Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical besides vintage speed and Speedway 2x2's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pug}{maN, Mar 19, 2014.

1. I would like to bolt on one of them 2x2's on my four barrel intake but all I've been hearing is bad. does anybody make a good one?

Attached Files:

2. What have you head was "bad" about the adapter????

3. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Other than they look like hell?

If you want to go for the "look" of 2 x 2's, why would you bother with an adapter that OBVIOUSLY shows you really dont have a 2 x 2 intake? The 4 barrel carb will preform better so the actual performance of the engine cant be your goal. With that in mind.... I have to ask... Why do it?

4. Went with Dick's hot rod carbs he's going to build me one for my setup

5. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Don't listen to the dopes who post for no other reason than to take up space and have absolutely no experience with what you are asking. My Vintage Speed set-up is terrific, runs better than the previous 4-bbl and is great eye candy. I wouldn't go back, I love it!

Attached Files:

6. bgaro

bgaro

there is not really any manifolds available for sbc, to run 2x2. you only see tri-power. i once saw a set up where a guy used a tri-power manifold and blocked the center with a fancy finned cover.

gecko54 likes this.
  7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I think EELCO made the original 2x2 adapter and Thickstun made the super RARE 2x2 manifold for SBC's.

8. I ran the Vintage Speed adapter with 94's on my sedan when I had it and it worked great.

Attached Files:

9. Well the only way to run a 2x2 on an SBC without an adapter would be to run a pair of wide base holley 2 bbls on a 2x4 intake. The most common setup is to run a pair of 500s, most of the engines that see the street won't run on 1000 cfm all at once and unless you are using a tunnel ram with a huge open plenum it is really hard to get them to run well progressive. Other then a tunnel ram with a top built for the 2x2 you will still have to adapt the 2 bbls to the 2x4.

That said, I am not posting for my own enjoyment, and while I am probably a dope I have some idea what I am talking about when it comes to performance induction. Some like the look of 2 strombergs and I do get the function follows form crowd, its all about the look. Never the less, 2 stombergs on an intake, adapted to an intake designed to run a single 4 is never going to run as well as a single 4 on the same intake unless the single 4 setup was pretty crappy to start with. For instance, if you were running a single holley 600 vac secondary and replaced it with a pair of strombergs you just choked your intake flow by about 200 cfm. 3 strombergs is about 600 cfm give or take a little bit when flowed at the same rate as a modern 4 bbl. Now suppose your engine performed really well at 750 which is as common as the 600 cfm carb. You cath my drift correct?

Some like the look and I don't have a problem with it, it can be setup to run OK, but it will never outperform the intake with its intended use.

10. Koz

Koz

Everything Porkandbeaner said is true. I have more than a little experience with these and I will say the Vintage speed adapter that use the Rochester 2GC carbs is vastly superior to the Speedway style that uses the Holley 94, (preferable) or Strombergs. This is because of the Rochester carbs, not the adapter design. I have run them both progressive and straight up and the straight up just works better. If you don't have a hood the 2x2 is a bit louder than the four barrel, but when set up right, it performs about the same as a 600 CFM Edelbrock or Quadrajet.

If you set them up right, they are very crisp off the line and perform almost as well up top. MPG is just slightly less than the four barrel but not enough to worry about. I will add, they seem to work better on a stick car with a light flywheel, just my seat of the pants opinion.

My two cents.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I couldn't agree more. I ran a Vintage Speed setup on my 23 and loved the look of it. It was very dependable (two Rochester 2G's and scoops) but have to admit that the single Edelbrock four barrel I had on it originally did run slightly better with a little more power. However, I was very glad I made the change to the VS setup and would do it again in a heartbeat. It changed the entire look of the car.

My suggestion to someone who doesn't like the looks is DON'T BUY ONE FOR YOUR CAR, but don't tell everyone else how they should build their own cars.

Don

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't comment on SBC 2x2. But when I removed the 2x2 on a single carb flathead manifold I fount the fuel distribution poor near some ports and there was signs of fuel pooling and not atomising properly.

13. I told dick I had a GM Goodwrench crate 350, he told me to get a street master intake then he set me up with a adapter and 2 Holly 94's . From what I read on here i trust him plus the money is already sent so no turning back now .

14. Don
    I don't have a problem with the look, hot rodding for the most part is all about the pose. It has to look the part and you and I will both have to agree that a lot of what has been and always will be in hot rodding is a sheep in wolf's clothing. We all get it.

I do have a problem when someone talking out their ass and trying to tell the rest of us that we have no idea what we are talking about.

I don't care if anyone runs one any more then the guy who runs one should care if I don't. Hell I like bullet lug nuts but I would not tell everyone that my car handled better with bullets that it did with stock nutz. It just defies common sense.

15. alchemy

alchemy

P'nBer is wise.

16. just an update I emailed ventage speed before I ever started this thread they have still not returned my email , dick called me last night and got my money and has started on it said it would take 2 weeks, still have not heard from Ventage speed...also these are not all off the shelf units everything is custom done to your specs asked me what colors I wanted different types of fuel lines everything was custom..more updates as it goes along

17. I'm getting the eelco one

18. Koz

Koz

Dicks hot rod carbs does great work. I've seen one of their setups and it was very nicely done. Charlie Price can be a little behind sometimes but he is a good guy as well. The only reason I suggested Vintage Speed before I knew you had already ordered one is that they are the only ones I know of that have the adapter for the Rochesters.

By the way, It is well known that the Holleys are my personal favorites and are super good carbs.

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

you could always modify a stock manifold..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. alchemy

alchemy

That's not what I've heard. I've heard he's a big ass. My brother can provide a personal account, as well as many other HAMBers on various threads.

21. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Outstanding execution! THAT looks great!!! Much, much better than a bolt-on plate for a 4 barrel manifold!

22. Koz

Koz

They do, (Vintage Speed), have a history of being "tough" to deal with, especially if you get his wife on the phone. I have my wife call and order and I don't have any problems, (now that's a scary thought, somebody that is compatible with my sweetie!). I will say that he has got to be one of the most knowledgeable people I've ever dealt with on early hot rod carburation and he does have the right stuff. Neither he or his wife has ever been anything other than cordial to me although I know others have said otherwise. They are tough to deal with sometimes and the wait can be a bit he won't sell you crap and one of the few people that sell the correct tapered power valves for Holley 94's. I think they make them inhouse? Most places sell you four barrel valves and then you wonder why they leak.

Not defending the mans manners, just saying he has his place.

23. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

They have been fine with me on ebay, maybe that's the way to go.

24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

So you're saying the intake manifold that he sent to me which had the heat risers full of BONDO and water outlets so pitted it wouldn't seal isn't crap? Or maybe you're referring to the mismatched 97's that had half assed repaired southwind heater holes drilled in the tops. Naw, it's gotta be the linkage that wouldn't grip the throttle shafts. All top shelf stuff here from Mr. Price.

25. what sold me on dicks was the options he gives you to make it exactly what you want , he's painting them the exact color I want gave me three different options on fuel rails three different options of what carburetors I wanted to run probably 5 different air cleaner styles I mean I can't say for his quality yet but so far I'm very pleased oh and this was all at the same price as the others

26. David Chandler

David Chandler

Are they open between both sides of a 180 degree intake manafold? Or is the casting made to keep both sides separate?

27. David Chandler

David Chandler

Can anyone tell me if the "Vintage Speed" adaptors are made for 180 degree intakes? Or are they wide open on the underside, so that the engine "sees" all four barrels, all of the time?

28. look on their website there's a computer aided CAD drawing of it right on the homepage

29. got the street master intake today still waiting on a email from Ventage speed

Attached Files:

30. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

So where would one find a manifold like that? That's not a typical backyard mechanic job, those were done by someone who knew what they were doing. If I could find someone with that kind of talent, I would ship them a stock SBC alum. manifold and have them make the modifications.