Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Southwest Nostalgia Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spikeshotrods, Mar 2, 2014.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

2. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I don't know what you're doin sitting there reading this... Get out here!!!

3. mopacltd

mopacltd

How's the racin going?

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Went! Was good too!!! I shot lots of car show pictures and will load and post in the morning.

5. mopacltd

mopacltd

Cool! Looking forward to your pictures being posted.

6. Glen

Glen

wanna know what tire shake feels like? this camera is mounted solid....its not a flimsy mount. I should have ran my launch retard longer due to the track temp and settled for a slower run.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oOABGMDlDlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Awe Glen, that sucks! I heard it but didn't get to see it happen. From what I was told it kicked the blower belt too.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Gang,

Been going 200mph for the last couple of days winding up something long over due. I realized after the fact that all I had pictures of was the car show, as that and the H.A.M.B. booth were my primary duties for the day.

I didn't do to much pushing for the Mini bike gang to come out and invade the place, as with the new venue I wasn't too sure how accepted they would be. I do promise that as time clicks off before the next event I will promote that idea again, as long as Spike and Mark are up for the deal.

Gotta say thanks to Beatnik Pirate for hangin' out a bit! It's always fun to see you guys from other states here at our events.

Attached Files:

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

And a bit more...

Attached Files:

11. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

Thanks to Glen, Nick and Chip for all your help you guys are much appreciated.

Thanks to all the HAMB Guys and Gals that came out to support what will probably be the last Southwest Nostalgia Drags. Given the low spectator, racer and car show count with the 4 free parking lot type shows around town, racing in Tucson & Las Vegas going on the same time made it tough on us. We also have the problem with the current management wanting to double & triple up events on the same day. We had a number of our customers complaining of 2 hr tech line waits, missing 2 time trials calls while waiting in the Tech line and feeling that they were not treated as well as the weekend warriors.

People are also having trouble with being charged an extra $10.00 for a Car Show# Card & $10.00 for a Tech Card by us after the Track hits them with a $15.00 Spectator & $30.00 Racer fee.

The fact is that the only way Mark and I can be reimbursed for our time and money spent promoting this deal is to charge for those cards.

Unless the track wants to offer us some other kind of deal or we can secure another venue I think we are going to have to let it go..........

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn man, that's not what I wanted to hear...

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

That sucks, always viewed that track as kinda "big time" and not quite appropriate for a nostalgia type event anyways but now the only option in these parts unless an available big chunk of asphalt is hiding under our noses somewhere. If we could only find an "Eagle Field" type venue to have some fun on. Would SIR in Tucson be out of the question?

14. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

Sorry to hear that Spike. I was all ready to come out and make some runs, but woke up with a Migraine headache. Not conducive to driving a pissed off farm implement across town. Very sorry I missed it.

I was also thinking about Tucson, although it is a drive. If only someone could get there hands on SpeedWorld/Phoenix Dragway!!

Thanks to Spike and Mark for several years of a great event. Hopefully somewhere to run it will come up.

15. jerry

jerry

Seems like new "owner" with the same "mis"management team. The more it changes, the more it stays the same!

Best of luck with everything Mark and Spike, thanks for the memories!

jerry

16. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

The vibe of this last event was certainly different. I sure miss Speedworld. I sure wont miss, "oh, you're on the list? That'll be $30 AND $15 for your lady friend there... oh, what do you mean she's on the list too..."

There are some private airstrips around. I've sent info to Spike a few times. Maybe we can check into that. 1/8th mile flag drops could be done on a half mile strip and there are at least three possibilities within 100 miles or less from downtown. The guy(s) that can make something like that happen would be legends. ...

17. Glen

Glen

I think you hit it on the head with the fact the valley is swamped with car shows, cruise nights, Goodguys twice a year, Pavillions every Saturday, Nancy Perry shows etc. I didn't even go to goodguys this year.

It has watered down the calendar so much nobody is motivated to get off the couch. The nice thing about multiple group/race events on the same track day is it allows the track to spend money....on the track. VHT compound is expensive and you cant have fast cars without it.

if there were spectators they would have appreciated a nice car count to keep it exciting.

If the track has to schedule three events on the same day to stay open.....at least they are open?

18. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Supposedly they rent this place out for events. http://www.testprofessionals.com/apg.html

http://www.arizonamustangcarclub.com/event_ford_proving_grounds.html

Right next door to Speedworld and looks to have at least a couple straights 50' or so wide by about 2 miles long.

19. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I wanted to do some testing at those places and they charge over $1000 an hour and you are not allowed to drive your own vehicle.

20. mopacltd

mopacltd

The old Chrysler proving grounds property is still available to be purchased about 5 miles north of Speedworld.

21. mopacltd

mopacltd

The cost of staying in business sometimes makes if hard for some of us to participate in the sport we love.

22. saltracer

saltracer

really sorry to hear this. I try to promote Nostalgia racing on my facebook (Sotuthern Gassers) account and it is kind of strange how some events are so successful and others just can't seem to get off the ground.

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

the truly sad part about this Saltracer is that this was a very successful event for many years at it's original home track location. Our beloved 52 year old home track was closed suddenly last year for political reasons, and the event just didn't translate well to the newer, glossy, bigger track left in town. We have lost a large chunk of fun in our hot rod season in Phoenix with the passing of this event....