Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 52 chevy... Hmm, what to do....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Mar 24, 2014.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

So Im getting a 52 chevy... Figured it would be fun for me and my boys to fix it up... Its been wrecked in the front so while im fixing and replacing parts what neat can you do with the front of this thing?

Im going to let them pick everything to do to the car than let them help me do it....

So far keep the inliner, put 2 fish carbs on, headers, orange paint with black/white scallops and same color of roof...

They wanna lower it too...

Picking this thing by trading for a motorcycle I have $200 in... lol

Ideas, opinions?

Edit* I had the year wrong as a 54... I got it changed, my apologies

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That ain't no '54.

3. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

... O poop... I forgot the other one I was looking at was a 54... This ones a 52... My bad...

Just had a little girl... And sleeps not one of those things I get much of anymore.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

5. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I showed them gassers... They dont really like them...
    Stock this car has a straight axle correct?

6. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They had IFS stock in '52

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

here are three different versions

hubcaps
    [​IMG]

chrome reverse
    [​IMG]

mags
    [​IMG]

8. whisky runner

whisky runner

what are you planning to do.. stay stock mild custom or full out custom

9. 50 Fastback

50 Fastback

I'm going for kind of a muscle car stance.

Attached Files:

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Keep the rocker panel level, that's bad ass.

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

You better get them boys checked out, lol.

12. i always thought on those cars that they look right nosed and the hood sectioned.

13. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Im thinking a mild custom... Something that will stand out but not be over the top... They really like chop tops but I dont think I wanna mess with it on this car. lol

14. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

So to lower the car, say 2 inches... Ball joints, springs, control arms? What works best on these cars. I live in the mountains so control is very important to me.

15. It don't have no ball joints either

16. indyjps

indyjps

The green on green with chrome reverse on page 1 is a great looking car. Get it running and driving, swap on disc brakes and a 2 pot master cylinder for control on the mountain roads. If you wanna go with a taller stance, I agree keep the rocker level to the ground, stuff as much tires as you can in the rear and a narrower tire up front, doesn't need to be a skinny. Get a front rim offset that pushes it outboard and doesn't swallow the rim in the wheelwell, it will give the car a late 60's early 70's street freak stance without going gasser. Paint, 2 tone your choice, I like the same color family with the roof being the 2 tone color. Panel paint would fit the street machine era of the tall stance. Wheels, black steelies for low key, maybe slots or torq thrust depending on the era, mix and match those 2 with black steelies as you wish.

17. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Good luck with it. Ems has some great patch panels. Keep us posted.

18. 68vette

68vette

Huuummmmm....what to do?

Go back and get your motorcycle back.....you will be miles ahead of headache 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc. One day, you will remember this post.

Attached Files:

19. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

get a set of springs from Jamco (they make a 3" drop). its is an easy swap. in the back use lowering blocks.

20. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

BaHaHaHa... the most honest post I have ever seen. Nice! lol I been there on mine, too. But now that its almost done and I get to drive it, I have stopped hating it again.:rolleyes:

21. ...here's how some guys did em back in the mid-50's...
    [​IMG]

22. henry29

henry29

What happened to the tops of the quarters and the doors, are they full off bondo?

The raised body line were the molding goes seems to be missing.

23. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

French the headlights.

24. High5

High5

Here's my '51 Chevy coupe. Pretty mild but I let the engine do the talking!

http://[​IMG]

It's a 235 with a Clifford Research intake and Holley 390 4 barrel. Also a 271 duration camshaft with just the right amount of lope. Fenton exhaust manifolds and 30 inch glasspacks.

http://[​IMG]

25. ChanceDean

ChanceDean

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395723634.665276.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395723649.731480.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395723679.201959.jpg
    Low and long is the way to go

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

LOL I dont ride bikes... I use to years ago, but i never manage to keep a bike under 80...
    I did trading on this bike and never even sat on it... Just like I got a colt 1901 pretty much the same way... Sometimes I manage to trade for stuff I dont really know who to sell them too... So I try to get back in the old car stuff... what I know best...

I restore cars for a living but im not really a mechanic, thats what I hire someone else to do. I do everything else.

The car does have a bit of bondo in it but little rust so ill blast it and pound the metal back out...

27. Chop that sucker!:eek: Here is a picture of a 49 ragtop that belonged to my cousin back in the day. 348 powered:cool:

Attached Files:

28. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

be different... and COOL!!!!!:D

Attached Files:

29. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I've been looking for 2 fish carbs to run on a 261 just for something different but have no idea how they would perform. Have you had any experience running dual Fish carbs before?

30. 68vette

68vette

If the aftermarket parts actually fit, if the one piece windshield did not become a 3 piece, if the frenched headlight rim did not fall apart before getting it in, if the CE rear spring kit was not for a truck and actually rode good, if the speedometer did not add 120 miles without ever hitting the road because they said the HEI module was cheap causing it, if the rubber door seals from SS actually would let you put the door and hood closer than a 1 inch gap, and I could keep going....had so many parts that did not work and the suppliers these days charge you shipping regardless even if they recommend the part and it does not fit or work.

I thought I was somewhat pleased with my fleetline but wished I had never sold my 51 ford and never bought this fleetline....

I have a friend that saw mine in progress and he has built many 9-10 grade street rods....says he will be so happy to get his fleetline to the point he can sell it....says he feels ill everytime he looks at it and the crap he put on it that he paid big $$$$ for....I tried to tell him....he says he was stupid for not listening to me now.

Again...thought I could enjoy it for while....it does get more attention than an any car I have seen downtown...folks come out of bars, etc to take photos of it...it is very impressive looking...now it is giving me a fit again....engine this time....plugs last about 200 miles...then foul out...and its a $2800.00 newly rebuilt engine by me....huuummmmmm. The hot 283 with 700R has only gotten 10 mpg so far with 500 miles on it in the 49.

O well....here is another photo of the 49 and my old 51 ford that got 24 mpg running 70 and never gave the first problem in 8 years...305 by me, 350 turbo, air, pw, pb, ps, 84 monte front clip that rode like a caddy....etc

Attached Files: