nothing to exciting 331 forged 120 domed pistons, GM solid lifters cam, muncie, 9" with 373 gears.
    Years ago I had basically the same setup in a 66 nova but a 513 gear ran high 12s. So with no gear or tires and more weight lucky to break 14s. I don't really know just looking for a fun weekend. Is fuel available at the track? Ron

6. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Yeah, the track has race fuel.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ron:
    That is a great looking Chevy,and your combination sounds like it should make for a pretty hot street car that's loads of fun to drive.
    Looking forward to seeing you at the Meltdown,and maybe getting a couple of runs in against your Chevy:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Love the car Ron!

9. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Well....now about 81 awesome tri-5's......Not joking.....nice 55 from a guy with a 55 'problem' lol

10. I'm thinking low 14's/high 13's, you know, just enough to whoop your Pinto, uh I mean Nag..,oh crude, I mean Sea Biscuit, ah,oh ah, MUSTANG!, ya mustang, ya that one. :)

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sea Biscuit...!!!!Haaaaahahahaaaaaa!!!!

Will you please stop eating paint chips and get back to work on the car now?
    :D

Scott

12. Miserable
    Useless
    Stead
    Turd
    Almost
    Near
    Glue

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hahahaaaaa!:D

They usually are when I find them....then after dumping all my money and time into them they turn out pretty nice.
    I like to adopt the orphans...lol

Scott

14. speedwise

speedwise

Over 80 tri-fives?? Wouldn't it be neat to line them up down the strip for a kick ass photo op? Do it like they used to with the funny cars at OCIR back in the day. Have you ever seen that many tri-five hot rods in one place? Just a thought...

15. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Wheel problem solved ! Thanks to fellow HAMB member "wheelguy", who lives here in the Buckeye state with myself, I will be restoring and mounting a nice pair of American Dragmasters, 15 x 8.5 on the back of my multi colored 55 ! Now for some new tires. The ones I have now are too big to work with the offset of the Dragmasters. (THANKS AGAIN WHEELGUY) I know I don't have them in my hands yet but I had to post a pic ! Now to get a pic of the car, finally be pre-registered and make abut 82 Tri 5 Chevys on the list ! Hey Falfasnightmare, there is no such thing as a 55 Chevy problem !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  16. powrshftr

powrshftr

It's not going 4x4 high,just getting another inch and a half between the lip of the wheel well,over the previous....well...1/64th of an inch clearance...lol

I'm trying to NOT go for this look:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395882342.204085.jpg

Scott

Picked up a little grippier wood rimmed steering wheel yesterday too....when it gets crossed up the stock spaghetti thin wheel is scary!

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

17. I know how you feel. When I see an old car, especially an ex race car, there just something that makes you wanna save it, and bring it back to life. I worked at a shop that specialized in muscle cars in late '91-'93ish, worked on more 64-68 mustangs than you could shake a stick at. Is yours a coupe, or fast back?

PS. The paint chip remark had me giggling like a school girl.

18. I can feel the heat all the way over here from that BURNNNNNNN

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ric:
    Glad you liked that one....I was chuckling while I typed it...lol!:)

I have the coupe that's done(ish),and the fastback is my A/FX project....actually spoken to Dick Brannan about cloning the Stark Hickey Ford "Goldfinger" car,but there is some licensing involved,and it may be a while before it gets done.Still torn between A and B FX for that one,as I really love zinging a little Ford up to 7500+ r's,but a 427 SOHC has always been the quarterback of my fantasy football team:)

Scott

20. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I was thinking the same thing !

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

I gotta get him once in a while.....I'm stocked up on SPF 9000 from all the burns Ric has given me over my grocery getter lately...lol

I'm just hoping my junk gets down the track at least two or three times under its own power before the mushroom cloud spews from under the hood...:)

Scott

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  22. Robert Pond is a close personal friend of mine. A couple years ago, he got tired of waiting for his 3 set order of cammer heads from Bill Coon (2 1/2 years) in New Zealand, and went and made all his own stuff to add to his line of premo FE stuff. The first one he built was a 505 incher with a 4.375 stroke, 12.1 Cr with a moderate cam and one 950 HP Holley on his two plane int. It made like 860-880HP on VP C12. Check out Robert Pond Motorsports, if you haven't already.

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Already on it Buddy!:)
    His blocks are really nice,but I didn't realize he was doing Cammer heads too!:)

Scott

24. ...I also had this idea last year; maybe this year they can pull it off, it'd be great.

25. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Just hope you don't get a handful of splinters tryin' to real her back in when she gets surly with ya!

26. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Guys cant guarantee they will all be there on one day with 3 possible days but that number would be pretty close....it would be awesome to line the track..

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Marc:
    I don't think it's got enough power in my little $200 to turn those slicks very much,but hopefully it will surprise me!:)

Finally ordered some subframe connectors to tie the poor old thing together too.

Scott

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Koop:
    I think that might be for the best of you can't get them all together at once anyway....
    My Dad's heart might give out on him!

That man sure loves the '55's!:)

(I love the tri-fives too,but he's pretty hardcore about them!)

Scott

29. Saxxon

Saxxon

One of the lines we use to sell this event has been.

It's the only place in the world where you show up with a straight axle 55 or a gasser Willys... and you're almost boring...

We mean that with all due respect to the cars, the builders and mostly...to the event. We think it's actually incredibly awesome we can make that statement and it's a blast to see the look on people's faces when we show them pics of the show and especially the staging lanes. It is the biggest collection of cars from this era... but when you own a radical Willys or Tri-5 it's not unusual to roll into a gathering or soda joint and be the center of attention... at the Meltdown you're part of a crowd... How much does that say for the event ??

Now if we can just get a couple of more farm trucks....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  30. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's funny cause its true Dave!

How often do you catch yourself saying "Oh yeah.....there's another Willys ", or "I can't remember if I've seen that 55 make a pass yet....is that the one with the 331,or the one with 427?"

I can't wait for July. :D

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.