Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects E-Z Boy interior thread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Ok guys and girls,
    As most of you know by now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I couldn't decide where to put this thread.
    Mods, if I put this in the wrong spot, or you don't think it's a worthy thread, kill it. No offense taken.
    Now, I'm selling my O/T Corvette to finish my '47 tudor. I need to install new glass, interior, and generally tighten up the old girl so that if I get caught out in a Texas frog drowner, I can get home to the garage without ruining my interior. The 'Vette will bring enough to finish my tudor, hopefully with a complete brake rebuild included.
    My build theme is mid 60's high school hot rod. Given that, I decided that instead of having someone stitch up a high dollar interior that would stick out like a diamond in a goat's a**, I would use a ready made interior.
    In the mid 60's, most of us went to Rayco for an interior, and Earl Shieb for a paint job.
    I decided on E-Z Boy for the interior. First, because they had the patterns and styles I wanted, but then when they were taken on by LeBaron Bonny I was sure these were the people I wanted for my interior.
    So, let's get to the reason for burning this bandwidth. Could we start a picture thread of E-Z Boy interiors? Would that be Kosher?
    I know there are a TON of interior threads out there, but I'd like a thread on this specific company's work, to see how it looks, how it stands up, etc.
    I'm betting there are several E-Z Boy interiors on the HAMB, and it might help some of us make decisions on style, and colors.
    Like I said, mods, if this is a problem, so be it.
    BTW, on my black '47 tudor, I'm going with tomato red interior. Thanks, Mike

Attached Files:

2. This Should Be Interesting !:)

3. These are pics from a '30 tudor I built eons ago, all E-Z boy, all done by me, an amateur upholsterer. It was actually not that hard since they had all the patterns on hand. The seat was from an early 90's caravan. That is an actual stitched pattern in the seat, not a decal. Quality was pretty good. I think out the door it was around $1400..Now after all this time..I can see the flaws in the job. Not perfect for a first timer, but ok.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread! I've been thinking of using E-Z Boy for the interior on my '36 3w and User feedback will be my deciding factor. Let's hear about them, guys........

5. TinkerByTrade

TinkerByTrade

I'm anxious to follow this thread also. My 31 roadster is close to needing interior and I was thinking about EZ Boy too. I've already talked to them about having patterns for Fiero seats with the headrest removed...and they do! I know this thing is gonna get wet so I'm really interested in hearing from others with experience. Thanks Mike for starting this thread.

6. Primeisnotacrime,
    The flaws in the job is one of the reasons why I want to use the "seat cover" system instead of taking the car to a high end upholsterer. I got some quotes here locally, and they were in the $10,000 range! Now really fellas, $10,000 for an interior in an $8,000 driver is a bit goofy, if you ask me. Add to that, after looking at their work, those interiors deserved to be in WMBR contestants, not some high school kid's hot rod.
    I'm trying to get that coveted "Driveway" feel.
    I have friends that own six figure street rods, and I can tell you up front, they are wayyyy more protective of their interiors than I plan to be.

BTW, I really like the striping in the seats!

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Surely there are interior shops/guys in the Dallas area the will do an interior for a lot less than 10 grand...??? Texas CANNOT be that expensive all the time...!!!

Here in the Denver area there are the high-end shops that do interiors for 10 g's, but there are also guys that'll do a complete for around $2500-$3500...that'd be more in tune with your "driveway" feel... I suggest you keep looking for that one guy that works out of his home garage or basement...they're around...

R-

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am curious on how they are,even though I can stitch up a interior sometimes time and room to work on it is a factor and thinking about buying a interior from them on my next project. I am thinking about getting back into buying cars to flip after a season and if I can get a interior made up and can install over a weekend for a reasonable price then that might be the way to go.

9. Thanks Mike!

I was going for more of a low buck approach also, the car was a driver, not a show and shine piece. That's one of the reason's why I went with a vinyl interior instead of leather so if it got a rip or a tear I could patch it up cheaply. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, I had the same frame of mind you did, I couldn't see the cost of a high price interior on this particular car and when I sold it, the new owner "got it" also. I bought the kit before Lebarron Bonney bought the company so I don't know if the quality is any better?. I think if you wanted a better outcome visually, you could buy a EZ boy kit and have an upholsterer install it, it would save on cutting and stitching up patterns from scratch and all you would pay for is the labor and expertise to install and still look decent. BTW, the kit was an ENTIRE kit including:

full loop carpet for whole car
    headliner
    door panels ( front and rear)
    material for kick panels
    main seat cover
    ABS backing door panels
    au-ve-co clips
    shipping included

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  10. "you could buy a EZ boy kit and have an upholsterer install it"

I have a guy in my neighborhood that has several award winning interiors under his belt, and he gets it also. He is, as luck would have it, a Lebarron Bonney preferred installer and knows the right people to talk to.
    I will have him do the headliner, armrests,visors, and package tray, and I will do the door panels and kickpads. He will install the seat covers because we need to bring the driver's seat back up to par. The carpet just lays on the floor in 47's.
    The girl at LB suggested I buy enough extra carpet to do the trunk. She says it kills a ton of noise.
    I have 5 brand new Juliano's seat belts to go in while we are at it.
    Don't think anyone ever sat in the back seat.
    The old girl is supposedly a true 60,000 mile survivor.
    I may not have done the glass, but the gaskets were toast, and no point taking old clouded glass out and not putting new back in. Besides, the windshield/back window has to come out to do the headliner.

11. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

This thread is already of great value to me. Thanks for putting it out there. Late last week, I got a $5500 quote from a local shop to recover my seats, door panels and install a stock headliner. I felt that was too steep. Maybe others will disagree, but Mike Britton's comment is the one that best reflects my reality: they are charging me half the value of the car for interior work. There has to be a better way. This looks promising.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

5500 is not too bad considering the price of materials and supplies these days,doing a complete interior is not as easy as it looks and usually snowballs into a larger project. Vinyl is around 15 dollars a yard and up plus a 5 gallon can of glue is around 100 dollars plus the expense of everything else and a small shop can not make any money these days,yes it seems high but when you take in consideration all the other expenses a shop has to pay then you will realize they are not making all profit on the job.

13. ^^^^^ I agree. Before all you interior guys come after me with pitchforks, I want to say that I don't have a beef with what a shop wants to charge for their work.
    It's easy, if you think it's too much, no one says you have to pay it. Most time, you get what you pay for.
    Point I'm trying to make here is that certain builds don't warrant the work. Either because of the cost, or because the rest of the car isn't up to the level of the interior.
    Went to GG last week, saw some cars out there with stunning paint, and home made interiors. Kept looking at them thinking "which of these things does not belong".

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I could not afford to pay what it would cost to do a interior so i learned to to do it myself.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am looking into this for my daily '60 Falcon. No show, all go, but I want a full interior.

16. 2002p51

2002p51

This is an E-Z Boy seat cover we put on 3 or 4 years ago.

[​IMG]

It was easy to do and is holding up well. Got a very good HAMB Alliance discount too!

17. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

@junkyardjeff - You are right. They earn their money. They have a right to have a profit at the end of the day. The shop I visited did not seem to have lots of wasteful overhead, but was not a dump. If my car warranted that kind of spend, they would have easily got the job.

My issue is the cost of the job relative to the value of the car. From what I see in the Lebaron-Bonney/E-Z Boy materials.... I can do this myself with their help.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I understand the cost vs the value of the vehicle issue,you put 5000 extra money in a 8000 car and its not going to be worth much more,I would like to see a complete E-Z boy interior to get a idea on how they look.

19. colordeluxe

colordeluxe

Here is an Easy Boy in my 57 Ford pick-up. Nice quality, reasonable price.

Attached Files:

20. Colordeluxe,
    I could happily live with that in my 47.
    Clean, tight, looks great.

My interior guy is trying to talk me into leather. I can appreciate how much nicer leather would look, and how well it would wear, but I still think it would be wrong for a high school hot rod. Add to that, there comes a point that you have so much invested, both monetarily, and emotionally, you don't enjoy throwing all your friends in and going to the bar.

Attached Files:

21. Bump for the morning crew

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I've been thinking about buying from EZ. Does anyone know if the kits have all the cushioning to replace all the stuffing inside the old seats?

It amazes me how the old seats were built up with burlap, cotton, foam, and anything else they could get their hands on.

23. syxxstring

syxxstring

Im watching this closely, I have an interior to get done on a 61 Falcon Wagon and a 61 Ranchero. They're destined to be more drivers than show car and I've been looking for something that would be affordable and nice.

24. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I did my 61 Dodge in Pearl White and Zodiac Fuschia flake. The only thing I wans't crazy aobut was the quality of the carpeting they offer. It's the shiny nylon type stuff, not the semi glossy, softer, loop carpeting.

Attached Files:

25. When we were coming in from Maine last year we swung by the LB shop and got a tour of sorts. They were finishing their give away car which happened to be a 47 2drsd if I remember correctly. The tech guys were doing it out back and I can say it looked pretty darn nice.
    I subsequently ordered one of their kits for my 64 Belair custom. I got the full interior seating, headliner and enough matching material to do the door panels, package tray and the complete trunk myself. Total cost shipped in was $1121. Got the carpet from another source (Trim Parts) with new scuff plates. The seats are being done by a upholstery buddy of mine and they are coming out quite nice. He was impressed with the quality of their work. Thought I had pics somewhere. If I find them I will post them up.
    I would use LB again for sure. They are great to work with and I feel their workmanship is quality stuff.

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think the quality of all the automotive carpet has went down hill during the last few years.

27. I wasn't the guy that did the seats(previous owner), but did finish alot of little things with there product on the car..
    [​IMG]
    yah, i should also add that this is a 13 year old interior and i've had my ass in it myself for 30K+
    Won't break the bank, wears good, and i'm not worried about getting it a little dirty

28. jcs64

jcs64

did the ezboy route on my 51 plym and I love it. This was my first interior and I jumped in heads fist.
    Pre made Seat covers for the 51 ford benches I used.
    New foam (some I had, some new from the local joanne fabric store)
    Extra pleated material bought by the yrd to make my door panels, rear package tray and kick panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these are what I started w/
    [​IMG]

starting the "stretch"
    [​IMG]

I even gave the headliner a shot! The fabric store had a sale on wedding gown material and I thought it would perfectly fit the look so I bought 4 yrds, LOL
    Now its one of my favorite parts of the car.

[​IMG]

the whole build is here if anyone cares
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581049

later,jeff

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    lowcoe likes this.
  29. Bump one last time...