Register now to get rid of these ads!

What have you burnt welding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratty_aussie, Feb 5, 2012.

1. gow589gow

gow589gow
    from Indiana

I don't know how many times when TIG welding I pause only for the tip of the wire to find it's way to my belly while I examine the work. I usually smell the flesh right before I feel the sting.

I was getting ready to use the plasma torch one day. I had all my safety gear on, goggles, ear muffs, face shield, etc. Right before I was going to use it I reached up to re-adjust my goggles because they were falling down with all the other "Safety Equipment" on my head.

As I was adjusting my goggles, I heard the air valve kick on meaning.....I pulled the trigger......and the tip was pointing at my head and was in fact up against my head. As soon as I heard the air valve I pulled both hands away and dropped everything. As I did the plasma blew off my head leaving a 2" diameter circle clear of hair.

The smell of burnt flesh and hair with a lock of hair on the ground. I just started laughing.

2. let see, me the car the flower bed and yard a box of parts and the can of primer. can not count the rags that have went up in flames.

3. Saubrenner

Saubrenner

I spent 20 years as a 462.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Cuff of my pants under my coveralls. It was the last time I worn jeans with frayed cuffs.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bottom third of a 55 Gallon plastic barrel that I use for a pet water dish. When we lived at another house it was out by my workshop shed and more than once I stuck a foot in it when my cuff was on fire.
    [​IMG]

6. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

My arms, my face, my ears, my feet, my wee wee, my legs.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. iarodder

iarodder

Caught the headliner on fire in a car I was tryin to save it in without taking it out, needless to say it now has a matching hole on the other side (on purpose) of the car that I stuffed two nice looking dome lights in....and my clothes, myself, etc...etc...

8. stimpy

stimpy

a pair of supposedly fireproof treated work pants , they went back to the source with a nice note telling them to find a better treatment as half the right legs was burned and melted ( they were supposed to be cotton acording to the label )
    , one of my nostrils when i was chipping slag went right up and got stuck right on the edge , heard it sizzle smelt the stink , and only have to trim one nostril no, so it did have a partial good point , but it looked like like I had a hamburger hanging from the hole for a month till it healed..

but the best one wasn't me . why is it when someone watches you heat a part chery red and label it HOT in big letters with a soapstone . do they have to pick it up bare handed right after you set it down with a pair of Pliers ?? one of the brainchildren ( know it all customer) did this at the shop one day . picked it up and heard the sizzle of his fingertips coming off and dropped it and looked at me like I was the idiot ... and he wonders why I call him a dumbass .
    hes the same idiot who wired up my welder ( 220 1ph) and only used 2 wires both hot and no ground , so the first time I touched the buzz box I heard/felt the buzz in my body .. after that he wasn't allowed to help do anything ..

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Skin,socks and clothes and some how had the bottom of the creeper on fire.

10. Burned my pants leg but didn't realize it because I couldn't see my leg due to the helmet. Once I felt the heat I knew.

11. dont you mean what havent you burnt.....lol

12. I don't weld a lot but the worst I've got so far is a hot spark in the ear. It makes me cringe when I read some of these stories. Roasting my own weenie is not something I want to try. Geezus!

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

had a similar incident to yours. was cutting out a crossmember and every inch was covered except my ears--there was a pop and that was all she wrote. lost 40% of my ear drum and it almost took surgery to repair it.

regularly have drops into the top of my shoes and of course the crotch burn from welding while sitting down.

not welding but I've also hit the exact same spot on my knee with the angle grinder twice. that sucks too.

14. ravedodger

ravedodger

Highschool welding shop. Just finished a small lap weld for a test. Turned off the oxy/gas and took off my hood. Decided I was hot and took off my gloves. Went to grab my work of art that was red hot not 10 seconds earlier and burned the shit out of three fingers. They stuck to the project and I had to shake my arm so it would fly off. Promptly shoved my cooked fingers into my mouth and they tasted like pork rinds. I didn't have pork rinds for years after that. I also never again took off my gloves right before grabbing something hot either.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. I guess I've burned all the usual suspects, (never burned my wee wee though) but one that stands out in my memory was the bright red BB that went up my nose. That sucker made it all the way up in behind my eye ball before it stopped to sizzle. Took me half an hour to clean all the snot out of my helmet! Afterwards I was telling the boss about it, his comment was that a real man wouldn't have broken the arc. Asshole!
    One year my wife gave me a nice fluffy flannel vest for Christmas, I lit that bastard up the first time I wore it to the garage. I don't know what it was made out of, but I had burning gooey shit dripping on the floor, before I got it off of me. Fortunately I had enough clothes on under it so I didn't get burned much.

16. badgeree

badgeree

I was upside down, in a big Shelving arrangment. Using an Oxy, with the wrong hand and passed it right across one of my fingers. Felt a bit of heat and it smelt like really bad BBQ. Then it hurt like blazes. Went to the ER and they got me mixed up with some guy who had broken his finger. Took me to XRay, (I asked why and was told "Standard Procedure".
    The XRay dude nearly puked when he unwrapped and saw and smelt my blackened, oozing finger.
    Still makes me cringe thinking about it.