Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Switch BACK to Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CFster, Mar 23, 2014.

1. CFster

CFster

I have a '40 Coupe with a TCI chassis underneath. We bought the car this way. It has a SBC. I'm interested in changing back to a flathead. What is involved in changing motor mounts? I assume they have to be welded in, but I don't know the exact locations. Also, I'm not really sure how much the TCI chassis differs from a stock frame as far as measurements go. Also, does it have the current provisions for clutch linkage...

- CF

2. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

To mount a flathead to that frame is rather simple. Many aftermarket side mount kits have the needed frame bracket as well as the rubber engine mount that's identical to what Ford used on the flathead for many years. To get the proper location for the mount ask the question on the Ford Barn site there's a lot of original V-8 owners who can guide you on that detail.
    Your clutch linkage will need to be custom made but once again that's not a big deal. The linkage will depend on what transmission you decide to use. If its the old Ford three speed then a cross shaft set up is needed. but if you go with a more modern gear box like T-5 or Tremec than a simple linkage assembly can be made or even a hydraulic throw out bearing assembly can be used.

3. Does it have an axle or IFS? If it still has an axle in the front, you would need to find an original front crossmember. Flatheads mounted on the crosmember in 35-40.

As far as clutch linkage- I think that's not too hard to make work. As far as I know, the clutch ball and pivot is bolt on, and I think is reproduced.

4. CFster

CFster

It has an IFS.

5. CFster

CFster

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking of. They must weld to the rails?

6. Yes. You'll have to suspend the motor over the chassis and see where they fall. The IFS crossmember is at the centerline of the wheels, so the mounts will go directly above it or slightly forward. The original mounts were on the crossmember and the CM was in front of the wheel centerline.

7. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Yep those are the mounts to use very common lots of suppliers sell them. Contact Wintec In Wallingford they make the side mount kits 203-265-3617

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  8. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The TCI frame for '35-'40 Fords is designed to accept only SBC's. Any other engine install will meet with disfavor from rod owners. I am just kidding you. Ryan should REALLY like this comment !

10. indyjps

indyjps

Have you called TCI? They may have a flathead mounting set up and be able to give you dimensions off reference points on their frame?

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

If I were in your situation, I'd invest some time in searching for an owner of a stock '40 who would like to swap chassis with you. I imagine a body swap would be far less difficult than re-engineering your TCI/SBC setup back to stock Ford.

12. CFster

CFster

I can't stand talking to those guys.

13. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Makes sense.

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I'm with 50fraud.

15. I too agree with 50fraud.
    Do a body lift and swap frames and running gear. Waaay less complicated.

16. Jason455

Jason455

Welding mounts in would be way easier in my opinion