Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a Gasser style car ? Stand up and be counted !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, Feb 9, 2004.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice motor Scott

2. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Hey Vall, it's me, Mark. I bet you didn't recognize my engine hey??? LOL. Your crossram is looking great.

Mark

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. cs39ford

cs39ford

I got one Aggravation Too ! From the 1960s Midwest car

Attached Files:

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Did that car come out of Iowa?

6. cs39ford

cs39ford

It came from the tip of iowa up by green field but not glenn

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm Glenn :)

Something about that car is familiar, my Grandparents and allot of family (farmers) lived in Creston, Orient, Greenfield, and Afton areas.

Do you have anymore pictures you could share of it?

8. cs39ford

cs39ford

Glenn At this time no. its still put away But car came from Mo and the guy I got it from lived in gilbert IA A little town Not much there one casey gas station

9. cs39ford

cs39ford

This is a little info I got with the car
    1956 Chevy Sedan. Was legit old drag car in Missouri back in late 60's and early 70's running under the name "Aggravation Too." I have some old photocopies of AHRA 1/8 mile records from 1967 to 1968, newspaper articles, and box of old trophies to prove. Car was put out to pasture literally for 25+ years. Guy I bought car from last year, rescued and spent couple years getting back on the street. TONS of Patina as you can see by the pictures. Has early Olds rear-end with spool and 4.88 gears, original homemade long ladder bars running up to the front cross member, old straight axle with no shocks, motor set back some, and radiused rear wheelwells. Brand new Cragar 15x4 wheels and new skinny radials on front and brand new 15x10 Cragers on rear with very good N50's for the perfect stance. Has fresh very badass 336 small block, 13:1 compression, pink rods, big cam, solid lifters, big oil pan, roller rockers, tunnel ram with 2 rebuilt 660 Holley center squirters, Brodix aluminum angle plug heads, fenderwell headers, scattershield, Ronco magneto, Saginaw 4-speed with vintage Hurst in-line shifter with reverse lockout, rollcage, 5-gallon fuel cell and electric fuel pump in trunk, battery located in trunk with master disconnect in taillight, electric fan, vintage 60's liftoff fiberglass hood with plug in for headlights, body is gutted shell only and doors have no windows or possibility or ever having any. Rear windows are stationary with green plexiglass (have new in box green plexiglass for front and 2 spare good usable front doors if windows were ever desired) Car is dependable, very loud and impossible to carry a conversation on in while driving, annoying to all the neighbors, and a handful to drive with spool, straight axle, shifter, etc. However, it will put a smile on your face !

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

10-4. I grew up in Iowa, and Drag Raced at Iowa,Nebraska, Northern Missouri, and Western Illinois tracks back in the '70's. Something about your car is speaking to me,.... other than the fact it is cool.

What are your plans for it?

11. cs39ford

cs39ford

I am just going to drive it on the street Just order radir 10x15 cheater slicks, a 15 gallon fuel cell Going to see a guy this sat that has all the door stuff to put the green plexi widows in doors It is lic, has ins Looking for some covair buckets (has bus seats now) and put in some door panels carpet Maybe prime it black later Has original metal flake green dash and will keep that Also live 3 miles from the old Rockford drag strip may have to take it for a pass!

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Is that really you Mark? ;) Naw, I knew it was you; just wanted to tell you I still think it's great!

13. Butch M

Butch M

That is such a cool car sounds like some real cool history

14. cs39ford

cs39ford

Thanks When I saw it on Craigslist I knew I had to go get it!

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm glad you posted, been wondering how the progress is going on your car. One question; why run a toploader 3 speed? Seems a 4 speed would get the job done better.

16. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Vall, I knew you knew I knew you knew, LOL. Thanks.
    OahuEli, I wanted a strong trans for cheap. These GM spec toploaders were usually taken off the car as soon as most people got them and replaced with 4 speeds. Many times you can find them very cheap. I think I paid about $150 for mine. They are bullet proof. I would have loved to have a wide ratio 4 speed but I would never find one for that price. But in the 3 speeds defense, the turbo motor likes to be worked so the wider gear spread will make the turbos work harder and it's one less gear to miss, LOL. I'm also planning to build a 4L80 to eventually replace the 3 speed when I get more serious. The turbos just work better with a converter to spool up against. And the OD will be nice for the roads down here.

Mark

17. ultramotive inc

ultramotive inc

One of three Anglia and a Henry j

Attached Files:

18. ultramotive inc

ultramotive inc

One of the other Anglias and the Henry j

Attached Files:

19. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Mild gasser...that's a new one. That car should be on a goodguys t-shirt...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. I'm down to the finishing touches, getting a driveshaft fabbed, wiring etc., will likely see the track in the next few months. I got some history on it from the son of the last guy who raced it, sounds like it was a bracket car but pretty fast, 9s at 150, no front brakes. According to gasser class rules of the time, engine setback was limited to 4 inches, so this likely would have been an A/altered if it was class-raced, engine is back about 14 inches, I almost sit in the back seat. I'm looking forward to seeing if my "tape measure and chalk lines on the floor" engineering actually shoots straight.

Attached Files:

henry's57bbwagon likes this.
  21. Why did some of the gassers use red glass [plastic] ?

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That was plexiglass and some gassers used plexiglass for weight reduction. I've seen red, amber, blue, and green. The colors were just to add something different, and usually based on what color went best with the car's color. Mine is red in my Austin, as the car is red.

23. cs39ford

cs39ford

Radirs and fuel cell came this weekend in the next couple of weeks weather should turn to spring and time to play

Attached Files:

24. cs39ford

cs39ford

Here's some more photos just got it out for first street ride

Attached Files:

25. cs39ford

cs39ford

more photos

Attached Files:

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

What a sweet ride, sure brings up old memories, .....send her to 7000 RPM and drop the hammer :)

27. Butch M

Butch M

The slicks look way cool......

28. cs39ford

cs39ford

More

Attached Files:

29. cs39ford

cs39ford

One more

Attached Files:

30. corncobcoupe