Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another model A 3" chop thread.....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by adavis, Feb 11, 2014.

1. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Andy was down last night and I saw the video pretty cool. He said he would jump on here and check out the thread, I'm sure he will post it.

2. Andy_H

Andy_H

I have the time lapse video from the weekend chop but I have to figure out how to post up the video here. I may post it on Youtube and then just paste the link to it.

3. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

4. bone31

bone31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oregon

nice looks good, mine is a 4 inch chop plus mistakes

5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Very cool, love the car!

6. Andy_H

Andy_H

I have uploaded the video to YouTube for everyone...

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/q5CqjfePfCs" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

7. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Dagnabbit Aaron, now you got me thinking about lowering the lid on the tudor...

8. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Cool video, nice looking model A.

9. 3" looks perfect ! Well done to all involved.

10. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Love the video, I would try that, but technology would pass me by before I got anything done!! LOL

11. Way cool! Nice job the car looks perfect.

12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

3" looks really great with fenders!

14. adavis

adavis

Spent the last few weeks getting a complete new wood kit in the car. The moldings are finished and the glass installed. Got the header dressed in black and installed along with the intake and fuel lines remade. Also finished relocating a radiator fill neck for the filled and peaked '32 commercial grille I found a couple weeks ago. I pushed her out in the driveway to see what she looked like in the sun and snapped this pic.

[​IMG]

I'm really happy with the way she's turning out. Now I just gotta figure out what I'm gonna do about a headlight bar and she'll be ready for the summer. I'm thinking drop bar with '32 headlights but we'll see.

m.ralph and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  15. Muttley

Muttley

Dropped bar & '34 Commercial's. ;)

16. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

Damn nice car. Good work guys.

17. Christom

Christom

Nice work on the chop! Good to see the offset cut lines method around the rear corners. Should have done mine like that if I'd known then what I know now! Saves a bit of adjusting the odd shapes around the rear corners to get them matching up again nicely. The car looks nicely proportioned now!

18. adavis

adavis

What is the difference between '32 and '34 headlights? Are they the same diameter?

19. Find some lights etc. yet?

20. Elrod

Elrod

21. adavis

adavis

I searched for a dropped headlight bar that would clear the '32 commercial grille but had to finally settle for buying a new one. It is highway robbery what they charge for one that will work with the '32 grille, because it takes no more material and only involves one extra bend. I can understand a little premium.....but 3 TIMES THE COST!? I'm pretty sure I'll be making a jig up when I have time so I can make my own bars from now on. The geometry is kinda funky but and none of the angles are square to another, but since I now have one to go off of it should be a piece of cake.

Anywho, I am still looking for a nice original set of '32 lights, but I put the original 31's back on and think it looks pretty cool so that's the way she'll be for now. I tried to take a couple pics tonight in the garage but they didn't turn out so it will be tomorrow or Saturday before I can post any. The only pic that looked half-way decent was one of the carbs/fuel line so that will have to do for now.........

[​IMG]

22. adavis

adavis

Thanks Elrod. The Question Mark is definitely a major influence in what I'm hoping to attain. Your coupe is so very cool.

23. brenneman

brenneman

Awesome! The best part is the one photo with all the buds stuck to the readiator!!! Shows that she is a REAL Hotrod! Also, If I had that many guys in my garage we would never get a thing done cause we would all be horsing around too much...you guys work together amazingly! Good job you guys!!! Looks great!

24. mike bowling

mike bowling

Nice job. I think 3" is perfect to make the proportions just right on a coupe. Your car is really a beauty- congrats on your work. Mike from Mass. (you've got one of my favorite avatars too, Veddy Interesting!)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  25. adavis

adavis

Well, I loaded her up this morning to take her back to Antique Auto Ranch in Spokane. They rebuilt the B engine for me last year and it seems the rings just aren't going to seat. I'm getting a lot of blow-by and a decent amount of blue smoke, so Mike is standing behind his work and gonna fix whatever is going on. Hopefully its something simple and he can have it done in a week or so. I am heading to Viva Las Vegas in a couple days so I won't miss the coupe too much.
    It didn't really feel right towing her on the trailer, but I didn't have a ride home (75 miles) so there wasn't really any other choice. It DID give me a chance to see how the vinyl top insert looked at 70 mph.....no "ballooning" or flapping at all.
    Here are a couple pictures I took before I put her on the trailer. I'm on the fence about the headlight bar.....I'm thinking I want to paint it black so it doesn't stand out but we'll see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  26. I agree, the headlight bar needs to be black. It makes your A look like it has braces on its teeth

27. adavis

adavis

LOL! I knew something was bugging me about that thing, but that hits the nail on the head! I'll be painting it when she comes home.

28. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

29. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looks good, coming along nicely. Where did you get the dropped headlight bar that fits with a 32 grille??

30. Wardog

Wardog

Awesome car.