Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Zip ties

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

I think the H.A.M.B. has ruined me. I used to use (and still do) use zip ties like crazy. But lately, every time I use one I feel ashamed. Zip ties cant be traditional can they? When were they first used? 70s? 80s? What would be a better alternative?

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Baling wire. More traditional but not better.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Metal "zip ties" were used in the early 30s. They were essentially a small 'T' shaped strip with a slot in the top. You slid the strip portion through and folded it over. Also, not a 'T' but a 1/4" strip of metal (I used brushed thin stainless in restoration) was simply wrapped around and 'pinched' tight enough to retain whatever it was designed to. Last but not least, there's the waxed thread method that most refer to as a "lineman's knot" (I think) and that was covered here a few years ago. Hidden zip ties cause no ruffled feathers. I won't tell if you don't...

4. caton462

caton462

I remember metal straps in the 60s that worked like zip ties, pulled through the eye then folded over. I still see them at some parts stores.

5. D-man313

D-man313

Are we really that picky about using a zip tie that you will never see?

6. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Tape...............tape it all!

7. I used ty-raps in the 60's I just don't think they were available in every store. Just industrial places. And they were always that milky white.

8. squirrel

squirrel

when I get home, I'll have to look in my mid-late 60s Allied catalogs.

I remember first messing with a zip tie in the mid 70s.

Lacing twine is the way to go.

http://selectric.org/manuals/lacing/index.html

But hot rodders often used friction tape.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

10. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Ya, I use them, I was just thinking about places out in the open where you can see them, maybe I could use something different. My car is a 62 chevy and kinda goin for a 60s street racer thing. Again, I think the H.A.M.B. has ruined me, a few years back I would have never thought about this!!!!:D

11. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Stop sweating tradition, and think safety and neatness. Wiring kits are not traditional and most people use zip ties to keep wires in order. Treat technology like a Chinese menu pick and chose what you want. We are no longer in Kansas

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I like tape under the hood where seen but cheat and will use small black zip ties under the dash.

13. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Apparently------damn!!!

14. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Amen---but why do I hear banjos??

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

With the poor quality of zip ties these days, I hesitate to use them on anything. One batch I had would break when you pulled them snug.

16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I used thin stainless wire to lace two oil lines together on my my flat head. I dont think I would use it on wiring fearing it might chafe the wire and short shit out but it worked well on the oil lines.

17. I think you need to buy them from an Electrical Supply Dealer not the big box stores etc. I have had the chepo's not lock tight.

18. If you want quality zip-ties, buy the ones with the metal 'catch' in the head. They'll cost more, but will never fall off...

These have been around in the electrical industry since the 60s (Thomas & Betts was the originator IIRC), but didn't see wider usage until the basic patents expired, at which point copies appeared.

19. In the late 60s the only place I knew to get them was the telephone man.

20. rustang

rustang

++1.... My uncle worked for Ma Bell hi whole life... We would get boxes of zip ties (grey only) and a really good epoxy like job weld (but better) from him... This started about the late 60s....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

I cringe everytime I see one, to be honest. Even on newer OT stuff.

Maybe you arent.....

22. sadsack

sadsack

zipties are as traditional as t6s behind flatties
    sadsack

23. what about screw on filters

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What about wire coat hangers?

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When did the AACA take over this site ????

26. two zip ties equal a bolt....three zip ties equal a weld:eek::D

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You are buying the wrong brand, buy Ancor brand marine wire ties, they are just as high in quality as every other wiring component Ancor makes. You can get them on line or at places like West Marine. They are not as inexpensive as the Home Depot ones, but so much better.

Yes, maybe black taping wiring is more traditional, but it sure is harder to troubleshoot a wiring problem when all the wires are bundled up together as opposed to being visible in a bundle that is wire tied together. Some traditional things can be improved upon.

Don

28. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Tradition is what I think it is, not what you think it is (on my car only).

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

Zip Ties not traditional????? Just like separating Fly Shit from pepper.

30. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395623458.667514.jpg
    I was really particular about my re-wiring job. I tried to stay as close to factory original as I could.

I had a hard time finding replacements but no wire tie company sells them. Sure enough there is a seller on eBay. One on the left is original one on the right is repop. They plug into a hole in the firewall or side wall and then you run the wire through and attach to the front clip.

Before I get chewed by the thread police, I know this was not OPs question but I was considering wire ties myself.

Hope this helps